Canada trip - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
tmobile

We recently updated our tmobile plan to include unlimited talk, text and data in Canada... Useful for us, as we don't live far from the border. At times in the US, we are close enough to the border that we inadvertently roam to Canadian carriers
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 PM   #22

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Yes it seems we all are headed north!

I hate to go even further off topic, so I apologize in advance.

But I understood that my Consumer Cellular phone would NOT work in Canada and was designed that way to prevent unexpected charges.

This site says:
Our customers also don’t have a roaming problem. They are never charged a roaming fee for domestic U.S. usage, and that includes Alaska and Hawaii. And their Consumer Cellular phone will not work beyond the U.S. borders, thus protecting them from any outrageous international roaming fees, which are mostly unregulated and can vary widely.
Did you have to authorize coverage in Canada?

I was just planning on not having cell phone coverage in Canada.
Unless you have an international plan on your cell phone you will want to do at least one thing before heading anywhere near the Canadian (or Mexico) boarders. Go to the settings and make sure you disable its ability to "roam". Otherwise you will have a shockingly large bill. Even in the USA phones can roam up to Canada such as when driving inside the USA along the Puget Sound coast line on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. Many times a phone will jump to their cell towers because the signal out of Canada is the stronger one. When I lived in Port Townsend, WA I had to turn it to no roaming, I could see the lights of the city of Victoria from my house and was living in a dead zone with extremely poor signals for my USA provider.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:55 AM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've seen conflicting information on whether a Canadian insurance card is required. I've had to show it in the past when I got pulled over for speeding (low speed limits in much of Canada and I wasn't towing). Its a simple task to get one, so I always do it. At a minimum, it is proof that your insurance coverage is valid in Canada.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #24

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
We recently updated our tmobile plan to include unlimited talk, text and data in Canada... Useful for us, as we don't live far from the border. At times in the US, we are close enough to the border that we inadvertently roam to Canadian carriers
Yes, as k corbin pointed out, way to avoid the roaming over the border problem is to set your phone to not roam. In our case we have six people/six lines, so sometimes it just "happens". The good news is that our updated plan is the same price as the previous plan and the roaming over the border risk goes away.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Just an aside

Tensions being what they are [kidding] the Canadians are still a little sore about the U.S. invading Canada in the War of 1812, so leave your firearms at home [not kidding].

"The war began with an attack on Canada, both as an effort to gain land and to cut off British supply lines to Tecumseh's Indian confederation, which had long troubled the US. The initial battles in Canada were not as easy as the War Hawks hoped, and the inexperienced American soldiers were pushed back rapidly. In fact, only by virtue of clutch naval victories by Oliver Hazard Perry on Lake Erie and Thomas Macdonough on Lake Champlain was a serious northern- front invasion of the United States, including New York, prevented. General William Henry Harrison's forces did manage to kill Tecumseh at the Battle of the Thames in 1813, in the midst of a decisive victory against the British General Isaac Brock's smaller force."

SparkNotes: The War of 1812 (1809-1815): Summary
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I wonder what they did for insurance coverage when "visiting" Canada in 1812...
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #27

Michigan
Registry
War of 1812

Fascinating history. Canada a colony at the time. My ggg grandfather fought on the US side.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Tensions being what they are [kidding] the Canadians are still a little sore about the U.S. invading Canada in the War of 1812, so leave your firearms at home [not kidding].
Can you explain how this happened when Canada was not even a country for another 55 years.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Alternative facts, Jim.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #30

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
My son and I turned our cell phones off when we travelled across Canada.

But to change the subject: How do "free" Canadian government healthcare emergency medical services compare to emergency medical services in the US? I am talking about serious medical conditions like heart attack or stroke or major injuries from accident or otherwise. Should a US citizen consider an air medivac policy to provide transport back to the US in case extensive medical treatment is needed.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Should a US citizen consider an air medivac policy to provide transport back to the US in case extensive medical treatment is needed.

That's what travel medical insurance is for. I get mine through BCAA here in British Columbia.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #32

Name: Lissie
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
You only need current rabies certificates for pets.
LissieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Canada trip

Thanks to all for the good info. I hadn't even thought about the cell phone situation so one more thing thing to look into . Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #34

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surveyor
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I can't speak to the requirements for US citizens in Canada, but in Alberta, Canada, there are no requirements for insurance on a trailer. One slightly higher then $100 (cdn) life time registration fee, and I am done. Since I have towed my uninsured trailer from BC to Ontario, I have to guess that it is not required for an Alberta resident anywhere in Canada. But I really am just guessing.
Samething in province of Quebec, your car insurance should cover for the responsability of your trailer.
robgagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #35

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Casita spirit 17
New Hampshire
Insurance in Canada

Insurance in Canada. Last I knew Medicare did not cover Canada, except in a few cases where there is a hospital or provider right on the border. Double check with the Medicare.gov website.
For your AARP coverage I would check with AARP themselves. If it’s a supplement to Medicare, then it may not be valid if there’s no Medicare coverage.
For your auto insurance always check with your current insurance carrier.
stu-ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #36

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
But to change the subject: How do "free" Canadian government healthcare emergency medical services compare to emergency medical services in the US? I am talking about serious medical conditions like heart attack or stroke or major injuries from accident or otherwise. Should a US citizen consider an air medivac policy to provide transport back to the US in case extensive medical treatment is needed.
Emergency care will be provided to similar quality as expected in the US, however you must be prepared with out of country coverage and you should be aware that the coverage may not cover immediately, ie. you may have to pay for treatment with a credit card. I would think that any out of country insurance should provide coverage to return to the US by medivac if it's determined that the treatment in Canada will cost more than the flight.

I had to take my US son-in-law last Christmas to the emergency department at an Ontario hospital. His army medical coverage did pay for his visit, but he had to pay about $700 first at the hospital.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #37

Name: Raymond
Trailer: Bigfoot Truck Camper
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
So we're all going to Canada this year, eh! Jane and I hope to get to Nova Scotia in September so we're also checking in with our insurers, phone providers, credit card folks, etc. Our auto insurance agent first thought we would need a "Canadian" card, but called back to advise that Safeco says our "regular" card is good as long as we can show proof of ownership (hopefully that means our registration cards for both TV and TT). Haven't heard back yet on health insurance, but Consumer Cellular is also good to go (although there will be some extra charges when I connect to the internet). Still listening to all the other comments here though, as I always learn something new.
If you come to Nova Scotia around the Yarmouth area send me an email and we'll show you around.

rking2000@hotmail.com
rking2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #38

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
About cellular coverage in Canada - check with your cell phone company. When I travel out of the country, I arrange with my provider Verizon to get coverage per day of use. Used it in Canada, So. Africa, Europe. It's not cheap, but I only use it to make reservations, emergency, etc.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #39

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
About emergency medical: Since I'm a senior who enjoys adventure travel to remote places, I have an annual world-wide emergency medical/medical evacuation coverage - this is NOT the general travel insurance. There are a few plans, I have EA+; there's also Medijet, Global Rescue, and others.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #40

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Casita spirit 17
New Hampshire
We got a rider on our automobile insurance, which we have through Geico, which specifically covers damage to the trailer and iability issues. It was not expensive. We also have the trailer listed on our AAA travel coverage, should it need to be towed or anything like that.
stu-ru is offline   Reply With Quote