Can We Peak At Your Scamp 16 Layout 7? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Can We Peak At Your Scamp 16 Layout 7?

Hi All,
We LOVE our Scamp 13 with front bunks so, so much. BUT....

The first year we had our Scamp, we had lovely weather every time out, which allowed us to leave the dinette set up as a bed 100% of the time. We hung out and cooked and ate outside.

Last year, it rained every single trip. This past weekend, it rained a lot. And SNOWED- Which meant that while we were cooking outside under our rain tent, it was cold enough that we wanted to eat inside. Which meant that we had to take the bed down and set up the table.

Doing that every day feels like more work to me than when we were tent camping. I *think* that having a Scamp 16, layout 7, would allow us to leave the big dinette set up as a bed, allow the kids to still use the bunks, and still have the other little table to use for food. (Could we pull up a tiny stool in the walkway and seat three??) Plus, our son sprouted into a six foot giant this past year, and our little 13 footer feels tiny with all of us in there.

So I wondered if anyone in the Denver Metro area has the bigger Scamp we could take a look at to see if it would be worth sizing up. Like I said, we LOVE our little egg but wonder if those extra three feet are worth it!
Thank you!
Emily
(Also, I'm so SORRY I spelled PEEK wrong! I can't change it!)
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Hi All,
We LOVE our Scamp 13 with front bunks so, so much. BUT....

The first year we had our Scamp, we had lovely weather every time out, which allowed us to leave the dinette set up as a bed 100% of the time. We hung out and cooked and ate outside.

Last year, it rained every single trip. This past weekend, it rained a lot. And SNOWED- Which meant that while we were cooking outside under our rain tent, it was cold enough that we wanted to eat inside. Which meant that we had to take the bed down and set up the table.

Doing that every day feels like more work to me than when we were tent camping. I *think* that having a Scamp 16, layout 7, would allow us to leave the big dinette set up as a bed, allow the kids to still use the bunks, and still have the other little table to use for food. (Could we pull up a tiny stool in the walkway and seat three??) Plus, our son sprouted into a six foot giant this past year, and our little 13 footer feels tiny with all of us in there.

So I wondered if anyone in the Denver Metro area has the bigger Scamp we could take a look at to see if it would be worth sizing up. Like I said, we LOVE our little egg but wonder if those extra three feet are worth it!
Thank you!
Emily
(Also, I'm so SORRY I spelled PEEK wrong! I can't change it!)

Stop feeding the 16 year old, quick... I gotta a 16 year old grandson that turned into a gorilla
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Stop feeding the 16 year old, quick... I gotta a 16 year old grandson that turned into a gorilla
They get big so quickly, don't they?! Your comment made me laugh! Ours is almost 16, taller than all of us already!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Way to fast, I would give a million dollars just to have him jump into my arms again. Good luck on your search. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tough decision, Emily! Your vintage Iggy is so nicely fixed up, and the galley on the side dinette 16'ers is actually smaller than the one you have now. Certainly check it out though- it may be just what you need.

If not, I happened to see a Clam shelter (the larger one) for the first time up close at Carlsbad Beach last week. It had all the wind panels in place and looked like it would make a really snug place to cook or eat in wet weather. Putting it away wet and muddy... perhaps not so much fun.

I'll confess I've coveted a 16' layout 4 for some time because of the larger galley. We're planning a longer trip in which I probably won't want to lug and set up an outdoor kitchen at each stop. Having the porta-potty closet for emergencies as well as a changing room is also appealing. Doesn't look like we're going to have a 6'er in the family, though. Our 14 year old can still sleep in the top bunk.

Aaaah... 3'-itis!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #6

Colorado
Registry
Jon- Funny you should mention the Clam. I've been looking at the Clam Shelters on Amazon...I know people here love them. Maybe that is just what we need. I truly do LOVE our Scamp. I think it would be worth getting a feel for the larger model, just to see. It might not make any difference at all!

Later this summer we are taking a trip out to Minnesota, so trying to decide if we should just schedule a stop at Backus and have them install a couple additional upper cabinets over the dinette. We would only do that if we were 100% sure we are keeping our current Scamp. I'm also thinking about removing the water tank, which we won't ever use (I'm grossed out by it!) to create additional storage for bedding, which might also be a solution to the problem. Too much bedding, not enough storage!
Old 05-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
...Too much bedding, not enough storage!
We use simple tapered sleeping bags, and each person is issued a pillowcase that goes over one of the throw pillows we keep in the trailer. I found just-right duffles ($8 at Walmart) to store the bags and cases during the day (much easier to stuff than the too-small sacks that came with the bags). Everyone puts away their own bedding as part of the get-up-and-dress routine, and they stack neatly against the back wall of the trailer under the table. They limit legroom just a little but make nice footrests. I get the job of changing both beds to seating mode and back again at night. Since the bedding is taken care of, it's not too bad.

The extra storage cabinets still sound like a great idea. I saw where one person added an open wire shelf above the rear window supported by the two side cabinets. Have you verified with Scamp that the new cabinets fit the old-style shell?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
We use simple tapered sleeping bags, and each person is issued a pillowcase that goes over one of the throw pillows we keep in the trailer. I found just-right duffles ($8 at Walmart) to store the bags and cases during the day (much easier to stuff than the too-small sacks that came with the bags). Everyone puts away their own bedding as part of the get-up-and-dress routine, and they stack neatly against the back wall of the trailer under the table. They limit legroom just a little but make nice footrests. I get the job of changing both beds to seating mode and back again at night. Since the bedding is taken care of, it's not too bad.

The extra storage cabinets still sound like a great idea. I saw where one person added an open wire shelf above the rear window supported by the two side cabinets. Have you verified with Scamp that the new cabinets fit the old-style shell?
Haven't verified yet...just noodling

The kids use simple sleeping bags and camping pillows left over from our tent camping days, so their stuff is easy to put away - they each get a storage compartment under the bunks/sofa.

It's the grown up bedding that makes me crazy! My husband has a bad back, which is why we got the Scamp and quit the tent. So we use a temperpedic/foam thing over the cushions on the dinette bed. It takes up so much space to store, that by the time we get it stuffed into the one dinette bench, there is no room for the sleeping bags, which takes an act of courage and strength to then stuff them in. It truly might be enough to remove the water tank and use one side for the sleeping bags, the other for the mattress. You've got me thinking and I appreciate that! Thank you!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:23 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Can We Peak At Your Scamp 16 Layout 7?

Sorry to hear about the back issues- I've had my share, so I know how it can be. I agree the foam topper really complicates the twice daily conversion.

Floyd turned his dinette into a U-shaped setup, creating additional bedding storage under the center back seat. Scamp made the custom matching seat cushion. A smaller pedestal table replaced the big one. He says 4 can still eat at the table. Just "noodling," as you say...

Layout 7 is pretty rare. Hope one turns up soon. You might also try Scamp through their referral program.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #10

Name: Jean
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Just curious... In the Scamp 16 layouts 6 and 7, does the side dinette turn into a bed?
jsuplick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplick View Post
Just curious... In the Scamp 16 layouts 6 and 7, does the side dinette turn into a bed?
Yes. I don't know the exact dimensions, but I don't think it's for large or tall people.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #12

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Yes. I don't know the exact dimensions, but I don't think it's for large or tall people.
I actually just found a thread the other day on SOI where someone said it measured 24"x81". One other person said theirs was 23"x79", so roughly that size.

Tags
scamp