Can I connect P2 brake controller when Casita has short power? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Can I connect P2 brake controller when Casita has short power?

My Casita is plugged in to the 30amp island, running my space heater.

I want to connect my tow vehicle and test the Prodigy 2 brake controller, lights, etc.

Is there any reason I should not connect the brake controller to the Casita, when the Casita is plugged in to shore power?
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
My Casita is plugged in to the 30amp island, running my space heater.

I want to connect my tow vehicle and test the Prodigy 2 brake controller, lights, etc.

Is there any reason I should not connect the brake controller to the Casita, when the Casita is plugged in to shore power?
There is NO reason not too. The two systems are completely separate. FYI the all the running lights are powered from the tow. The only thing you can do to check the brake controller is listen for click at each trailer wheel when the brake pedal is pushed or the panic lever is activated.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I forgot to unplug the AC when I plugged in my Casita to the (running) tug... then I unplugged the AC... when we got home from that trip, we discovered the Parallax converter was DOA. not saying that's the cause, but...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #4

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
After seeing Byron's response, I tested the Casita's rear lights, and everything seemed to work. The Casita's sidelights and turn signals were okay. I was plugged in to shore power. Thanks!
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
12 volts is supplied to the camper through the 7 pin plug. This may cause a problem if both are plugged in at the same time
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
12 volts is supplied to the camper through the 7 pin plug. This may cause a problem if both are plugged in at the same time
Since the trailer is 12 VDC (nominal ) and the vehicle is 12 VDC
(nominal ) and DC does not have a sine wave so you can't be out of phase , I don't see an issue assuming there are no other electrical issues or problems.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Since the trailer is 12 VDC (nominal ) and the vehicle is 12 VDC
(nominal ) and DC does not have a sine wave so you can't be out of phase , I don't see an issue assuming there are no other electrical issues or problems.
my vehicle outputs 14.4V when its first been started... now if there's significant current at the trailer jack, the wiring resistance drops the voltage. meanwhile, the Parallax DC converter is(was) trying to output 13.6V or so to charge the battery... depending on the design of the Parallax's output stage, this *could* back bias its output transistors and dump a bunch of current into them.

Its also quite possible the parallax just picked that dry camping weekend trip to die. I'll never know, its in the ejunk bin at the local recyclers.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #8

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I have no proof but I have evidence. Over the years I have gone to Florida each winter and would stop at campgrounds along the way. I would find a level spot so that I wouldn't need to unhook and make a quick getaway the next morning. I lost the original converter and 2 more in a three-year period. I was staying plugged into the TV. I started unplugging The TV about 5 years ago and have not replaced one since.
CM
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita