Casita air conditioning condensate drain - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We have a 17' SD with an air conditioner on the roof that we just started running since we stopped in Las Vegas. Oddly I've seen no pools of water from condensate. Where does this come out?

Also, can anyone prod the moderator at Casita Club to contact me about registration? I can log in, but anything else gives me the following error:

The error returned was:
Sorry, you do not have permission to start a topic in this forum

I can be contacted at jameswadewilsom a t Gmail.

Thanks!
James Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
There may not be enough humidity in LV to make enough water to drain. I don't have a roof AC on an egg...someone will be along to answer your question.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
There may not be enough humidity in LV to make enough water to drain. I don't have a roof AC on an egg...someone will be along to answer your question.

You got it right I think Lizbeth. There is virtually no water accumulation that needs to be drained at 10% humidity. Especially when the temp is over 80 which will evaporate what little there is before it gets the chance to drip.

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

Where would it drain if there were enough humidity? I've seen enough AC condensate problems that I want to make sure that the drain system is ok. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
You got it right I think Lizbeth. There is virtually no water accumulation that needs to be drained at 10% humidity. Especially when the temp is over 80 which will evaporate what little there is before it gets the chance to drip.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I haven't had any condensation when using our air on our Casita, and like Lizbeth and Ron said, I think it may be that I too am in a low humidity climate.

As far as the Casita Club, heck I gave up on that a year ago. I found a better response here so haven't even bothered. I think you will find enough info here about your Casita as anywhere else. Sorry I can't help you with how to get thru the gate on the Casita Club forum.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #6

That's a shame about the Casita Club, there are a lot of knowledgeable people there and I'd like to discuss things with them some time. I've heard of other people having the same problems though...

Quote:
I haven't had any condensation when using our air on our Casita, and like Lizbeth and Ron said, I think it may be that I too am in a low humidity climate.

As far as the Casita Club, heck I gave up on that a year ago. I found a better response here so haven't even bothered. I think you will find enough info here about your Casita as anywhere else. Sorry I can't help you with how to get thru the gate on the Casita Club forum.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Where would it drain if there were enough humidity?
I think it would drain onto the roof if it is a roof mounted unit.

The cabinet (or closet) mounted units would drain out the back of the unit which the [b]air conditioner manufacturer assumes is hanging outside a window when he builds it. Since that may not be the case in some trailers, a drain hose must be added to them to get the condensate outside. Since the roof mounted unit is already totally outside, I wouldn't expect it to have a drain hose...
Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
We have a 17' SD with an air conditioner on the roof that we just started running since we stopped in Las Vegas. [b]Oddly I've seen no pools of water from condensate.
I understand from where you are from in your avatar, you would expect to see condensate.
However, the air is so dry in Las Vegas that what little humidity your AC may be pulling evaporates back as soon as it is discharged.

Last July the air was so hot and dry in Palm Springs, that my little [b]5000 btu air conditioner was no match for it, and could not cool at all at 113<sup>o</sup> and 7%. It was a waste of electricity to even run it.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
On most models, including window shakers, "thru the wall A/C units", excess water shows up usually occurring with a humidity of 60% or above with a wet bulb temperature of 40 degrees and up. Water is disposed of using a slinger ring..."there are other terms for it."

Looking at the outside fan carefully you will see on the end of the fan blades a connected circle connecting the tips of the fan blades all together. The water to be disposed of enters a small passage way from the evaporator (inside coil) and gravity feeds to a depression where this ring is spinning with the fan, it picks up a small amount of water thru contact at this point, this water is misted into the outside condenser, sometimes you will hear a slosh sound or a sound that sounds like a fly buzzing occasionally, the water misted then hits the condenser coil at high speed being evaporated away, the water increases the efficency of the condensing process of the refrigerant and evaporates harmlessly.

This meathod requires the owner to periodically (under heavy use) clean the condenser coil because road dust will mix with this mist and in about 3 years create a pasty coating on the coil making the unit work harder and harder until it fails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita