Canadians: Should I fear them? - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #201

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I've always thought it was the climate that kept Canadians massed near the border...now I come to find out it's just their appetite for Cheap American Goods!

Sorta like U.S. Americans' appetite for Cheap Chinese Goods, but without the ocean in between.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #202

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I've always thought it was the climate that kept Canadians massed near the border...now I come to find out it's just their appetite for Cheap American Goods!
We like to think of our cross border shopping as supporting the US economy in troubled times as the neighbourly thing to do.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #203

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
We like to think of our cross border shopping as supporting the US economy in troubled times as the neighbourly thing to do.
Hey!

That's the very same thing we say about China!

Francesca
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #204

Registry
Quote:
Hey!

That's the very same thing we say about China!

Francesca
Only difference being your not direct neighbours with China and dont counting on them for a good deal of your oil and water, as well as the high rate of economic return on the tourism you have come to expecting from Canada yearly.
In my travels its pretty clear there are a number of border towns in the US that would have been boarded up long ago if not for the cross border shopping traffic - dont think the same could be said for the China/USA trade.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #205

Registry
Quote:
In my travels its pretty clear there are a number of border towns in the US that would have been boarded up long ago if not for the cross border shopping traffic - dont think the same could be said for the China/USA trade.
Yah- what was I thinking? Who needs all that traffic at the shipyards at those sleepy border towns like San Francisco, Seattle, Oakland, and etc....

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
1024px-CSCL_Jupiter_bow_of_the_container_ship-635x476.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #206

Registry
Yes the traffic at the major US ports does provide a big chunk of employment and I am aware from working at most of the major terminals a couple of weeks a month that folks working there are paid well. But that as I said doesn't help the guy running the corner store in a border town in Wyoming. :-)

Not to mention that spending a day at the Port of Long Beach/LA or Newark for example could result in a real eye opener as to where many of the ships unloading there have come from (even though many of them may have a China or Panama register on them) and what they may be carrying. LOL Do you know for example how many ship loads of bananas come in from Latin America or steel from Europe arrive in the port of Long Beach each year? Did you know that many of the big power generators keeping the lights on in California came from Europe & a number of their rapid transit rail cars came from Spain?

One of the reasons the ships from China are the most often photographed is due to their impressive size - they dont need to go through the Panama canal so are not restricted to building ships to what we call panamax size as most other ship owners are. It still takes my breath away even when standing on the bridge of a panamax ship when a big container vessel from China comes along side to berth.

It may also come as a bit of surprise to some that most of the containers loaded onto ships to China from the US and Canada are actually empty. Sad but true. Actually in 2011 the trade imbalance between China and the USA was to the tune of $295 billion. The imbalance between China and Canada isnt any better. :-( While the US exports more goods to Canada than any other country it trades with.

Some might call the relationship between Canada and the US a lot like friends with benefits not so sure the same can be said to the same extent with with USA and China or Canada and China for that matter.

Now can we get back to the humour of bashing Canada and putting the fear into everyone who dares travel here ????
Attached Thumbnails
gasprices.jpg   proudly-canadian.jpg  

Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #207

Registry
Quote:

Now can we get back to the humour of bashing Canada and putting the fear into everyone who dares travel here ????
I'm just trying to be matey while waiting for answers to my "Dress code" question...

I'm anxious to hear because my Husband thinks plaid makes him look fat.... are there other choices?

Francesca
Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #208

Registry
Quote:
I'm anxious to hear because my Husband thinks plaid makes him look fat.... are there other choices?
Yup!
Attached Thumbnails
9781897277416.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #209

Registry
Did anyone mention that visitors to Canada should be very scared of our Moose yet?
Attached Thumbnails
canadian-humour_1337425990_epiclolcom.jpg   !cid_25657154B3974086BE7DA80B77AABE34@JamesPC.jpg  

Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #210

Registry
Quote:
Yup!
Well, I s'pose he could wear my hockey getup (below) on alternate days...

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
Mona-Lisa-Hockey-Player-87616.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #211

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
A couple elks shots of mine.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #212

Registry
Love the first one Jim! The second guy is kind of cute to though!! ;-)
Old 02-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #213

Registry
Quote:
Well, I s'pose he could wear my hockey getup (below) on alternate days...

Francesca
LOL highly recommend not wearing that hockey jersey while in any province other than Ontario or you may be given a real reason to be afraid!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #214

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
But for many jobs, the pay is 25% higher too, so it is all relative........
Sure, but Canadians have to pay to heat their homes 12 months a year.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #215

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Actually only 8 months out it in my location Assuming its not an unseasonable cold spring/summer.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #216

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
You SURE can!! That was amazing. I heard an interview with Leonard Cohen on CBC a few weeks ago and he said the same thing. The funny part of the story behind it was that she had not done the song before and she would not let the people organizing the opening ceremonies hear her sing it before hand. So they where sweating bullets about what she might do until she started to sing.

During the Olympics I was stationed in Whistler and by the time the opening came around I had already spent 17 days long days on the mountain getting the alpine race courses ready so I fell asleep as soon as the TV was turned on for the opening. My roommate at the hotel made me wake up so I would at least hear that part of the opening. So glad they did!

Not sure why Cohen would say she had not sung it before, since she sang it when he was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of fame in 2006. The performance was, as always with her, stunning.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #217

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian-Vicki View Post
Not sure why Cohen would say she had not sung it before, since she sang it when he was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of fame in 2006. The performance was, as always with her, stunning.
cheers
Ian
All Cohen said was he liked her version the best, it was the organizers of the opening who had not heard her sing it as she hadnt recorded it and as far as they were aware she had only done it publicly at the relatively small affairs as you mention (1300 or so people) so they were not sure how it would all play out in such a big venue in part due to her refusing to attend the rehearsal night they held.

EDIT: Vicki I just did a google and your right not only had she sang it in public at venues other than the Hall of Fame but she had recorded it as well. So have no idea why the party that CBC was interviewing in regards to her performance of it at the Opening Ceremonies would say she hadnt.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #218

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
But we do save a lot on air conditioning.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #219

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All...I'm totally flabbergasted that in all the "Spelling Bees" no one has mentioned the way Canadians spell the word "FIBREGLASS".
I guess I'm "no one"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Vic, you forgot fibreglass!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #220

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Quote:
All Cohen said was he liked her version the best, it was the organizers of the opening who had not heard her sing it as she hadnt recorded it and as far as they were aware she had only done it publicly at the relatively small affairs as you mention (1300 or so people) so they were not sure how it would all play out in such a big venue in part due to her refusing to attend the rehearsal night they held.
They might not have heard her perform it before, but she did record it on her "Hymns of the 49th Parallel" in 2004. Fantastic album, btw.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote