Cap or Tonneau Cover? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Cap or Tonneau Cover?

I've been looking for a cover for a 2010 Toyota TRD Sport 4 door crew cab long bed. It's confusing whether a cap is better or a tonneau. I've read on the Toyota forums that guys drop MPG with a cap.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #2

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
When I had a p/u truck, I tried both. My first purchase was the cover. It was ok, but I could not carry any items taller than the top of the bed of the truck. Otherwise, I had to remove the cover and support bars and stash them. In addition, it seemed that when it rained, water got inside more easily. Then I bought a cap. It was nice because I could lock it, carry things up to 4' tall. As for gas mileage, I didn't compare it, but if it were big it certainly would have been noticeable. Of note, the truck I had was a 1991 Nissan SE-V6, now the Frontier. Great vehicle.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #3

NE Oklahoma
Thanks Wallo.
The caps I've looked at weigh 180 lbs. and up.
If there was a mpg issue, I'm assuming it would be the weight.

I've alway driven GMC Sierra and the mpg was the same with or without load.

But my Taco is a V-6 and I'm not real familiar with it yet. Only drive it to haul
off the trash or go when the wife has the car. I know it will drop when we start
pulling a TT. I'm guesstimating about 20 mpg right now empty.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The shell carries bigger and more stuff. You can put racks on the shell if you carry kayaks or bikes. I would get the side windows that lift up like the rear window. It makes it easier to reach stuff stored up front.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Cap! And the weight of one is slight enough that it would have no effect on mpg. Wind is the big mpg killer, not weight.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have had both now I have Toyota cross bed tool box in my Tacoma and Vinyl aluminimun framed Tonneau from Extang.com.
It's seven years old and looks like the day I bought it.
The cover weighs about 10 or 12 pounds and can be removed or replaced in about 2 minutes without any tools.
I haul my ATV in my Tacoma occassionally and it's easier to remove a lockable tool box and the tonneau than a cap.
I prefer this set up to a cap.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have an A.R.E canopy on my truck. I love it. Stuff is secure but thoroughly accessable. I've even camped under it before I bought my trailer. Insulated with lights. What's not to like?
Attached Thumbnails
ARE_Truck.jpg  
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have had both cover & cap, and I really like the extra storage space with the cap, and it helps protect the trailer from bugs & rocks. Mileage was the same with either when not towing, but with the cap pulling the Scamp I got one mile per gallon better. Less wind drag I guess.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Supposedly, the cap helps the aerodynamics of towing a trailer as the additional height and continuity of the tow vehicle creates less turbulence between the tug and trailer, thereby offsetting the weight with a somewhat better wind pattern.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #10

NE Oklahoma
Thanks everyone.
You've really shed some light on many questions.
Jim, that was what I was hoping. With the Snoozy,
it should be a good combination. Glad to hear RG and
Dave haven't had any mpg change in theirs. I'm thinking
about the side windows Eddie, that's a good suggestion.

Those are great pics Donna. I was wanting one just like that,
but I would lose my back up camera in my tailgate. It would
definitely make a better "camping" rig.

We went shopping for pricing today. $$$$$$$$$$ WOW! lol.

I'm thinking some of the web sites I have been looking at may be
old and out of date. There was a $500 discrepancy in prices. But
it wouldn't take much for the inflation to have jump that much.

Still have time to look around. Won't need it until we go to pick up
our Snoozy in May or June.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #11

NE Oklahoma
We made a few rounds yesterday. Picked up a brochure and checked prices.
Googled other dealers within 60 mile radius. Found one that was $150 cheaper
than the local dealer. Found a $75 coupon from the company.

So today we ventured out since the weather went around us and what we got was all melted off. We will soon have a LEER 180. Ordered it today, should be back in four weeks. I think it will meet the expectations we have for our purposes. I'll post a pic or two once it gets here.

I did opt for the sliding front window that pulls down to wash the back window of the truck. I think we will be satisfied with that.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Guess I'm late to this party. I would have said that the cap makes it a little harder to see toward the back, when backing up this is important. Also when not towing the cap may cut mpg slightly, because the larger flatter rear profile will create more suction, but I doubt it will exceed 1 mpg difference.

Just call me the wet blanket....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 82 Burro
I choose to purchase the Extang Classic Platinum Tonneau Cover from Auto-AnythingExtang Classic Platinum Tonneau Covers - Best Prices & Reviews on Extang Classic Platinum Truck Bed Covers for several reasons -

1) It was cheap.

2)I have the best excuse to never loan out my vehicle. "Sorry, but the cover is on and it's really hard to snap back on in the winter," or, "Sorry, but the cover is on and the back end is full of camping gear." (Side note: Why do friends always feel like borrowing your truck is no big deal? I'd never call them and ask if I could borrow their husband. )

3) It's totally removable (roll-able) whenever I want to haul something.

4) Typically, when you install a cap it is a permanent installation.

4) It looks real purdy after I Armour-All it on wash day.

All kidding aside, I'm sorry I waited so long to buy one. I feel a nice sense of security in the campground because I know no one can walk by and look at my stuff. I'm not a big person and routinely scoot under it to retrieve whatever ends up in the front of the truck bed. However, I had to buy a new ice chest because my old one was too tall and wouldn't fit under the cover..

Shirley

Carbon Fiber is the new black!
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #14

Name: Rob
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
Oregon
Interesting discussions. I am with the minority and bought a tonneau. I wanted a low profile cover that provided good visibility out the rear window. I built an organizer rack to keep my frequently accessed gear between the tailgate and the wheel wells. I have been very happy with this set up.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #15

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have an A.R.E canopy on my truck. I love it. Stuff is secure but thoroughly accessable. I've even camped under it before I bought my trailer. Insulated with lights. What's not to like?
ARE tops are definitely the way to go.

Personally, I prefer the aluminum models. They're stronger, more secure and easier to modify. (Insulating/finishing the interior, etc)

Oh, and the built in ladder racks are awesome for kayaks or loading sheets of plywood without disturbing the crap in the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2274.JPG  
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
Personally, I prefer the aluminum models. They're stronger, more secure and easier to modify. (Insulating/finishing the interior, etc)
We have to be careful, we'll end up having the same discussion concerns about all molded trailers versus stickies!

Love the one you're with!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #17

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
This is what I want: Can-Back Canvas Truck Camper Shell
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you have pets, the cap is almost a necessity, particularly if you have passengers. While enroute we keep our labs in the back seat area with the seats down. But I also carry metal cages in the bed with the cap. If there is an emergency of if there is an animal that may need to be rescued, I have that option. Also when we go out to eat, they go in their cages in the bed.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have always had a topper on any pickup truck I have owned. Great for storage and stowing of gear. On one work truck I had operating side windows, which opened up. This was great for getting at things in the front without climbing over other stuff.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #20

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley LaMoine View Post
I choose to purchase the Extang Classic Platinum Tonneau Cover from Auto-AnythingExtang Classic Platinum Tonneau Covers - Best Prices & Reviews on Extang Classic Platinum Truck Bed Covers for several reasons -

1) It was cheap.

2)I have the best excuse to never loan out my vehicle. "Sorry, but the cover is on and it's really hard to snap back on in the winter," or, "Sorry, but the cover is on and the back end is full of camping gear." (Side note: Why do friends always feel like borrowing your truck is no big deal? I'd never call them and ask if I could borrow their husband. )

3) It's totally removable (roll-able) whenever I want to haul something.

4) Typically, when you install a cap it is a permanent installation.

4) It looks real purdy after I Armour-All it on wash day.

All kidding aside, I'm sorry I waited so long to buy one. I feel a nice sense of security in the campground because I know no one can walk by and look at my stuff. I'm not a big person and routinely scoot under it to retrieve whatever ends up in the front of the truck bed. However, I had to buy a new ice chest because my old one was too tall and wouldn't fit under the cover..

Shirley

Carbon Fiber is the new black!
I used to go around and give talks or speeches at various functions. I always liked to tell the story of a fellow that was always wanting to borrow things from his neighbor. One day he wanted to borrow his neighbors axe. The neighbor told him no. And of course the fellow wanted to know why not. The neighbor said, "I can't loan you my axe because I'm going to make soup."
The fellow was bewildered. Again he wanted to borrow it. Again he got the same reason. And on it went. Finally the fellow asked his neighbor what did making soup have to do with his axe. "Nothing!" he said, "I just don't want you to use my axe."

I've always liked that so much that there are still times people ask me to borrow something, and I say, No, I'm going to make soup.

There's already been hints about my Snoozy being "community property" from some of my church members. Funny thing will happen though, when they go on vacation, I'll be going on vacation.............lol.