Can we stay? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Yes, after over one year of wonderful travels---about 30,000 miles, we sold the Casita. We loved every minute with our beloved egg, but now want to move in a different direction.

We have made tenative reservations for a cruse in Tierra del Fuego---one that visits the penguins and accepts boots and parkas for dinner ware. Also, we are looking at pop-top campers for our 4wd Tundra for another trip to Alaska and a trip to Panama. We lived in Central America for 2 years, and feel that a camper is better than a trailer for that trip.

Bottom line, we don't want to leave this forum as we really like the people who visit here. Can we stay?

Thanks
Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ok by me
Old 01-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Once a Casitan allways a Casitan
1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind (Modified)
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Bottom line, we don't want to leave this forum as we really like the people who visit here. Can we stay?

Thanks
Diane
Not a problem. Love to have you.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
A POP TOP?

Someone, get the intervention team! STAT!

Of COURSE you can stay! We wouldn't toss ya out!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 17 ft / Touareg V8
Only if you keep us posted on your travels. Have a great adventure.
JOHN PAUL EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:28 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I wouldn't want to FullTime in a popup, nor would I want to again take a three month 8,000 mile trip in the US, setting up a popup every nite , but one thing I noticed about popups is that they are especially suited to the kind of campout where you go to one rustic campsite (either forest service or single site boondocking) adn set up for a few days or weeks. The feeling of being in the woods is at its height, even higher than camping in a ground tent -- All the sights, smells and noises of the critters coming right thru the big screen windows and you get the strong feeling of being part of the woods, rather than camping next to the woods.

BTW, in re: poptop pickup campers, take a look at the German Tischer and also the Roamer made in Sarasota -- Met a nice German couple with a Tischer on a Nissan diesel pickup (shipped over from Europe) on the Blue Ridge NP and they were heading up to do the Newfoundland - Labrador - Quebec roads and ferries.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Boy, Diane... what a leap! Best wishes!

I hope you can find a popup that is more solid than the current fare from most manufacturers. I haven't seen one in a very long time that has either the construction or the quality of materials that would stand up to what you propose; even the 'off road', high-axle popups, while they look rugged, aren't built any more solidly than the standards trailers. All of them I've seen are built solely for occasional weekend use.

I have to agree that the rigors of setting up/tearing down daily don't appeal much to me. That's why we sold our tent trailer years ago. And, in equatorial Central America I'd be concerned about how often the 'tent' got put away wet (daily?).

I'd think that an 'expedition' rig like maybe the diesel-powered Mercedes Sprinter chassis-based B vans might be a better choice, towing an off-road style cargo trailer, especially in Central America... Or maybe a Land Rover Dormobile or Unimog expedition... Just a thought... and if you do your research they can actually be found quite reasonably...

Roger

On edit: Expedition vehicle page
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
I recently read another member's post saying that pop-ups weren't allowed in an Alaskan campground due to bear problems... I don't know how wipespread this regulation is, but it might be good to investigate before heading north with a pop-up in tow!
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
She said pop-top, not pop-up.

Diane, Of course you're still welcome here, as long as you are interested in molded lightweight fiberglass travel trailers...

...or okra.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
oops! Never mind....
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #12

Thanks everyone,

I wouldn't trade our time in our Casita for anything. Right now we are taking a break from traveling (except we will be going back to Mata Ortiz probably in March---need more pottery for John's birthday)
We are currently involved in remodeling----fun, challenging, and frustrating all at the same time!

We have not decided for sure about the camper thing, except we do like the simple lightweight slide-in pop-tops. Since we lived in Honduras and Guatemala for a couple of years, we have driven as far as Costa Rica before, and frankly, when and if we do go back, we will probably stay in motels for the most part once we are out of Mexico. Knowing the territory down there, we would not take a trailer. Our plans are always subject to radical change.

Love some of those fancy jungle cruisers, but the dirt roads we take anymore are not that rugged, and some of those things cost a bloody fortune.

Who knows, there may be another Egg in our future---they are the best, and I really enjoy the people who hang out here.

Diane

P.S. Mary, John claims if I would only try okra fried, I would discover I like it----
Old 01-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #13

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
I have often thought of driving to Costa Rica. Alas, I don't even have the nerve to do Mexico with the car. I have enjoyed reading about your travels. So I hope you stick around. Bigfoot makes very nice slide in campers for pickup trucks. I don't know if they have one suitable for your model, but if they did it might be the best of both worlds. Good Luck! Remember, okra is never mandatory.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
every one let me stay while i did not have a egg..this is a great group i feel your more than welcome to stay as long as you want...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Love some of those fancy jungle cruisers, but the dirt roads we take anymore are not that rugged, and some of those things cost a bloody fortune.

Diane
Darn it, Diane... I was hoping you'd bite... I have always wanted to see one of those really wild expedition rigs first hand, but I don't know a single soul who is actually wealthy or goofy enough to actually own one! Looks like this time won't pan out either... <sigh>

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Darn it, Diane... I was hoping you'd bite... I have always wanted to see one of those really wild expedition rigs first hand, but I don't know a single soul who is actually wealthy or goofy enough to actually own one! Looks like this time won't pan out either... <sigh>

Roger
I am afraid I would end up like this!

Diane
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Roamer makes a great slide in but I believe its too weighty for the Tundra. I have been down there to their factory a couple of times and this thing is a class A product. Here is their web site. http://www.roamerrv.com/
Old 01-10-2006, 09:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Please do stay. We need input from many different areas to make informed decisions.

All the best of luck in your new ventures - keep us informed.
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Please do stay. We need input from many different areas to make informed decisions.

All the best of luck in your new ventures - keep us informed.

Thanks Ken---once we make Panama, Super Ken should follow! (Still love that photo) Are you still thinking about joining all the other British Columbians in Baja?

Diane
Old 01-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Quote:
Thanks Ken---once we make Panama, Super Ken should follow! (Still love that photo) Are you still thinking about joining all the other British Columbians in Baja?

Diane

Diane, SuperKen is all fired up about going to Baja, but, the Clark Kent in me tends to listen to the stories of banditos and holdups in the back-country. And, knowing me, I'm going to want to explore all of the out of the way places so I still procrastinate.
Attached Thumbnails
SuperKen___the_City.JPG  
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote