Camplite brand trailers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Wherever we stop [camping, gassing up, etc.] it's kinda neat to find
no one has heard of the brand or even heard of the "egg" camper.
Being unique is always interesting to those who see them.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Since the frame is all welded, and I can't see any rivets on the side panels, the only places that might have rivets are the window/door frames and perhaps at the panel edges. But then again, perhaps they are screws... I can't tell. Do you have any info on this?
On the Camplite products that I have seen there are fasteners (I think rivets, but that's from memory and maybe they're self-tapping screws?) along the entire length of every panel joint (the sides are not one sheet of aluminum) and the length of every edge (they use extrusions or formed sheet pieces over the edges)... at closely spaced intervals. Even the smallest unit must have hundreds. It is very much like an Airstream, but flat instead of curved, and with top edges.

I just looked at their website photos, and found it almost impossible to see these fasteners. I don't think they're hiding anything, but this reinforces the importance of seeing products first-hand or at least with very detailed images and specifications.

I didn't notice any quality problems in the trailers and slide-in truck camper I've been in, but they are - ummm - basic, so there's not a lot to get wrong. As I said, a carefully constructed home metalworking project - that was not intended as a negative term, just descriptive.

For some people I'm sure they're great, and I do appreciate that they have taken a different approach.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Camplite/Livin Lite is now part of Thor Industries
Thor Buys Lightweight Trailer Maker Livin’ Lite | RV Business
Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Interesting. Thor has acquired a lot of RV companies, several of them when they were going cheap in the economic downturn a few years ago. At one point they had a corporate web page showing something like 50 brand names, but the current list looks much shorter... because they have retired many of the old names, even if they have continued the product lines.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
So many different brands of "fiberglass" trailers and most have a following on Yahoo[groups] or other forums... if you're TRULY interested when it comes to problems/accolates... Google is your friend.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #26

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
Quote:
Interesting so now Livin' Lite is in the same corporate family as Airstream.

Previously before discovering fgrvs I always thought of Airstream as the ultimate dream camper being legendary in quality, durability and performance but after reading Airforums the owners have sadly had their own issues with their Airstreams.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Interesting so now Livin' Lite is in the same corporate family as Airstream.

Previously before discovering fgrvs I always thought of Airstream as the ultimate dream camper being legendary in quality, durability and performance but after reading Airforums the owners have sadly had their own issues with their Airstreams.
That is an interesting move by both Thor and Livin Lite.

You are correct. There are a number of quality issues with Airstream's built in the last decade. IMHO there is no excuse considering the price.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Interesting, I see they are coming out with a micro fifth wheel, will be curious to see how the size compares to the escape 5.0
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #29

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
There is a dealer with a bunch of these tts. I stopped by to look. They use torx fasteners along the edges only. The sides are two sheets of aluminum the entire length of any side. Looks like a tongue and groove between the sheets. There is angled piece along the junction of any two walls covering the junction. Lots of torx along these pieces. No fasteners whatsoever out in the side sheeting unless there is a door, then torx are used.

I really like the livin light tt! Heavier than a fgrv but lighter than a stickie. I think they will have a lifespan similar to a fgrv.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Stckies can be lighter than aluminum and fiberglass trailers of the same size.

We had a stick built trailer identical to Frank's Sunline. It's volume was larger than our Scamp and it was 200 lbs lighter. I attribute the difference to the thin aluminum siding used.

Interestingly it was a true double walled trailer with insulation betweent the walls. The double wall constructon extended to the floor and ceiling.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #31

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I love the aluminum framework concept. I looked at the website and found some design flaws, at least in my mind's eye. Example, look at the awning for the QuickLite. Don't get me wrong as I do wish them luck. I imagine some design changes will come into play as more people give feedback. But man they sure are purtty!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #32

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I got to see them at the RV Show in Austin TX. I was very impressed. The frame and cabinets are all welded aluminum. They had one with the frame extending out about thee feet behind the camper for carrying things like generators, bikes etc. the 16' camper the 13QBB has a queen sized bed, 5 cubic foot refrigerator with freezer, and a dinette. It was a really great floor plan for a 16' camper. The front is round for aero dynamics. I guess the big surprise was the weight. Dry weight of 2350 pounds and a hitch weight of only 170 pounds. The tanks were big too. 20 gallon fresh waster and 27 gallon gray water. The rep told me it was built to last several lifetimes. You can get it with all aluminum cabinets. The one I saw had the spray insulation under the floor and a carpet with snaps that can be taken out and cleaned. The price was only $18500.
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Interesting, I see they are coming out with a micro fifth wheel, will be curious to see how the size compares to the escape 5.0
The teaser on their home page? That doesn't look small at all - the configuration looks like the common fifth-wheel which towers over the full-sized pickup truck required to pull it. Do they have a smaller proposal?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
I imagine some design changes will come into play as more people give feedback.
I hope they continue to improve, as all products should, but the Camplite line isn't new... they must have had feedback for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
That's the nature of legends: they are often inspired by reality, but are usually far from the whole truth. I would no more expect an Airstream to live up the legend than I would expect to meet Robin Hood if I walked through Sherwood Forest.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #35

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
google up livin lite rv. they were just bought out by Thor, the same company that owns Airstream, could that have something to do with an 82% rise in sales
Old 08-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill MacDermod View Post
google up livin lite rv. they were just bought out by Thor, the same company that owns Airstream...s
See this earlier post in this thread:
Quote:
Old 09-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scott Tuttle, founder and former president of Livin’ Lite launches intech trailers venture
Scott Tuttle Returning to RV Arena With inTech | RV Business

More photos here if interested
https://www.facebook.com/inTechRV/ph...034737/?type=3
Attached Images

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote