Can/do you "Dump" at home? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Can/do you "Dump" at home?

Honestly, we have yet to use our "in-house" facilities in the Scamp. We have thus-far confined our “business” to the restrooms in the various State Campgrounds we have camped in. But soon I am going to do some boondocking where facilities might be scarce. After throwing a few extra gallons of water in the black tank and sloshing it around on the way home things ought to be pretty well broken up down there. I think I can pretty easily access the cleanout in the sewer line leading to my septic tank at home and just dump when I feel like it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have access to a clean out in my front yard. So I dump at home.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #3

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I always dump the left over GREY water at home around the base of a tree near where I park. That stuff is pretty benign. We don't use the Scamps "facilities" (I like that), but if we DID I wouldn't dump at home unless I had access to the sewer. Even with sloshing around I doubt stuff would totally break up.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I have a pipe in my front yard that is connected to the sewer. On the other side of the house is the master bathroom inside, and directly outside is an area for storing an rv. I have no clue if there is a sewer connection on the side of the house coming from the master bath. Is there a way to find out? i would love to be able to empty/clean the tanks at home, but not use the front yard.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sewer Solution

We have a Sewer Solution it uses a jet of water from a separate hose to break up anything in the black tank and pump it through a garden hose. We have used it at our son's house to pump our waste, gray and black, into his washer's drain and eventually into their sewer system.

We only carry it when expecting 'house camping' with relatives. We normally have it at home and have used it to pump into our home's sewer system. The jet that breaks things up can also be aimed into the tank thru it's exit pipe to further clean the pipe. We have an under porch connection to our sewer line.

The system is not too expensive and allows long distant pumping through garden hoses by adding an adapter to the hose that comes with it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I had a dump connected to my house sewer when I built the house in 2001. Don't know what I would do without it.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Yes, I added an RV dump to my septic system.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #8

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Direct deposit at home in Iowa and at home in Montana.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I live in the biggest city in Oregon. When I was having asphalt poured and a large carport built... I thought a "dump station" would be great! Not so, fighting city hall. (No political statements wanted!). If I need to dump at home, I use my Home Built Blue Tote and "flush" stuff down a toilet in my home. It's really not painful. I've done it several times.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Dump my gray water on the trees and my black water in the outhouse
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #11

Utah
Registry
How can a sewer line be located before concreting an area in the yard? Can the city come out and find it? Since I have a line coming from one side of the house where the guest bath is, is it possible there is another line coming from the other side of the house where the M/Bath is? The builder is no longer in business and I am the 3rd owner of the home (foreclosure).

Old 08-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I have a pipe in my front yard that is connected to the sewer. On the other side of the house is the master bathroom inside, and directly outside is an area for storing an rv. I have no clue if there is a sewer connection on the side of the house coming from the master bath. Is there a way to find out? i would love to be able to empty/clean the tanks at home, but not use the front yard.
Without running a camera up the sewer line it is hard to know where all it goes, unless you built your place like I did. I would doubt there is more than one exterior exit of the sewer from the house and it is usually a more or less straight shot. You could add a drain, if the powers that be will let you. Say, haven't you been having some blockage and don't you really need another cleanout in that line (that just happens to be over by the trailer)?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #13

Utah
Registry
I now have a 15' hose. It MAY reach the current sewer clean out from the street. I'll get in touch with the city and find out if they have records. Another thought I had was to add a circular portion to driveway. Then the current clean out would be in that section of the driveway. Doing that would also allow for easier parking of the trailer, less grass mowing, less expense for lawn chemicals.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I was having asphalt poured and a large carport built... I thought a "dump station" would be great! Not so, fighting city hall.
When I bought our 1918 house (an estate sale) the cast iron sewer pipe was cracked and rusted through in the crawl space under the bathroom and master bedroom before it exited the foundation wall on its way across the back yard to the city's sewer trunk line in the alley. The contractor had to dig a trench from the house out about 10' to where the pipe was solid enough to connect the new plastic pipe to, and replace everything under the house. During this process I had him install a "clean-out" port (looks just like a campground sewer connection) in case I ever have to have the line Roto-Rooted. Its not very close to the spot where I park the Motel Fiber Stream (as my friends call it) but I have a 40' slinky that gets the dumping job done at home. I have to lift the slinky along it's length to get the waste to flow. Norm's sewer solution might do a better job for such a long distance.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Alice got a couple things for you. Do you know if the sewer main is in the street or in an easement to the rear? I ask that because most all sewer lines going from the house to the main will have a clean out not to far from the house. If you see a cleanout you know where the main is. They should have a screw in cap (for fumes). I've had a couple houses that had two inline, one sweep went towards the the street and the other toward the house. If you remove the cap you can see which way it turns. You can use the one going towards the street with no problem. If you don't see any cleanouts you can hire a private locater to mark the line for you. Possibly one of your neighbors may know. If it's not under concrete, cutting in a sweep for a new cleanout (dump station) is pretty easy. You can use Adams clamps to connect it to the existing line as a sewer line is not under pressure. When I added mine to my septic system I used an old water meter box and lid to enclose it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #16

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I do have a clean out in my backyard where, with a longer hose, I could dump there. I don't do that though, simply preferring to use the dump station at the campground. Mines only a gray water anyway, mostly just dish soap bubbles and wAter.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #17

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
When we had our house built I had a dump station installed. Since I live in the country it dumps into the septic tank. The bad thing is that I was not here when it was installed so the location is not where I would have had it put, with a bit longer hose, it works well.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #18

Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Alice got a couple things for you. Do you know if the sewer main is in the street or in an easement to the rear? I ask that because most all sewer lines going from the house to the main will have a clean out not to far from the house. If you see a cleanout you know where the main is. They should have a screw in cap (for fumes).
Thanks for the info. I know where the clean out is on the far side of the house from where Scamp is parked. It seems odd that it is there because the laundry room, kitchen, and master bath are on the side of the of the house where Scamp gets parked. I am going to check with the city this week and see if they have any info on clean outs attached to the main line. Would think in order to cut into the main line, or dump anything, one would need the ok from the city at minimum. Usually there is a cost involved plus and inspection. There are no easements to the rear.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #19

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have the garden hose cap on the gray water. It gets dumped in the flower beds.

I can dump the black in my septic, but I've never used my black tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #20

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
my take on this....

dumping into septic system: Before doing that I would do a little research...your septic tank is a working "system"....that particular chemical you are adding to your black tank might just kill some of the desired organisms in your septic tank that make it work....lots of different holding tank chemicals out there....hence some research

adding a dump line on your property to a city sewer system: "don't ask don't tell"....it's your property....and even if there was something "wrong" with it, the "penalty" would probably less of a hassle than getting the approval beforehand....plead ignorance.... and take LOTS of pictures of the work/alteration

about things breaking up "down there"....just imagine what happens in that half full, small, square tank when you are driving down the road stopping, turning and accelerating...LOL...it's a regular washing machine....."don't sweat the small stuff"
Attached Thumbnails
btca.jpg   btcc3.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote