Casita Factory Defects Disappointments! - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #81

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
I do beleive that they bought a trailer that was originally ordered by someone else. When we placed our order, we were told our deposit waqs 100% refundable because they could just turn around and sell it at full price vs the sale price we bought it at. Our salesman offered us one that was ready for pickup last month due to the above reason. When he sent us the configuration, it was about 3k more than ours with a few less features. No sale price was offered.
Scamp does that too! But I would think they should offer it to someone next in line rather that someone who just walked in. It is not like Casita or Scamp offers big time "customized" units. They are customized to a very fine point.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #82

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I dont think for a minute that Casita simply said give us $3,000 more than the camper was going to cost just to get it sooner. A different config or model year is more likely. A quick call to Casita would clear that up.. "Hey if I give you a few grand extra can I get my camper sooner?"
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #83

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I dont think for a minute that Casita simply said give us $3,000 more than the camper was going to cost just to get it sooner. A different config or model year is more likely. A quick call to Casita would clear that up.. "Hey if I give you a few grand extra can I get my camper sooner?"
I tend to agree, but I was just following the OP's text.
Your conjecture may well be correct.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
People paying more, you may see more of this. For example, the car dealers would charge extra to buy certain cars?
Now with the shortage of supplies that we are told will last for a few years. The cost of one cargo container went from $1500 a couple of years ago to over $20 thousand.

"According to the Freightos Index, the median cost of shipping a standard rectangular metal container from China to the West Coast hit $20,586, nearly double what it cost in July, which was twice what it cost in January."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news...ber/ar-AAP4BQq

I kept my last new truck for 18 years and could have kept it indefinitely.
My Scamp is over 17 years old now and will stay with us, barring some catastrophe.

I will buy on my own terms as long as possible but scarcity must be reckoned with, and I do understand that some adjustments are to be made.
Like in Castro's Cuba they had to resort to SOB engine swaps and home made tech to keep rolling, or in Maduro's Venezuela they had to resort to eating their house pets ... we too will have to adjust to the new paradigm, one way or another...

It is said that Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...

Time alone will tell.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:40 PM   #85

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It is said that Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...
Well bless your heart! I never figured you as an advocate for progress.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:48 PM   #86

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Well bless your heart! I never figured you as an advocate for progress.
Disingenuous intent understood.

Just remember that progress and Progressive have radically different meanings.
OH! and Flo is not short for Floyd

I also advocate for liberty, which is radically different from Liberace,
even if he was a great entertainer!

Babel anyone??... (Confounded language anyway!!)
Old 10-06-2021, 11:37 PM   #87

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I like being able to make reservations. Obviously others do not. I don't want to show up at 1-2pm hoping for a site. I go to places I want to go and not camp 50 mile down the road because the campground is full.
I make reservations when possible, but don't know months in advance, but once upon a time you could get in IF you got there early, usually Thursday. I don't like 100% reservations and I'm not the only one here that feels that way. Minnesota used to have 70% reserved and 30% first-come first-served (at one time it was 50/50). It served everyone. Neither 100% reservation, nor 100% first-come first-serve work for everyone.

Quote:
As far as empty reservable sites. Does anyone honestly think people are spending $25-$50 a night and NOT showing up just so others can't get a site? I certainly don't know how other states work, but in Oregon you can miss one night and if you don't show by 1pm the following day you lose your ENTIRE reservation. Perhaps it's YOUR state's reservation system that's broken?
Don't know of a single person who is "NOT showing up just so others can't get a site."

Do you really want to get into a Oregon vs Minnesota debate? Isn't Oregon 100% reservable too?

I have a brother-in-law who only knows what weekend he will work a month in advance, by that time all sites are reserved. He's tired of the 100% reservation and is talking about selling his trailer. If you don't work weekends you probably don't understand. I know of many who work with finding there schedule a month or less in advance.

We have a seasonal commercial site here in Lanesboro, and on the east are other seasonals, but to the west are daily reservation sites. I talk to many campers that show up next to us. I've run into a few over the years that will make reservations at 2 or more state parks on the same dates and then only go to one. When asked they admit sometimes they forget to cancel. I know the ones that told me this were in very expensive 5th wheels or Titanics and don't really care about losing their money if they forget to cancel. They have more discretionary money than we have.

My son will make reservations at more than one state park the same weekend months in advance because they're not sure where they will be that far in time. He will cancel one reservation a month or more in advance. I don't like this, but it's allowed in nearly every (all?) state. This double booking has become more popular and has been mentioned in RV Travel at least once in the past year.

I'm not the only one who has noticed more no-shows at the parks and that has also been discussed on RV Travel. If they don't show up on Friday that does me no good to get a one night site on Saturday. I won't travel for one night at a campground. It's not just a Minnesota phenomenon.

Quote:
IMHO it's long past time to stop worrying about what others are doing and be concerned about our own behavior. IF you do, you'll be a lot happier.
I'm not going to sit on my butt and be complacent. I try to advocate for others. Needless to say, I talk in person, call, or write the State Park System here in Minnesota and have had more than a few conversations about these problems with department heads over the years. That's how things get changed.

I'll never let one aspect of life control my happiness. There's nothing wrong with disagreement if it's honest and civil.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:17 AM   #88

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
When I ordered my Casita in 2019 I was told they had 3 on the lot that people had canceled if I was interested? I went ahead and ordered mine.
BUT if I had to wait for 12 months I would have taken one of those 3. My build time then was 2 months.
( I had already waited 12 months & lost $10K when the RV Trailer company went out of business. )
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:23 AM   #89

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
No we dont have to disagree because that is EXACTLTY what I said was my situation for 30 years (see above). The system is non-discriminatory. How fair it is depends on your definition of fair for your situation.
Sorry I disagree. 70% reservations and 30% first-come first served worked for years and each situation gave those who didn't fit the other a fair chance. It's now all about the money, and is leaving many without a chance to camp. I'm not the only one who understands this here.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #90

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In my lifetime I've found some folks are going to complain no matter what. Want 30% of campsites left for first-come, first served? Fine. Bet someone will complain that those sites aren't the GOOD ones, whether that's size, view or proximity to services. There are literally thousands of acres available for FREE, anytime camping. Anyone who says they're going to sell their RV because the reservation system doesn't fit their lifestyle would probably be happier doing something else. Maybe buy a boat or plan on staying in hotels/motels....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #91

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Talking I'm not eating my Scamp...

Quote:
I kept my last new truck for 18 years and could have kept it indefinitely.
My Scamp is over 17 years old now and will stay with us, barring some catastrophe.

I will buy on my own terms as long as possible but scarcity must be reckoned with, and I do understand that some adjustments are to be made.
Like in Castro's Cuba they had to resort to SOB engine swaps and home made tech to keep rolling, or in Maduro's Venezuela they had to resort to eating their house pets ... we too will have to adjust to the new paradigm, one way or another...

Time alone will tell.
Just sayin... I have my limits
Old 10-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #92

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
If you had a campground how would you want to fill your spaces up? With reservations or first come first served? I think I would do reservations than hoping some folks would show up?
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #93

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
If you had a campground how would you want to fill your spaces up? With reservations or first come first served? I think I would do reservations than hoping some folks would show up?
Good point.
We have tended to overlook private campgrounds.
In some states the State Park Campgrounds are well run and competitively priced.
Some states in the MidWest are not, some have become higher in price, not as well maintained with fewer facilities and hook-ups than their private counterparts. The only time we now stay in those state parks is when there is a rally.
KOA franchise parks tend to be the exception, they often have crowded sites and cost more than nearby motels.
LOVE COE campgrounds when we can find them!
Old 10-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #94

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Good point.
We have tended to overlook private campgrounds.
In some states the State Park Campgrounds are well run and competitively priced.
Some states in the MidWest are not, some have become higher in price, not as well maintained with fewer facilities and hook-ups than their private counterparts. The only time we now stay in those state parks is when there is a rally.
KOA franchise parks tend to be the exception, they often have crowded sites and cost more than nearby motels.
LOVE COE campgrounds when we can find them!
If you want to visit Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, just try finding a COE campground, state park campground, let alone a close by private campground. It's slim pickens!!! Lots of places like that on the east coast!, especially if you want electric and water!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #95

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Quote:
In my lifetime I've found some folks are going to complain no matter what. Want 30% of campsites left for first-come, first served? Fine. Bet someone will complain that those sites aren't the GOOD ones, whether that's size, view or proximity to services. There are literally thousands of acres available for FREE, anytime camping. Anyone who says they're going to sell their RV because the reservation system doesn't fit their lifestyle would probably be happier doing something else. Maybe buy a boat or plan on staying in hotels/motels....
Yes, folks will ALWAYS complain! Talked a reservation line for a state park not too long ago and the lady said people are not happy with 9 month advance reservations. They want to be able to reserve a YEAR in advance and are complaining because it’s “only a 9 month window.” Haha! Yep, this thread is an excellent microcosm of American, showing just how unwilling and unbending so many in this country are. Not even willing to CONSIDER alternate perspectives. Laughing and ridiculing (yes, even on a forum, it’s bad taste) at others with differing opinions. Very discouraging.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #96

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Quote from the OP...
"I am new to the forum because we just picked up our new 2022 Spirit Deluxe in Rice, TX on 9/27/21.
We were glad to get it within 30 days by paying a 3k premium instead of the 12-18 month waiting list."

Looks like plain English to me, but you may read it differently( and you may be right)
Yep, buying a car for my wife right now. We had two choices:

1. Get one immediately, in stock, with a $10,000 dealer markup.

2. Order one at MSRP, wait 4 to 6 months to get it.

With Casita's long backlog right now, $3K additional markup is pretty reasonable.

It is amazing how many buyers will pay the $10,000 premium. My local dealer got four cars in one morning. Marked them all up $10,000 and all were sold that afternoon. The dealership is making several $$ million in dealer markup this year....
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #97

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Yep, buying a car for my wife right now. We had two choices:

1. Get one immediately, in stock, with a $10,000 dealer markup.

2. Order one at MSRP, wait 4 to 6 months to get it.

With Casita's long backlog right now, $3K additional markup is pretty reasonable.

It is amazing how many buyers will pay the $10,000 premium. My local dealer got four cars in one morning. Marked them all up $10,000 and all were sold that afternoon. The dealership is making several $$ million in dealer markup this year....
Forgot the third possibility... keep the old car until the insanity subsides.
If it doesn't.... A new car will be the least of our problems.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #98

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I have to laugh! My son picked up a stick built RV two months ago, and after waiting 13 months for a vehicle that cost at least five times your Casita, had to take it (or have no RV at all for another year?) in spite of the fact that the AC, the charging system, the heater and other minor things all didn't work! This from perhaps the most popular RV builder in the US. The promise is that these things will be fixed next month. I don't think I'll show him your problem; he might cry.
I happen to have picked up my LD last month. After a ten day drive home I'm grateful everything works.
RockyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #99

Trailer: Scamp
If you notice NO sales brochure ever shows any defects let alone mention that your “new prized investment” may come with a defect or two. Every cent of that purchase price is good and the product should be as good! Apparently the Casita names stands for you bought it, it’s your problem!
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #100

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
I wouldn't be so quick to bad mouth a good company over minor defects. As already mentioned, stick built trailers are totally atrocious when it comes to initial quality. One complaint about Forest River I have read in a different forum is there was a two inch hole in the floor hidden by the linoleum that when exposed went straight through looking down on a holding tank when the flooring was cut away. That is major in my book. The owners didn't discover it until they cleaned the floor for the first time.

We bought our 2010 SD and drove from Seattle to Rice Texas to pick it up. We casually inspected our Casita during our walk through and found no faults worth talking about. I know, everybody's level of perfection is different. But here me out, we bought ours to use for camping trips and lots of them. Sometimes camping on rainy days in the Pacific NW in the mud with fir needles sticking to your feet and puddles everywhere, etc. I am sure there were marks and abrasions visible to a casual inspection after our first few trips.

Before the warranty on ours ran out, the cushion's beading along the edges began to fray. I expected a runaround. Not so. Casita sent new ones and we returned the old ones. They were very accommodating. I have found them to go above and beyond every time we called them for help.

This year I needed to replace some decals that were ruined by our detailer who used a pressure washer on our Casita unbeknownst to us. I promptly received new ones from Casita, but when I went to install them this summer, it looked like we got the wrong ones. Not so, I learned. All you do is cut them apart and piece them onto the Casita. Much easier that way! Anyway, Austin and I played phone tag, so they sent me an email as follow-up with detailed instructions to make sure I got the answer I needed. It seemed like great service to me!

Word to the wise here: I would be careful what you wish for. If you take your Casita in for service at an RV dealer, you may well be without if for weeks just for minor repairs. I found this out when I called around for a bearing repack and a diagnosis of our broken A/C last spring which would have taken what, about 2 hours work. Every dealer I spoke with said bring it in, but we will get to it when we can. All of them said they might have it for a couple weeks and more in one case.
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita