Casita 16 Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: In the market
Virginia
Casita 16 Question

Hey guys, I’m interested in getting a travel trailer and was looking at both the scamp and casita as they both offer nice amenities. Though I am leaning more towards the casita because it seems to be a little nicer of a product. That being said, my vehicle tow capacity is 3500 and research on forums like this seem to indicate I’m better off avoiding their 17’ model and sticking with the 16 foot to ensure I’m not close to or over my max.

That being said, dos anyone know for sure if they still make the 16 footers? My brother seems to think not but they still have the 16 foot info all over their site. I emailed the company a a week ago and never heard back. Perhaps because if they don’t make them anymore I won’t be a customer and my patronage ain’t too important
sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Scamp still makes a 16'; Casita does not. Escape at one time made a 13' & a 15' but has also stopped making both.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #3

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
I recently weighed my 17' 2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe on the drive on scale at my local recycling center. Casita currently lists the "dry weight" as 2,480 lbs. My trailer with 1½+ full propane tanks; battery; moderate groceries, cooking amenities, & camping supplies; empty fresh water tank & grey/black tanks, no awning, etc. weighed 2,900 lbs. Later, one of my friends at a rally used his portable scale to read my tongue weight at 380 lbs.

My 2018 Chevy Colorado WT lists it's tow weight limit as 3,500 lbs with tongue weight at 15%. Although my truck is a 4 cylinder gas model, it seems to tow the trailer "adequately". Steep road grades are a minor issue but it gets us there. I do use a weight distribution hitch to mitigate (somewhat) the tongue weight.

Whether you're still "in the market" or not, feel free to visit the rally at Hungry Mother State Park (just outside Marion, VA) at the end of October. We typically have Casitas, Scamps, Escapes, Bolers, Big Foot(s), etc. that you can "visit" and chat with us.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Scamp still makes a 16'; Casita does not. Escape at one time made a 13' & a 15' but has also stopped making both.
Ah that's a bummer. Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
I recently weighed my 17' 2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe on the drive on scale at my local recycling center. Casita currently lists the "dry weight" as 2,480 lbs. My trailer with 1½+ full propane tanks; battery; moderate groceries, cooking amenities, & camping supplies; empty fresh water tank & grey/black tanks, no awning, etc. weighed 2,900 lbs. Later, one of my friends at a rally used his portable scale to read my tongue weight at 380 lbs.

My 2018 Chevy Colorado WT lists it's tow weight limit as 3,500 lbs with tongue weight at 15%. Although my truck is a 4 cylinder gas model, it seems to tow the trailer "adequately". Steep road grades are a minor issue but it gets us there. I do use a weight distribution hitch to mitigate (somewhat) the tongue weight.

Whether you're still "in the market" or not, feel free to visit the rally at Hungry Mother State Park (just outside Marion, VA) at the end of October. We typically have Casitas, Scamps, Escapes, Bolers, Big Foot(s), etc. that you can "visit" and chat with us.
Thanks for those figures. Does that include any passengers or just you? I saw that rally at hungry mother. Probably about 4 hours away for me so I may make the trip. My ford escape seems to stick to 10% for tongue weight as they rate it at 350 so I would probably be okay on the trailer weight but the tongue weight would be a problem. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable exceeding that even if I installed a weight distribution hitch. Though I suppose tongue weight can probably be lessened if the trailer is more back loaded for transport.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:58 PM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2a View Post
Ah that's a bummer. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for those figures. Does that include any passengers or just you? .... My ford escape seems to stick to 10% for tongue weight as they rate it at 350 so I would probably be okay on the trailer weight but the tongue weight would be a problem. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable exceeding that even if I installed a weight distribution hitch. Though I suppose tongue weight can probably be lessened if the trailer is more back loaded for transport.
The weights do not include either myself or the pickup.

Since the Casita is a single axle trailer and since the axle in the Spirit Deluxe is just aft of the kitchen sink, the trailer is mostly "front loaded". The only items behind the axle are the battery, fresh water tank, water heater (both of wich were empty) and the dinette (double bed) with the storage compartments above it.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A 17’er is off the table. Too heavy, especially tongue weight, as others have said. Casita recommends a minimum 5000# tow rating.

However, the discontinuation of the Casita 16’ is a recent event, and I have seen late model used units for sale. There was a 2019 a few days ago. You’ll have to act fast if you see one.

Scamp is a good alternative (extra height, wider aisle, roof A/C, and rear window that opens), but build times for new are long, and they don’t offer anything comparable to the Liberty layout if that's what you're after. Base price is lower, but the option list is longer, so there's more flexibility to outfit it the way you want.

Scamp's deposit policy is very generous ($500 gets you a place in line, 100% refundable until the day they start your build). You could order the Scamp and have up to a year or more to search for a nice used, late model Casita 16 (or a used Scamp for that matter).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:39 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Hey guys, I’m interested in getting a travel trailer and was looking at both the scamp and casita as they both offer nice amenities. Though I am leaning more towards the casita because it seems to be a little nicer of a product. That being said, my vehicle tow capacity is 3500 and research on forums like this seem to indicate I’m better off avoiding their 17’ model and sticking with the 16 foot to ensure I’m not close to or over my max.

That being said, dos anyone know for sure if they still make the 16 footers? My brother seems to think not but they still have the 16 foot info all over their site. I emailed the company a a week ago and never heard back. Perhaps because if they don’t make them anymore I won’t be a customer and my patronage ain’t too important
Stick to the Casita if you can. If you read this column a lot there are a lot of things in a Scamp I wouldn't want such as a pump to put the dirty water over the axle into the holding tank. We looked for a long time and Scamps just didn't seem to be the quality of the Casita. I'm sure many would disagree but go look really close at several of both.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:44 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
The only person I know who has owned one of each of similar age and condition- 16’ Casita and 16’ Scamp- is Norm (honda03842), and he pronounced it a wash in terms of quality. They definitely have different strengths and weaknesses, so agree it’s best to get a first-hand look and form your own opinion.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:45 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Casita factory is flooded with orders for new trailers with a wait time of close to one year. They stopped production of the 16's to concentrate on the more popular 17 footer. The axle location on the 16 is more centered than the 17 which reduces tongue weight. The 16 has the curved door whereas the 17 has the flat door with a screen door.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:38 AM   #10

Virginia
Talking

Thanks for the replies, everyone. For the time being, I am probably going to wait and see if any 16 casitas on the newer side pop on the market and go from there. I was hoping with things returning to normal with covid19, more campers would be on the market. Although I suppose these more expensive fiberglass campers are less likely to come up since they hold their value/ last for a long time, so I'm starting to do more research on scamp 16's, should I decide to just order a new one. I have to say, the scamp website isn't nearly as informative as the casita one. Why they don't have galleries for each floorplan I just don't understand.

Anyway, thanks again for all the information!
Old 04-24-2021, 06:02 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
I find Casita does not always answer emails. They did answer one email I sent them, THREE YEARS LATER!!! Phone call for the WIN.

These FG trailer manufacturers tend to be small operations, and customer response is not always a strong point.

I have gotten quick responses from Escape via email. So some are better than others.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:52 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A 17’er is off the table. Too heavy, especially tongue weight, as others have said. Casita recommends a minimum 5000# tow rating.
There are a number of newer, gutsier, vehicles rated to tow 3500 lbs that can easily pull a 17' Casita, without experiencing the dreaded 'pucker factor' through mountain passes, etc. The Subaru Outback is one example.

Eileen
Arizona Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Eileen View Post
There are a number of newer, gutsier, vehicles rated to tow 3500 lbs that can easily pull a 17' Casita, without experiencing the dreaded 'pucker factor' through mountain passes, etc. The Subaru Outback is one example.

Eileen
Most Casita 17Ds exceed 400# tongue weight. I think that is the main reason for Casita's 5000/500# recommendation.

I am aware a number of people do use 3500/350# rated vehicles, often with a weight distributing hitch to manage the tongue weight. I would be easy to overload the rear axle with such a set-up. It's very easy to exceed the rear axle weight rating.

There is also the whole frontal area problem. A 3500/350# tow rating is only tested with a 30 sf trailer. A 5000/500# rating is tested with a 40 sf trailer.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:19 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
I have owned a 16' Casita and now own a 17' Casita.
The front under closet AC is much quieter but takes longer to cool the back.
Lower overall height, could get the 16' in some parking garages, low branches, etc. I can see why Casita isn't making the 16's right now.

Fridge on 17' is much larger and has a decent size freezing compartment.
The small fridge on old 16 footers had a freezer part, but the newer small fridges that came on the 16's don't have a freezer.

I have towed with a 4cyl Ranger, 6 cyl Ranger, '07 F150 4.6L and now with F150 5 L. The 5L is overkill, but OVERKILL IS GOOD!
The larger pickup helped my back to last a couple hundred miles longer on a trip.
If keeping the smaller tow vehicle you might check out the A-frame fold up trailers. That was my first trailer. Could see over it, get it into parking garages. Resale sucks and after 5 years the rubber seals leak, top hinges rust and start breaking.

It's all about the size of your budget and your tolerance for discomfort.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #15

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
If keeping the smaller tow vehicle you might check out the A-frame fold up trailers. That was my first trailer. Could see over it, get it into parking garages. Resale sucks and after 5 years the rubber seals leak, top hinges rust and start breaking. .
Not exactly selling that idea are y’all, LOL. I don’t want the hassle of leaks and rust, which is why I’m focusing more on Fiberglas trailers. I know they can still have issues too but seemingly with way less frequency. I keep going back and forth on the 17 casita. I feel like if I could relocate the propane tank and some other front loaded items, for transport, and get a WDH, I could probably handle a 17, though I do a fair share of camping in mountains so I’d more likely stick with a 16 casita or scamp just to ensure there are no issues.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We owned both a 16 ft Scamp and a 17 ft Casita SD
Both worked well for our style of camping but we found the quality of the Casita to be a step above Scamp
The tongue weight of our Scamp was 265 lbs - Our Casita tongue weight was
425 lbs
I am going to stay out of any tow vehicle discussion cause I already know down which road it’s headed. “ You can tow everything with anything “
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #17

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Not exactly selling that idea are y’all, LOL. I don’t want the hassle of leaks and rust, which is why I’m focusing more on Fiberglas trailers. I know they can still have issues too but seemingly with way less frequency. I keep going back and forth on the 17 casita. I feel like if I could relocate the propane tank and some other front loaded items, for transport, and get a WDH, I could probably handle a 17, though I do a fair share of camping in mountains so I’d more likely stick with a 16 casita or scamp just to ensure there are no issues.
I'd find a good used heavier duty tow vehicle. You'll need it in the mountains. We towed with a 6 cyl and it did well with our 17' Casita but decided we'd like more power and went to a V-8. We go over a lot of mountain passes.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #18

Virginia
Thanks but I think I will likely stick with a scamp. Even though it isn't quite as modernized as today's 17 casitas, the newer Scamps do have some nice modern ammenities that tip the scales over a 16 casita. The biggest thing is that I don't think I could do at 44" bed with my partner. Also the weight is a consideration as I will have some mountain trips I'm sure. Thanks for all the info!
Old 05-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #19

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
If large bed size is something you desire don't rule out the Casita Liberty and Independence.
Both of those have twin beds that turn into King sized beds.
The Liberty has a wider aisle.

Tags
casita