Casita Campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Name: Eva and Kirk
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Casita Campers

Hi folks-
Can someone clarify the difference between Casita 16 and Casita 17? We are quite confused about model names versus lengths etc. Also, cannot seem to access their website tonight. Some kind of security warning. Anyone else experiencing that?
Any help is appreciated,
Eva and Kirk
Evirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
It looks like the site has an out of date cookie cert. Probably not a problem. I went on, and it looks like the difference generally is the configuration, side dinette, twin beds, where the stove and fridge, etc. The length is just the size difference, 17 is a little heavier, and one foot longer. The difference between standard and deluxe seems to be bath or not. That was just a quick glance. Others might have more to share.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Casita 17 has more tongue weight because the axle is located farther back. The axle on the 16 is more centered. There are different floor plans available.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Both have a similar range of floor plans. Differences that come to mind are:

The 17 has a higher ceiling.
The 17 has a flat door with screen versus a curved door.
The A/C on the 16 is located under the closet.
The fridge on the 17 is larger.
The rear bed on the 17 Spirit and Freedom is queen versus double. I'm not sure if the Liberty or Independence floorplans are available in the 16.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #5

Name: Eva and Kirk
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Casita

The Casita website worked earlier today and then in the middle of comparing layouts we got the privacy alerts. Hoping they get that sorted out.

Thanks for the info.

I'm sure the folks in Rice TX can tell us more but thanks for not making us wait till Monday when we can call.
Evirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Both have a similar range of floor plans. Differences that come to mind are:
The rear bed on the 17 Spirit and Freedom is queen versus double. I'm not sure if the Liberty or Independence floorplans are available in the 16.
Does the Freedom model have a queen bed. I know our Spirit 17 does not. Is the Freedom 17 the one with the captains chairs? We put one in our Uhaul and it was fairly comfortable but in the Casita with the captains chairs the table is very small. EDIT; the flat door with screen door is very nice to have.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
The 17 has more headroom than the 16, too.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita Campers

The bed on the 16’ is 45” wide (a twin is 39”). The bed on the 17’ is a double at 54” wide. Neither is a queen, which would be 60”.

It’s the same on Spirit and Freedom models. Obviously the Liberty is different.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Does the Freedom model have a queen bed. I know our Spirit 17 does not. Is the Freedom 17 the one with the captains chairs? We put one in our Uhaul and it was fairly comfortable but in the Casita with the captains chairs the table is very small. EDIT; the flat door with screen door is very nice to have.
The rear dinette/bed is the same in the Spirit and Freedom. I said queen but I was being generous. The on't difference I know of is the dinette vs the captain's chairs.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i've been camping in a 16' spirit deluxe since i purchased it new in 2011. since i was moving up from a 13' patriot i felt i was moving into a spacious mansion. aside from the obvious differences of size the 17's interior seems much more spacious than a mere foot would suggest. the 17' has a flat floor front to back and the couple of inches increased height which i suspect allows that feeling of "bigger". one big difference is the fridge in the 17' is about twice the size of of mine. another is the grey water holding tank also about twice the size of the 16' (i, however, changed that by having the larger tank from the 17' installed in mine immediately after i got it). the air conditioners are different as well. the 17' has a roof mounted "rv a/c" while it's little brother has a standard room a/c unit mounted near the floor in the front of the cabin (this makes for a smaller closet above). the roof mounted unit causes some people issues with garage clearance. then there are the doors. a flat one in the 17' with a screen door and the curved on with no screen door on the 16'. again, i remedied that issue by building my own screen door so now i have the best combination...that very cool curved door and a screen door. oh yeah, then there's the issue if limited foot space under the dinette caused by the intrusion of the wheel well under there.

after pointing out all the obvious shortcomings of the 16' i will emphatically say that i prefer the one i have. i do travel solo and don't have to share the reduced space with anyone except my 40 or so pound traveling companion (her name is "simple" and she's a catahoula hound). also, i worked as a photographer for 40 years or so and spent a whole lot of time in darkrooms (remember those?). those darkrooms were small and since a lot of the activity in them was in the, well, dark. things needed to be readily at hand in there and i feel quite comfortable in my small rig. i do feel a couple would most likely find the extra space in the 17' more comfortable.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I also believe the frig maybe a bit smaller in the 16’....
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #12

Name: Glen
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Delux ...sold
Texas
In the Liberty delux 17' you have the option of small twin(narrow), full, queen or king configuration.
glens2422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Aside from names the main difference is the 17' has a flat entry door allowing a screen door. The 16' has a curved door and unless the new ones have changed there is no way to use a screen door. i have a 16' and use one of the screen curtains, not a very satisfactory solution.
Humblepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #14

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
I also believe the frig maybe a bit smaller in the 16’....
Not only is the fridge bigger, it has a freezer, and the 16 does not. The advantages to the 16 are that it can be pulled by a smaller vehicle and often will fit in a garage, which is important to some folks with HOA restrictions.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
The 16' has a curved door and unless the new ones have changed there is no way to use a screen door.
i beg to differ...

p@
Attached Thumbnails
done_exterior_closed.jpg  
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
One thing to remember is that Casita sell ratio is around 100 to 1, that is 100 17' models to 1 16' model. This does tell me what the market is on the 16' vs. the 17'.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #17

Name: Jeannie
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
New Mexico
Registry
Originally ordered a 16' Casita Spirit. Really glad that I changed the order to the 17' Spirit Deluxe. The differences between the two were definatly worth upgrading:
What the 17' has, and the 16' does not:
1. Slide out step
2. Screen door.
3. Deadbolt lock
4. Air conditioner w/heat strip on the top instead of small a/c on the floor up front.
5. More headroom
6. Larger closest and more storage space
7. Much larger refrigerator - including freezer unit. In the 16' it's only a 1.7 cubic inch refrig (very small)
8. All windows open on the 17' - but not on the 16'
You pay a little more for the 17' - but sure worth it!
JeannieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Casita Campers

Yes, the 17’ is a more modern design with many improvements. You forgot to mention the wider main bed: 54” rather than 45” in the Spirit and Freedom models.

But beware- its secret kicker is tongue weight, typically 400-450# loaded. The tongue-heavy design makes it more stable at higher speeds but requires a more robust tow vehicle. The 16’ can be towed by a vehicle in the 3500/350# class, but the 17’ requires a minimum 5000/500# rating.

Casita sells probably ten or twenty 17’ers for each 16’er, far and away their best-selling model.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humblepaul View Post
... The 16' has a curved door and unless the new ones have changed there is no way to use a screen door. i have a 16' and use one of the screen curtains, not a very satisfactory solution.
Scamps have curved doors and screen doors. Older ones use a bi-fold and newer ones use a Plisse retractable screen door. In either case all it takes is a little framing. If you find the screen curtain unacceptable then you might want to look into doing something similar.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
A while back Plisse was looking for Casita 16 owners to develop a prototype. Never heard what became of that project. Possibly they found out how few 16’ers are actually sold and decided against the investment.

Although the Casita 16 is similar to the Scamp 16, it looks like the A/C unit in the front curbside corner creates a little complication. There are as yet no off-the-shelf products other than curtains, which I find inconvenient.

I love having a screen door on my Scamp and wouldn’t be without one.

Tags
casita