Cashless Tolling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Cashless Tolling

A while back I ran into cashless campgrounds, that is campgrounds that required you call a central location and make a reservation with a credit card if you wanted a site. No cash allowed. Now cashless tolling has arrived. There are no toll roads here in Vermont, so I've never bothered getting an EZ Pass.(the toll system used here in the east). But it looks like I may have to. A number of states, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland to name a few, are going cashless on their toll roads and bridges. For those without an EZ Pass they take a shot of your license plate and mail you a bill courtesy of the address on file at your local DMV. Atleast in some cases the mailed bills include a fee. Progress, I guess.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I-pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I've never bothered getting an EZ Pass.(the toll system used here in the east). But it looks like I may have to. A number of states, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland to name a few, are going cashless on their toll roads and bridges. For those without an EZ Pass they take a shot of your license plate and mail you a bill courtesy of the address on file at your local DMV. Atleast in some cases the mailed bills include a fee. Progress, I guess.
Before my trip to the south east last fall I got an I-pass from the state of Illinois, I asked about Florida and was told that it was honored in ALL eastern states. Well maybe in some places but not by any SUN PASS locations. I spent a lot of cash to travel Florida including $8 to cross a bridge that could have been easily avoided. The electronic system is great, but carry cash with-in easy reach as a backup.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Mass eliminated all the toll booths at entry/exit points, along with a lot of jobs. Having the Mass EZ Pass is the cheapest rate, for the Mass Pike, EZ Pass from other states is slightly higher rate, and them sending a bill is higher yet. Not sure when the toll takers will be eliminated here in NY, but it's coming. A friend brought up the question of what happens when you are in a rental vehicle. We have a NY EZ Pass transponder on each of our vehicles (3), all under one account. I add money to the account when it gets low, around $40, by making a one time payment with a credit card. Only encountered a Sun Pass highway one time when we were in Florida. We are 3 minutes from I 90 so use our EZ Pass fairly often.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Atleast in some cases the mailed bills include a fee. Progress, I guess.

You could load the wagon and truck to the toll office with a bushel of wheat, I guess.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We rented a vehicle last June to drive from DC up the coast to NS an back by QC, NY, and PA. Shocking the amount of tolls, coming from a state without any!

The rental had a transponder. Bill went to our credit card.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
In Illinois you pay double without an I-Pass. I still haven't gotten one but may soon if we are ever allowed to travel again.
We may not need one though , if they just start using the tracking devices on our phones and on the new vehicles to monitor our movements, right down to speed, acceleration and lane use.
Thing is, when they start charging per mile driven, they will not remove the fuel tax.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Before my trip to the south east last fall I got an I-pass from the state of Illinois, I asked about Florida and was told that it was honored in ALL eastern states. Well maybe in some places but not by any SUN PASS locations. I spent a lot of cash to travel Florida including $8 to cross a bridge that could have been easily avoided. The electronic system is great, but carry cash with-in easy reach as a backup.
E-Z Pass (and I guess I-Pass) only works on some of the toll roads around Orlando, which also accept Sunpass. It is my understanding that the Feds told Florida to convert all roads to the E-Z Pass standard, subject to obtaining USDOT funding. If this is true, then all I can say is Florida is once again dragging its feet rather than getting something done. It’s somewhat annoying as I have to have the Sunpass for Florida and an E-Z Pass for when I visit family and friends in NH. It sure would be convenient to only have one transponder that would be good anywhere electronic tolls are in place.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
I am a cheap creep when it comes to tolls. I have my Garmin set to alert me when there are tolls. I then compare distance and ETA one way or another and so far they all have been a few minutes or miles different nothing to fuss over.

It is good to get off the freeway for a few miles to. You can't avoid all of them though. I have EZ-Pass for crossing the Hudson and short stints on Mass Pike.

This Pandemic has revealed the true colors of a lot of our politicians. If they start tracking us that much I will turn the phone right off.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:30 PM   #9

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It sure would be convenient to only have one transponder that would be good anywhere electronic tolls are in place.

I wish! There's a few toll lanes in WA State, but it's more for the car pool lanes and you're not supposed to be pulling a trailer in those anyway.

A few years ago I took the trailer out for a partial cross-country trip and went through the Houston area. Where the RV park was I had to use the toll roads to head up to Dallas and my friend informed me they would send me a bill since I didn't have the Texas Pass (or whatever it was called). I finally figured out that I could pull off at some toll booths to pay cash, but I know I didn't pay every time I should have. I never did get any bills, so I guess they either figured I was an out-of-stater that was clueless or I paid enough times it was okay. Or I just got lucky.

Either way, I would have had lots less stress if there was one central electronic tolling system that would work for all states, as I do have one for this area as there's a few routes I take where I have to pay even if it's not a car pool lane.

Yeah, we can dream, huh?

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #10

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
Quote:
A while back I ran into cashless campgrounds, that is campgrounds that required you call a central location and make a reservation with a credit card if you wanted a site. No cash allowed. Now cashless tolling has arrived. There are no toll roads here in Vermont, so I've never bothered getting an EZ Pass.(the toll system used here in the east). But it looks like I may have to. A number of states, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland to name a few, are going cashless on their toll roads and bridges. For those without an EZ Pass they take a shot of your license plate and mail you a bill courtesy of the address on file at your local DMV. Atleast in some cases the mailed bills include a fee. Progress, I guess.

There are free here in NY and they do give you a discount on tolls, you have to prepay $25.00 at a time, It seems to work in most states I did get a few mailed form Fl.and CO. I see the Florida one was $1.20 and fee of $40.00 was waived on first a fence . in florda they work on most roads but there was a few miles it did not. not sure why. I did get a check out asap to them. besides that big brother knows where you are and how fast you where going there really make thing easy. and now with covid who wants to stop at a toll both.
yes it be great to have one that works at all places. one thing that worries me as we get more used to this we will never even realize when tolls are raised , in fact i don't think i every went online at looked at statement. I think they should have to display the amount of toll you paid when your flying by at 75 MPH
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 21
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
In Illinois you pay double without an I-Pass. I still haven't gotten one but may soon if we are ever allowed to travel again.
We may not need one though , if they just start using the tracking devices on our phones and on the new vehicles to monitor our movements, right down to speed, acceleration and lane use.
Thing is, when they start charging per mile driven, they will not remove the fuel tax.

The biggest problem with I-Pass and a trailer is that you still get charged full price which is the same as a medium sized commercial truck. In some cases a.75 cent toll is $6.40. I have an I-Pass and generally try to avoid the toll roads when with my trailer.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #12

Name: Judith
Trailer: Eriba Puck
NC
[QUOTE=floyd;777525]In Illinois you pay double without an I-Pass. I still haven't gotten one but may soon if we are ever allowed to travel again.
We may not need one though , if they just start using the tracking devices on our phones and on the new vehicles to monitor our movements, right down to speed, acceleration and lane use./QUOTE]

What if everyone in the vehicle has a phone? How many times would you be charged? What if, like me, you don't have a mobile phone?
Judith Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
[QUOTE=Judith Neville;778107]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We may not need one though , if they just start using the tracking devices on our phones and on the new vehicles to monitor our movements, right down to speed, acceleration and lane use./QUOTE]

What if everyone in the vehicle has a phone? How many times would you be charged? What if, like me, you don't have a mobile phone?
Good point! But all the more reason they would love it!

They could switch to FordPass or whatever the offbrands call theirs, like OnStar, "SubieTrack" should be seven times as good!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
I hate the inequity in the toll charges. Tow vehicle, 2 axles, $1.75. Tow vehicle with 1 axle trailer, $ 3.50 at my local "highway robbery" toll road.

I use a Visa card with a $50 limit for these "slot machines" on roads and parking garages. If I get hit for over $50 the transaction is declined. The charge card people don't like to give you a low limit. Just insist.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
...I use a Visa card with a $50 limit for these "slot machines" on roads and parking garages. If I get hit for over $50 the transaction is declined. ...
What happens afterwards? If the toll or parking charge is not paid, what are the consequences? I like the idea of limiting my losses if I get over-charged but I dont want to rack up a bunch of payments for nonpayment.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
I hate the inequity in the toll charges. Tow vehicle, 2 axles, $1.75. Tow vehicle with 1 axle trailer, $ 3.50 at my local "highway robbery" toll road.

I use a Visa card with a $50 limit for these "slot machines" on roads and parking garages. If I get hit for over $50 the transaction is declined. The charge card people don't like to give you a low limit. Just insist.
If you think this is bad, you should try a motorcycle pulling a small cargo trailer sometime. Charged the same as someone with an F150 pulling a single axle trailer.

IMG_3805 by wrk101, on Flickr
Old 05-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have the I-Pass for use in IL and states east. We were surprised that, in addition to the FL SunPass, OK and TX also have their own passes for their toll roads. Has anyone tried the RV-Pass being advertised as working nationwide?
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #18

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
If your card gets declined, there is no penalty from the card issuer. Never had a penalty for being declined. Used to be a charge for that, but it was outlawed. It's not like writing a bad check. I had a gas station double charge me, and they didn't get a second dip.

Thrifty Bill, I love that rig. Looks like you went down a gravel road or two.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #19
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A couple of years ago, headed home from a trip south, I took the N.J. Turnpike. A week after getting home I get a nasty note from the Turnpike Authority with a nice picture of the back of my Trillium and a bill for $2.45 plus an administration fee of $50. I remember handing the toll taker the card and a twenty and getting change but didn't pay attention to the charge. I assumed she had made an error so I sent them $2.45 with a note and never heard another word.... until next year when I made the same trip. About a week after getting home it's deja vu all over again. Same nasty note. Same picture, same bill. Only this time I had a receipt. I sent in a copy. Nothing back yet. While its nice to savor victory, it would not surprise me if I'm wanted in New Jersey for toll evasion.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #20

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Talking LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I am a cheap creep when it comes to tolls. I have my Garmin set to alert me when there are tolls. I then compare distance and ETA one way or another and so far they all have been a few minutes or miles different nothing to fuss over.

It is good to get off the freeway for a few miles to. You can't avoid all of them though. I have EZ-Pass for crossing the Hudson and short stints on Mass Pike.

This Pandemic has revealed the true colors of a lot of our politicians. If they start tracking us that much I will turn the phone right off.
Be careful .....many phones are track-able even when off..better solution is a 'wrap' for the phone which blocks the signal..tho I wd not know where to buy such a device. really. honest
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote