Can I lock this thing??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Wow, I am a total newbie when it comes to trailers! Every time I turn around I realize that there is yet again something I have no clue about... I am picking up a little 13' scamp... Lets say I go to my campground or rv park and want to leave my camper while I run to the store... can I lock it down somehow? I would really hate to come back to find that someone else has hitched and ditched!

-thanks again, you guys are great!

Lynn L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.........look at the mount itself (the device on the tongue end of the trailer that the ball fits into from underneath), there should be a place to put some sort of locking device onto it that will NOT allow the latching lever to be raised. This is also an eggsellent way to secure your trailer to the ball mount while traveling. Keeping the locking lever down keeps the ball securely cupped in the mount. Alot of folks use a padlock, your choice as to how expensive to go, or there is a commercially made devise which ISN'T a lock as such but more just a way to keep the lever down on top of the ball. It is easily removed when not needed, but offers NOTHING in the way of theft protection.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:20 AM   #3

does anyone have a photo of this mechanism? Do all trailers come with it?? I don't have the trailer here to look at...
Old 06-08-2008, 01:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Lynn
At the very least invest $10-20 in a lock for your coupler. You can also buy keyed locking pins for your receiver. Here's a picture of the lock I'm using, made by Master.
I'm not terribly confident in it, but at least it's something. After suffering a house break-in in February (after updating doorknobs and installing deadbolts), I wish I could buy locks that would put shrapnel into anyone who attempts to break in.

In the picture, the lock is the round silver thing through the coupler latch. It's released by using a key on the square part and pulling it off the shaft:

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0222__Small_.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	13658

The coupler lock pictured works to prevent the latch from being raised whether coupled to the TV or unhitched. There are some pretty stout locks out there for use when you are unhitched. My guess is try not to look like the easiest target!

Hope this helps
P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Hi Lynn,

Here is a selection of coupler locks that might fit your needs:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...sl_54pq1lip1d_b
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I just use an old ball and a lock. They could probably still steal it but it will take them a while.

When I hitch up I put the ( kinda greasy) ball in a plastic bag.

Using this system for 6 years so far so good.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I got two of these for when I have the Scamp in storage.
They are a deterrent for sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Club-490-Wheel-Immob...r/dp/B000FN5O1C

I also lock the coupler and have a ball lock thingy too.

Master Lock sells a kit at WalMart with all three of their locks together and keyed alike.

If someone really wants one of these trailers I am not sure anything will stop them except the time and exposure it will take to get it.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I use the # 19 shown on the link posted by bob b. Even tho i have the Scamp 5er its still a goosneck so its unlikey someone could tow it off easy around here...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #9

Thanks guys!! I saw a few tire lockers- does anyone use those?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
The one in my picture is #5 in BobB's link.
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Do a forum search with words like locking trailer -- Many threads on this subject.

I bought a set of four keyed-alike padlocks and put one through the coupler, one on the pin of the ball mount (after drilling hole for it), one on front of truck for spare tire and Hi-Lift jack and one on cable for roof-top kayak. Actually could use a few more, like on battery box, eyebolts inside tailgate and cable I sometimes use to lock tailgate and topper hatch.

Very useful and only need one key.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Thanks guys!! I saw a few tire lockers- does anyone use those?
uh.....That is exactly what I linked to and one of the things I am using.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #13

Whoops, sorry Ed, I misspoke. Thanks for correcting me. I should have said, anyone ELSE?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Wow, I am a total newbie when it comes to trailers! Every time I turn around I realize that there is yet again something I have no clue about... I am picking up a little 13' scamp... Lets say I go to my campground or rv park and want to leave my camper while I run to the store... can I lock it down somehow? I would really hate to come back to find that someone else has hitched and ditched!

-thanks again, you guys are great!
I use a padlock made of hardened steel, one of the best Ace Hardware sells when the trailer is parked, even in my yard. Otherwise, when on the road I prefer the spring-pin so that the trailer can be easily unhitched should an emergency arise ie: heaven forbid, a fire. Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote