Casita carpet question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Kjs

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Shopping
Pennsylvania
Casita carpet question

I like everything about the Casita except one thing, the carpet covering the walls. I understand why it is used, however, I cannot help from thinking it would take on odors after awhile. I also question if condensation causes any mold issues between the carpet and the fiberglass. Has anyone ever tried to cover their carpet with any form of vinyl where possible? If that is possible I then question if this may cause condensation issues as mentioned above as well? Thanks for any of your thoughts or experiences.
Kjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Well, having my opinion of carpet that I have had for 30 plus years, you would think I would be the last person in the world to buy a Casita! But I did just that, 5 years ago. My biggest concern was cleanliness. Honestly haven't found the carpet on Casita's wall's, ceiling an issue at all......... The floor, that's a different story! But I took care of that.......

I too, was worried about odors, I don't cook inside so the odor issues has been avoided. But would have to say, that you would have to cook some pretty greasy, stinky stuff for the odor to linger long. At least that is my Casita experience.

As far as condensation, living in CO I haven't found it to be an issue. So will let others in more wet weather area's comment on that. But will say, Casita's come from Texas. And Texas is humid sticky area, if the carpet was a huge issue than I think those Texans would change it up.

The one nice thing about the Casita wall covering, it's cleanable! I have taken the carpet cleaner and cleaned my interior. I vacuum a few times a season, but not because I have to....... Just makes me feel better!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Kjs

Pennsylvania
Thank you for your experiences and thoughts
Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Kurt, We've had both a Casita and Scamp, both covered with marine fabric/carpet. In both cases they were about of 20 years old. We live in our trailers about 8 months a year and cook virtually every day at least one meal a day. Typically we cook bacon for breakfast 6 days a week with our eggs. The rig does have a bacon smell after breakfast but the bacon odor is usually gone well before noon.

The trailer's wall surface is an almost miracle material. Of course there's an occasional spot but it cleans easily. Around the stove is mostly fiberglass and that cleans easily.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have a Casita and have allergies therefore no carpet at home. The carpet on walls was something I wasn't keen on but like Robin it has really been a non issue. No allergies, no smells etc. Visually it is still not my favourite wall covering though!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
What amazes me about the wall coverings in both Casita and Scamp is their long-term life. I'm amazed by anything that still looks good after 22 years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Since in both Scamp and Casita the wall covering is glued to the fiberglass or glues an insulating layer and that's glued to fiberglass there's no place for condensation.
We have a Scamp we've had since 2006 (actually Dec. 15, 2005 but who's counting) and cook in it all the time. Not a problem. Two things I really like about the material on the walls and ceiling is the lack of condensation (happens some on the windows) and the quietness. The first time I was in a noisy place I was amazed at how quiet it was inside.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
Kjs

Pennsylvania
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience.

Tags
casita