Can Someone Please Host A UP Rally?! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,205
Four other things to see in Mickigan are the Cherry Festival in Traverse City Mi .The Tulip Festival in Holland Mi and the Christmas Store in Frankenmuth Mi, plus the boat tour out of Munising Mi.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
No, no, no. Lower Michigan is loaded with Trolls. At least that is what I was told by the Yoopers. (For the uninitiated, they are Trolls because they live beneath/below the bridge!)
I have also heard about da fudgies. I guess those are visitors who buy da fudge.

I would like to go to this, but it is a very far drive. I lived in extreme Up Nort Wisconsin and worked with many yoopers and finlanders. I enjoyed it but did have problems understanding da yooper jargon at times, you knowwww.

I would recommend taking a kayak along.

I did make a day trip to da porkypines (my boss said it would help with my homesickness for mountains) and was attacked by a cloud of mosquitoes when I got out of the car. That can happen here as well though.
slowpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Kai in Seattle's Avatar
 
Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Posts: 2,567
Registry
Stavig: Jimp: CindyL (thanks, Cindy, I think you've already said all that is necessary, but what the heck?):

YOU send a post through FGRV stating what campground and when, and where YOUR camping site is.

You make YOUR reservation first. THEN you decide on what activities you want to include (everything from NONE to every hour planned). That's IT. People need to make their own reservations. How many come is unknown. But we all come with our own chairs, dishes, campfire weenie roasting sticks, etc.

People will tend to cluster near your (the "host") site, and if you're having a potluck, BBQ, birthday party, gift draw/exchange, swap (free swap meets are OK about anywhere, but sales have to be approved campground by campground) or weenie roast, tell them what will be provided, or what kind of help you'd like, or what to bring.

We had lots of donated firewood for our two campfires, people brought their own weenies but we had extra just in case and those were eaten, too...the potluck was lovely except I didn't plan for a proper dessert. (Meaning someone offered, but I turned them down! DUH!)

We had our pop-ups and others had theirs, too; you decide what rules you want to apply such as dogs allowed or NO dogs allowed or whatever...remembering that service dogs are generally "legally" allowed about anywhere, but it's still YOUR rally...

There are lots of rally links under "rallies" here on FGRV (link above) and somewhere there's a thread about how to let people know about your rally, but ultimately I just went through FGRV "Rallies" and general chat and whatnot and it was very good last September. I sent out the first post close to 9 months in advance, the earliest you can reserve that campground. CindyL makes a good point, a year is also good as people begin making plans early. I sent a few reminders along the way. If you need help, ask for it.

It's up to the host to choose the campground. I took a lot of advice and we drove out to look at six or eight campgrounds "near" Seattle. I had things I felt we needed, like a central spot for gatherings, firepits, hot water/showers, trash dumpsters, reservable online, and within 25 miles of Seattle itself.

It's a lot of work. We also had an "open house" from 10AM - noonish (a bit too short for proper visiting) and "dog events" in the big central field, tricks/abilities and costumes, with some home-baked doggy treats Paul made.

We did a little meet & greet, the food was terrific (people like to show their ability to cook good food inside their rigs!) and I provided some paper plates, plastic/corn starch utensils, and condiments...

I was whupped by Saturday night! We're doing it again next year. It was a lot of fun and we enjoyed meeting people who had only been internet friends before.

You can also do a completely unplanned gathering, some do that.

Others get people to offer classes, card games, talks...some do demonstrations of things, I hear one group deep fried a turkey for Thanksgiving. It's up to you!

So, essentially, YOU choose the campground, YOU choose YOUR site and reserve it for the dates YOU choose, and YOU choose the activities and then let everyone know at least on FGRV and you can spread the word wider than that if you like and know how and where.

If only you show up, at least you're still camping! So it's not a total bust. We had a lot of people; registration is up to you. Not necessary. IF part of the goal is to get contact information, be sure to have a way to collect it and see that you DO. We kind of forgot that little essential thing!

BEST
Kai
__________________
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Stavig: Jimp: CindyL (thanks, Cindy, I think you've already said all that is necessary, but what the heck?):

YOU send a post through FGRV stating what campground and when, and where YOUR camping site is.

You make YOUR reservation first. THEN you decide on what activities you want to include (everything from NONE to every hour planned). That's IT. People need to make their own reservations. How many come is unknown. But we all come with our own chairs, dishes, campfire weenie roasting sticks, etc.

People will tend to cluster near your (the "host") site, and if you're having a potluck, BBQ, birthday party, gift draw/exchange, swap (free swap meets are OK about anywhere, but sales have to be approved campground by campground) or weenie roast, tell them what will be provided, or what kind of help you'd like, or what to bring.

We had lots of donated firewood for our two campfires, people brought their own weenies but we had extra just in case and those were eaten, too...the potluck was lovely except I didn't plan for a proper dessert. (Meaning someone offered, but I turned them down! DUH!)

We had our pop-ups and others had theirs, too; you decide what rules you want to apply such as dogs allowed or NO dogs allowed or whatever...remembering that service dogs are generally "legally" allowed about anywhere, but it's still YOUR rally...

There are lots of rally links under "rallies" here on FGRV (link above) and somewhere there's a thread about how to let people know about your rally, but ultimately I just went through FGRV "Rallies" and general chat and whatnot and it was very good last September. I sent out the first post close to 9 months in advance, the earliest you can reserve that campground. CindyL makes a good point, a year is also good as people begin making plans early. I sent a few reminders along the way. If you need help, ask for it.

It's up to the host to choose the campground. I took a lot of advice and we drove out to look at six or eight campgrounds "near" Seattle. I had things I felt we needed, like a central spot for gatherings, firepits, hot water/showers, trash dumpsters, reservable online, and within 25 miles of Seattle itself.

It's a lot of work. We also had an "open house" from 10AM - noonish (a bit too short for proper visiting) and "dog events" in the big central field, tricks/abilities and costumes, with some home-baked doggy treats Paul made.

We did a little meet & greet, the food was terrific (people like to show their ability to cook good food inside their rigs!) and I provided some paper plates, plastic/corn starch utensils, and condiments...

I was whupped by Saturday night! We're doing it again next year. It was a lot of fun and we enjoyed meeting people who had only been internet friends before.

You can also do a completely unplanned gathering, some do that.

Others get people to offer classes, card games, talks...some do demonstrations of things, I hear one group deep fried a turkey for Thanksgiving. It's up to you!

So, essentially, YOU choose the campground, YOU choose YOUR site and reserve it for the dates YOU choose, and YOU choose the activities and then let everyone know at least on FGRV and you can spread the word wider than that if you like and know how and where.

If only you show up, at least you're still camping! So it's not a total bust. We had a lot of people; registration is up to you. Not necessary. IF part of the goal is to get contact information, be sure to have a way to collect it and see that you DO. We kind of forgot that little essential thing!

BEST
Kai
So if I understand you correctly , you plan on hosting a rally in the UP of Michigan even though you live in Washington State ?
You have my admiration , that will be quite an accomplishment for anyone .

GOOD LUCK !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #45
Junior Member
 
Name: Gary
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Texas
Posts: 1
One suggestion on the timing.

Fall is beautiful and avoids the worst of the bugs.

Labor Day is the one day when it is possible to walk across the Mackinac bridge. Either just before or just after Labor Day would make this an option for attendees, and one more reason to come.

I know I would.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
TomK's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 864
The Algonac Classic Egg Scramble Rally is on the weekend after Labor Day, 7,8,9 Sept. That rally is in S.E. MI in the Lower Peninsula approximately 600 miles from the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness S.P.

Labor Day wknd. is very popular (crowded) in most of the State Parks and other CGs. Maybe the week or weekend before Labor Day wknd. might be better? The folks who want to walk the Bridge could do it after the rally. It is about 300 miles east of the western end.

It's heartening to see all the support building for a rally in the U.P. It is truly a beautiful place and one you won't soon forget.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Kai in Seattle's Avatar
 
Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Posts: 2,567
Registry
steve dunham:

My post was ridiculously long--

Yes, we'll be hosting at de UP, eh, as long as it's within 25 miles of Seattle.

I am amazingly versatile!

Kai
__________________
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Posts: 233
Michigan

If you wanted to get creative...you could have a Heaven or Hell rally. Three days in (near) Paradise, MI followed by three days in Hell, MI. Go to one or both. EVERYONE gets to go over the BRIDGE at least once!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
John Linck's Avatar
 
Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
EVERYONE gets to go over the BRIDGE at least once!

Mon
Dad and Mom took us 5 kids over the bridge in the early sixties in our station wagon. Very impressive. Love suspension bridges ever since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Bridge
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 4.39.09 PM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #50
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,504
The Algonac rally is at a state park, they allow reservations 6 months before date of reservation. State park web site also shows maps in the reservation system. What has happened at Algonac is we all pounce on a section of the park the first day we can make the reservation. Focused on the area with a good view of the big ships going by on the river. Most parks will have some area that is especially nice.

Really just need to let people know date, what park, and what area (site number range or section) they should shoot for. But people scatter out from there too. You might read through some of the posts in rallies and gatherings to get ideas.

Potluck on Saturday evening, optional open house on Saturday afternoon, let people check our your camper and mods if you want or not if you don't. Campfire Friday and Saturday at whomever is willing to put up with a bunch of FGRV bums hanging out at their site late. People just donate firewood.

Pam does our heavy lifting as far as organizing, she keeps up a map and list of who is coming and what site they reserved. Provided people tell her. Provides wine and good company if you stopped by, and coffee and sweet roll on one of the mornings. Prints off a list of any events, who is where and any needed information. Communicates with the park rangers, law enforcement and has a bail bondsman on speed dial (JK) Hosts the potluck on her site, and we have a white elephant gift raffle after the potluck where you bring something and your site number goes in the hat. I managed to get rid of a pie iron last year (Yippee! one less thing to pack)

Pretty informal, some of the big rallies are more organized and bring things such as paper plates etc. for participants, and I think some have to collect funds to cover expenses. Informal tends to be less hassle and I think provides a lower bar to participation and organizing.

I would say skip making rules, park has rules. If any park rules are unusual it would be good to let people know but otherwise who needs the bother of coming up with more? No dogs at the rally makes no sense if park allows dogs. RSVP by date means some won't come because they just don't know by the cut off date. If when the time comes they can find a spot at the park and bring goodies to pot luck they come so who needs the work of managing RSVP's or collecting money for reservations?

People have volunteered to show folks a craft (weaving survival bracelets), we were lucky enough to have the strum bums bring their instruments and entertain us. Scouter Dave told stories at the campfire one year, as did some others. I think one year we had people on Saturday show-n-tell of our favorite gadget, gizmo, or trick that made camping easier or more pleasant.

Good if there are some sites or things of interest nearby, some folks really enjoy day trips. Can be a trip to the falls, the bridge, shopping or what have you. Restaurant or two is nice also, it rains so you go out to eat or you just want a pizza so you don't have to cook when you arrive.

Tough call on where in the UP is best the East has easier access for our Canadian members and the Lower Peninsula. the West is a shorter drive for our fellow mid-westerners coming from the west. Tahquamenon falls is a nice park and area.

I would think State Parks would be best, many in Mich. will already have an annual pass which makes them less expensive so more likely to get participation from the locals. I would say flush toilets and showers are a must. I'll boondock and you'll boondock but I think vault toilets might be a little off putting to enough people that it would be better to have facilities. And I'm getting to where washing up in liquid snow they call the Great Lakes is a little tough, does help with sore joints (can't feel them) but shivering tends to create muscle strain.

I know I'll go to Algonac if I can, and would probably do UP rally if I can get there on the date selected. Me, at least one of the dogs, or both if dear wife decides she wants to go. Hopefully she will, she is the nice one. Well her and the dogs.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #51
Junior Member
 
Stavig's Avatar
 
Name: Ia
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Posts: 26
CindyL: Kai in Seattle: and John Linck: wow, thank you guys, that's so helpful!
I will start investigating locations right away
Stavig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #52
Member
 
ibupnorth's Avatar
 
Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD 17'
Michigan
Posts: 47
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavig View Post
CindyL: Kai in Seattle: and John Linck: wow, thank you guys, that's so helpful!
I will start investigating locations right away
This website's campground directory might help: CopperCountry.com :: Copper Country Campgrounds
__________________

IBUPNORTH
ibupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
TomK's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibupnorth View Post
This website's campground directory might help: CopperCountry.com :: Copper Country Campgrounds
Very helpful Jeff. Thank you!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,205
One of the thing we ran into in the UP was weather . The parks are crowded up until Labor Day and the weather is nice
As you move toward late September the parks are less crowded but it can cool off signicantly. We made a tour around the UP and by the third week of September we hit days with 40 deg highs and the wind off the lake can be chilly and wet.
Not trying to discourage a rally but I would shoot for the week right after Labor Day.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #55
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
One of the thing we ran into in the UP was weather . The parks are crowded up until Labor Day and the weather is nice
As you move toward late September the parks are less crowded but it can cool off signicantly. We made a tour around the UP and by the third week of September we hit days with 40 deg highs and the wind off the lake can be chilly and wet.
Not trying to discourage a rally but I would shoot for the week right after Labor Day.
If you encourage people to make reservations on first day reservations will be accepted at the campground for the rally date they should be able to get sites as long as they know in advance to make the reservations early.

For the UP state parks they will be crowded most of the decent part of the season. As will most state parks in Michigan. Even week after labor day Algonac is pretty full because it is not a long drive from urban areas.

I would say shoot for August. Probably miss the worst of black fly season and weather should still be decent. Rally gets tougher if weather is unpleasant, most activities and visiting take place out of doors.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
TomK's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I would say shoot for August. Probably miss the worst of black fly season and weather should still be decent. Rally gets tougher if weather is unpleasant, most activities and visiting take place out of doors.
I agree with RogerDat. Last part of August is perfect weather and timing. Don't want to miss the Algonac, MI Rally the weekend after Labor Day.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018- 21FT- FORD
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,205
I find the UP to be a great place to visit 12 months out of the year
My point was that the seasons on the UP occur at at a different time than the mainland. We took the boat tour in Munising out to see the pictured rocks . The weather the third week of September was a combination of chilly winds with a mixture of rain & snow.
We found Fort Wilkins , Porcupine Mountain and Barraga to be very busy from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Lake Gogebic was nice and far less crowded
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Posts: 210
Registry
We loved Tahquamenon Falls. Our first night, we had a moose visit our campsite. I just heard the munching, like a cows, but the next morning groups of campers reported seeing one. That same morning a fisherman ran up to us to show off the huge pike hed just caught. Beautiful, friendly place.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
TomK's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
We loved Tahquamenon Falls. Our first night, we had a moose visit our campsite. I just heard the munching, like a cows, but the next morning groups of campers reported seeing one. That same morning a fisherman ran up to us to show off the huge pike hed just caught. Beautiful, friendly place.
Is the Toonerville Trolley still running? It was a narrow gauge railroad you could board in Newberry, and ride to the Tahquamenon Falls. I rode it about 20 years ago. T.F. are the largest falls in MI.

There are reportedly a few moose west of there in Seney National Wildlife Refuge, although I've never seen one. We did spot a mountain lion, and we see quite a few wolves when deer hunting. There are 3 packs of wolves that call Seney home.

You are correct Ruth. The U.P. is a beautiful friendly place. Even the birds are friendly. We like to hand feed the Gray Jays aka Whiskey Jacks.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0754.JPG   IMG_0751.jpg  

TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #60
Junior Member
 
Trailer: U-Haul
Posts: 1
looks like the train still runs along with a boat tour.
Train and Riverboat Tour to Tahquamenon Falls - UP Tours
kurt_dicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rally


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BC | Need someone to do the 2015 Rally Map Carol H Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 9 01-15-2015 06:21 AM
Someone Please Stop Me! David Tilston General Chat 25 12-16-2013 08:24 PM
can someone please tell me what this is lpk49 Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 3 05-27-2013 08:25 AM
Someone please explain trailer brakes Anne F Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 6 06-26-2010 05:06 PM
Could Someone Help Me, Please? doreensatter Classified Archives 11 09-16-2007 07:45 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.