Can Someone Please Host A UP Rally?! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #21

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
John Linck: YES, the UP looks HORRIBLE...horribly beautiful, that is!
Perfect camping area!

BESt
Kai
Old 01-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarolyn View Post
We must be neighbors in lower Michigan. We are 600 miles from Ironwood where we picked up our Casita.
We picked up our Scamp in Backus, MN mid October and came thru Ironwood. What a nice drive back thru Northern MN, WI, and MI. Mandatory stop in Ironwood is Stormy Kromer factory outlet store.

(PM sent Carolyn)

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1338.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Up rally

I agree with John L ; stay away ! I go to Keweenaw every year . In a more serious note , how does one plan a rally when one has to make reservations in advance ? How can sites be reserved when the number of attendees is unknown?
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #24

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
snow in the UP

Here is a pix of the snow gauge on the Keweenaw Penninsula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
I think that there is on average a 3.6 day window in the snow fall every year that would be possible. However, it shifts a few weeks each year so may be hard to plan?

We loved Copper Harbor. Not sure when they get their annual 22'-24' of snow.
Attached Thumbnails
5 snow meter.jpg  
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #25

Name: Ia
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
My best to you all! I was wondering if there could be a rally closer to Seattle and they pinned the rose on me. It went well enough last September that we plan to hold it again this year.

You, um, VOLUNTEERED. As the other poster said, "Make it happen!"

BEST
Kai

Well I haven't even been to a rally yet so I'm not sure of the details

Had you been attending rallies for years by organizing one....?
Stavig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #26

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I love the U.P. I've deer hunted up there for many decades with my Dad and Brothers. We hunt in Seney National Wildlife Reserve in the Eastern central part of the U.P. I've passed thru the Western U.P., but never camped or explored that side. I got excited when the prospect of a Rally was suggested. Although living in MI, we are 571 miles from Ontanogan. The logistics for setting up a rally might be difficult for me, but I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

My wife and I will be traveling until mid-June this year, but planned to head up North in July or Aug. We could recon the area and check out prospective parks or campgrounds suitable for the group. Maybe get together with some of the forum members that live up in that area and come up with a plan while up there? Although it seems like there is a lot of interest in a Yooper Rally; I'm thinking plan it out in '18 and "Make it happen" in '19 to get max participation, secure reservations, etc.

I like all the suggestions, but the ones that advise going after the heavy bug season are especially helpful, based on my experience in the North woods.

TomK

That sounds like a great idea! I was think that 2018 would probably be too tight of a timeframe as well.

As a total noob I probably can't set up a rally on my own but I'd be more than willing to help/do leg work.

My personal preference is to have full hookup but I'd settle for water and electric (My freshwater tank is questionable right now).

And then, I'm not sure where you guys will be visiting but I'm very interested in the Porcupines area if enough others would be willing to stay in that area as well.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #27

Minnesota
I don't know how the bugs in northern MN compare to those in MI but our bug season really doesn't get terrible until June so May could be an option.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #28

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Do it yourself. Not hard. Just set a date, place, and people will come.

CindyL
Old 01-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #29

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Do it yourself. Not hard. Just set a date, place, and people will come.

CindyL

Good to know! How have you reserved spots, at campgrounds, for the rallies in the past?
Old 01-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #30

Illinois
Registry
No, we found a campground, a date, picked a title, posted it here, and it happened. That being said, we did cook hotdogs, find the location for the supper, keep track of people registering (as we were able to. We did not always hear about registrations.), and offer suggestions of sites, since the campground had some iffy sites.

Find a date, place, publish it, and let it happen. You do not need to do a lot if you do not wish to.

CindyL
Old 01-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #31

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavig View Post
Good to know! How have you reserved spots, at campgrounds, for the rallies in the past?
I'm no expert by any means. These are my observations. It seems a place big enough to handle the interested parties is chosen. The dates are announced in the Rallies and Meets section of this forum in plenty of time for participants to make their own reservations. The Rally Coordinator/ Host might work with the campground to make sure there will be enough sites available for the time slot. Some campgrounds even offer a group discount. I would think you would also try to come up with dates that don't conflict with other rallies in the region. Many of the rallies fall on the same weekend every year. People like to plan their trips or vacations in advance, often attending the same rallies year after year.

Rallies are all a little different. Some are tightly scripted with a full schedule of events, and others are very loose, with lots of free time to explore the area and spend time with friends from rallies past. Pot luck dinners are a common thing, and sometimes inexpensive gift exchanges take place. Open houses are often scheduled where you go around checking out each others trailers.

We've been to rallies as small as 15 trailers, up to around 75 at Scamp Camp in Sebring, FL. They are all fun! Ia, there are many rallies in the Mid West. I strongly suggest going to one. Some are brand specific, such as Scamp Camp, but all brands are welcome at all the rallies we've attended. It's a great way for fiberglass fans without trailers to see what's available.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #32

Illinois
Registry
You do not need to work with the campground, although you could if you are able to. We could not do that with Eggs A La Bourbon. The campground did not allow this kind of thing. The only thing we could do is to ensure that the date for the earliest registration was published, and leave it up to attendees to register ASAP after the date for registration opened. We also published what sites to register for, as My Old KY Home campground has some tippy sites.

CindyL
Old 01-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #33

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Ontonagon has a nice municipal CG on the Superior shore, just east of the Porkies.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #34

Name: P
Washington
Isn't it Da UP?
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #35

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
It is very difficult to plan a gathering for the summer months.

Our Scrambled Eggs group usually has an early May gathering. We register at the MN State Park a year in advance to get our spots.

The fall gathering moves around. That also is sort of off season. After school starts but before the leaf peepers.

One really does need to post a year in advance and people do need to get their reservations in as soon as reservation system opens.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #36

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
Isn't it Da UP?
Took our first trip to da UP in summer of 2008 to cool off during a hot spell. Driving into Houghton, MI my high school freshman at the time said "What college is this, looks like fun"? He worked hard in high school and in May 2017 is now a Michigan Tech Grad. We spent the last 5 years heading up to da UP, and will continue to do so. On those trips north out of Green Bay, WI we saw numerous moose, two bears, and a smattering of cars, hardly any traffic. A beautiful ride that we enjoyed nearly every time. Nearly is picking your kid up in the spring after finals in a snow storm, no fun.

We are heading up mid July to hang out with friends near Houghton/Hancock in our Casita. We get a hankering for "Pick Axe Blond Ales" at the KBC (Keweenaw Brewing Company), and a "pasty" at Roy's.

Keweenaw Brewing Company

http://www.royspasties.com/
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #37
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
I think that there is on average a 3.6 day window in the snow fall every year that would be possible. However, it shifts a few weeks each year so may be hard to plan?

We loved Copper Harbor. Not sure when they get their annual 22'-24' of snow.
Must have been an “off” year because I spent 5 weeks (36 days) in da UP this past summer and didn’t see any snow, though I did see a few flakes! Of the 5 places we camped I, too, liked Copper Harbor the best. Stayed at Lake Fanny Hoe Resort because the State Park was pretty much booked up. There were a couple of good restaurants, a general store that had just about everything at slightly inflated prices, a microbrewery, an interesting walk in a virgin stand of very old white pines, copper mines, and a gift shop owned by a woman who I swear must have known everyone on the Keweenaw Peninsula. And best of all, there was no cell service except way up on the mountaintop drive which at one point overlooks Copper Harbor. Yes, Copper Harbor was my favorite spot. But if you want to visit Isle Royale NP, make your boat reservations ASAP!
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #38

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
Isn't it Da UP?
Nah, its Da UP, Eh!

We have Scamped in Da UP for years. Late Spring, Summer thru Fall color. Never have had snow, but a couple times we saw ice remnants on the lakeshore. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not usual.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:44 AM   #39

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Lower MI has its share of charming places also. When/If you travel through, consider stopping at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore. Canoe, kayak or raft the Platte, Muskegon or Pine rivers (all very clear water, no rapids), meander up the west coast of MI, interesting little towns, museums and light houses. Going north over the Mackinaw bridge, go right on I-75 a short way to St. Ignace. Use a day or so and take a ferry over to the Mackinac Island. No cars allowed. Take a horse carriage around the island and see the Grand Hotel (This Time for Keeps, and SomeWhere In Time, two movies filmed there) visit Fort Mackinac.

Inland there are many interesting places in MI also, such as Hartwick Pines State Park and Way South, the Henry Ford Museum.

No, I don't work for the /chamber of Commerce. I was raised in Roscommon and Cadillac, MI.

Think I may have talked myself in going through MI again next season....
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #40
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Lower MI has its share of charming places also. When/If you travel through, consider stopping at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore. Canoe, kayak or raft the Platte, Muskegon or Pine rivers (all very clear water, no rapids), meander up the west coast of MI, interesting little towns, museums and light houses. Going north over the Mackinaw bridge, go right on I-75 a short way to St. Ignace. Use a day or so and take a ferry over to the Mackinac Island. No cars allowed. Take a horse carriage around the island and see the Grand Hotel (This Time for Keeps, and SomeWhere In Time, two movies filmed there) visit Fort Mackinac.

Inland there are many interesting places in MI also, such as Hartwick Pines State Park and Way South, the Henry Ford Museum.

No, I don't work for the /chamber of Commerce. I was raised in Roscommon and Cadillac, MI.

Think I may have talked myself in going through MI again next season....
No, no, no. Lower Michigan is loaded with Trolls. At least that is what I was told by the Yoopers. (For the uninitiated, they are Trolls because they live beneath/below the bridge!)

Seriously though Henry, you left out Petoskey and the “Tunnel of Trees.” Simply gorgeous and lots of interesting places to visit.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally