Casita Factory Defects Disappointments! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Paying extra to jump to the head of the line. Not a practice I like to see. But then I'm not a big fan of campground reservations either. Also if they're so busy how do they "sqeeze" you in?
Pay money to skip the lines at amusement parks. Pay money to get a “A” boarding pass on Southwest. Pay money for express shipping. The list goes on and on.

Meanwhile if you choose not to pay, everything takes even longer. Recently it took USPS 14 days to deliver a simple first class envelope containing a replacement credit card. (And they say they’re going to slow down even more…) Thinking the card was lost, the bank sent another by FedEx, and it arrived two days before the first.

Rant over. Deep breaths.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #42

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Paying extra to jump to the head of the line. Not a practice I like to see. But then I'm not a big fan of campground reservations either. Also if they're so busy how do they "sqeeze" you in?
Totally agree with you about everything, including campground reservations. I don’t know where I’m going to be in two weeks so forget about 3-6 months in advance. Camping is not about families and love of outdoors anymore. It’s about 100% making money, which is exactly so many CG are going to 100% reservation only. I think it’s highly discriminatory myself. I have stopped camping in state parks almost everywhere these days. All the “add-on” costs are also ridiculous. I’m at BLM/NFS/COE campgrounds these days. I fired off an email to Oregon SP system, and of course heard nothing back. A family that gets an unexpected few days off are no longer able to get into a State Park. All full, even though sites are empty. I had a convo with a camper who reserved all over the country, and their “method” was so I scrupulous, I was disgusted. Reserving sites beside their main site, reserving without intention of showing up, or reserving other sites beside them to ensure “privacy.” The on line reservation systems are subject to abuse by those who have money to burn and a regular schedule. I am a full timer and it makes me sad to see all the negative changes in camping the past 18 months. So many BLM/NFS now closed and no longer accessible because of campers leaving a mess all over, etc.. Hoping the next year or two things will calm down but I’m not holding my breath. 😢
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #43
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In Montana, a COE campground had a spot marked on the ground where you could get cell phone reception to make your reservation. A fellow came around to check on things. I asked him what people did whose phone didn't work. He was not allowed to take payment. He was told to tell people to go into town and buy a throw away cell. At an NFS campground in the Alleghenies they installed a pay phone so people could make reservations. The Outer Banks campgrounds went reservation only last year arguing it benefits campers. Yup.....
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:11 AM   #44
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
To the OP: In 2010 I took delivery of a new Trillium. The belly band had multiple leaks. The door had to be reset because the hinges were not installed properly. None of the internal fiberglass pieces were set correctly. The tires were 3 years old. And on and on. Fixed all that could be fixed on my nickel. Eleven years and 85k miles later you couldn't buy my camper at any price.

They did a poor job. It stinks. Fix it and go make memories.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #45

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
With record high RV production and sales, and few if any campsites being added during this time, the crunch is pretty obvious. I tend to make reservations at my designations on trips, and go seat of the pants otherwise. So far it has worked.

+10 I too find it irritating to see sites reserved and paid for, with no occupants.

National Park camping remains a great deal. Some state parks add so many fees, that they are no longer the deal they used to be.

Paying to avoid long waits is really common in the car business right now. I faced a choice on a new car purchase, pay $15,000 dealer premium over MSRP and get the car NOW, or order at MSRP, from a dealer not in my area, and wait 20 weeks. I picked the latter.

Some people are paying these dealer premiums and financing the car.

Stayed at an Iowa SP three weeks ago, we were the only ones there. Reasonable/low price, no extra fees either. Thank you Iowa. Later on that trip, we stayed at a city run campground in Douglas, Wyoming that was FREE. Can't beat that price.
Yes, FREE is almost always great and I have found a few gems. Most are not 7 day limit instead of the 14 they were in the “before times.” 😉

I had plans this year to sell my campervan (with my fiberglass camper top) and upgrade to an 3500 HD dually and either a Northern Lite or Bigfoot truck camper. This was going to be my retirement gift to myself. But nope, not going to happen! And like you, I’m not paying X amount of dollars to go to the head of the line. According to what I’ve read, it’s not just chip issues that have the auto industry in a bind, but all kinds of items not being supplied. I heard an estimate that in 2024 these supply issues “might” be resolved…🤦🏻*♀️
Old 10-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #46

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
Totally agree with you about everything, including campground reservations. I don’t know where I’m going to be in two weeks so forget about 3-6 months in advance. ..
And I feel 180 degrees from you.. If I am going to the trouble of preparing for a trip, driving maybe days, etc. then I D*** WELL want to know that I have a site when I arrive tired and ready for a break.... Especially when I want one of the better sites (such as waterfront) which is in short supply. But thats an east coast outlook, driven by the high demand and low supply. My plans might not always work out but that is what cancelation is for (it usually entails a small charge that wont break the bank or make me flinch at all). Two years ago I did a trip with 14 separate and consecutive camping reservations (with one hotel reservation while Scamp had a furnace installed). I added a few days here and there in case of delays. I did all this so that I could be a few places on specific days and have decent sites at all the places.. and it worked perfectly. Failure to plan is planning to fail
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #47

North Carolina
Quote:
..According to what I’ve read, it’s not just chip issues that have the auto industry in a bind, but all kinds of items not being supplied. I heard an estimate that in 2024 these supply issues “might” be resolved…🤦🏻*♀️
I was talking with a purchasing agent yesterday and he was telling me it was near impossible to get most paper based products, and what was available was being bought up by other PAs at greatly inflated prices.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #48

Florida
Haha! This is exactly what I’m talking about. “A failure to plan is planning to fail.” Your way or the highway, as long as you get your spot? Many people travel this way, in case that’s new to you. Sorry, I’m a travel RN and I deserve equal treatment and just because I don’t get my fluctuating schedule even 2 weeks in advance most of the time, I don’t deserve to be excluded. So thanks for your comments, taking only your own needs in into account, and preserving campground sites only for people who are like you. Campgrounds USED to be 50/50, half reservable and half first come first serve so EVERYONE has equal opportunity to enjoy camping. Have a nice day…
Old 10-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #49

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Name Correction and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
I assume that your sales person was Darla.
Name correction. It was Carla not Darla. My sincere apologies. I think senility must be setting in.

The pandemic has stressed us all. That includes Casita. It is sad that they are not maintaining good customer service. But I agree with a lot of comments that were made in this thread that point out the bottom line is that use and enjoyment of your new trailer far outweighs a few minor cosmetic flaws.

Granted, those flaws should not have been there. However, in the end, it is less costly and time consuming to resolve those cosmetic details yourself. Also a lot less stress.

Considering the paint flaw around the one knob, it appears that during manufacturing, they probably had a problem installing the knob. Resulting in a repair and thus the area around the knob is not properly painted. Definitely bad QA on Casita's part.

The cosmetic flaws are something that should have been noticed and addressed when taking delivery on the trailer. Now, the quickest and easiest way to resolve those cosmetic problems is to acquire a can spray paint, remove the door and its hardware, give it a new coat. Allow it to dry and reinstall the door and hardware. If not spray paint, a pint from Lowe's or Home Depot where you take the door in and they mix a pint of gray to exactly match the current gray in the trailer. Or maybe Casita will send you a pint of paint. Another option is for Casita to give you the source, brand name, and specific color they are using. Use a roller. Job done.

Now get out and enjoy camping in your new fiberglass trailer. That is why you bought it, I assume. That is where the real fun is. It is the pure enjoyment of just getting away from all of the stress, phone calls, TV, computers, traffic, etc. Grab your wife and take your new Casita someplace really special and make some lasting memories. There are many photos on this site showing members doing just that. It is awesome! The feeling is exhilarating, relaxing, and generally stress free. You will feel like a whole new person afterwards. At least that is how it works for me.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:46 PM   #50

North Carolina
Quote:
Haha! This is exactly what I’m talking about. “A failure to plan is planning to fail.” Your way or the highway, as long as you get your spot? Many people travel this way, in case that’s new to you. Sorry, I’m a travel RN and I deserve equal treatment and just because I don’t get my fluctuating schedule even 2 weeks in advance most of the time, I don’t deserve to be excluded. So thanks for your comments, taking only your own needs in into account, and preserving campground sites only for people who are like you. Campgrounds USED to be 50/50, half reservable and half first come first serve so EVERYONE has equal opportunity to enjoy camping. Have a nice day…
I'll grant you that a traveling RN should get priority.. but the rest of your rant is way off. First, as long as the rules are the same then you are getting equal treatment.. its just equal treatment that does not work for you as well as it works for me. Its still the same and you are not excluded. And when campgrounds fill up (as they do on this side of the country) then everyone who is just showing up without a reservation does have a 50-50 chance..no, actually more like a 80-20, or 90-10 percent chance of not getting a site at all and needing to hit the road and hope to luck out somewhere else. And failing that.. spend the night at Walmart and join the rat race to get a site the next day. Does that work better for a traveling RN? Under your plan everyone does have an equal opportunity to NOT enjoy camping because they can't get a place to park the camper.

A number of sites are reserved for disabled people and campground volunteers. The same thing could be done for medical staff or other support staff. But requiring large numbers of non-reservable sites that only a few will require will leave state and federally funded parks underutilized and private campground losing money. But as long as you can get your site....
Old 10-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #51

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I'll grant you that a traveling RN should get priority.. but the rest of your rant is way off. First, as long as the rules are the same then you are getting equal treatment.. its just equal treatment that does not work for you as well as it works for me. Its still the same and you are not excluded. And when campgrounds fill up (as they do on this side of the country) then everyone who is just showing up without a reservation does have a 50-50 chance..no, actually more like a 80-20, or 90-10 percent chance of not getting a site at all and needing to hit the road and hope to luck out somewhere else. And failing that.. spend the night at Walmart and join the rat race to get a site the next day. Does that work better for a traveling RN? Under your plan everyone does have an equal opportunity to NOT enjoy camping because they can't get a place to park the camper.

A number of sites are reserved for disabled people and campground volunteers. The same thing could be done for medical staff or other support staff. But requiring large numbers of non-reservable sites that only a few will require will leave state and federally funded parks underutilized and private campground losing money. But as long as you can get your site....
I’m not asking to be “Priority” anything. I’m asking for equal opportunity, which you obviously don’t understand. I’ll leave it there. Enjoy your camper.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #52

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Overnighting at Walmart

Quote:
And failing that.. spend the night at Walmart and join the rat race to get a site the next day.
My understanding was that Walmart used to allow over night camping in their parking lots with the approval of the store manager. Didn't Walmart recently change their policy globally to no longer allow over night stays in their parking lots?
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #53

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I also hate having to commit to making reservations 9 months in advance anywhere you want to go anymore. And forget about getting a handicap site on the west coast too! I am, and qualify for a handicap site, but they no longer even make you show up in person at the Ranger Station to get one like they used to. They sell them off on-line just like any other site in the parks. At my age and in my health, I don't even buy green bananas! What they've done over the past few years to the parks really sucks! It's all about greed, plain and simple.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #54

North Carolina
Quote:
I’m not asking to be “Priority” anything. I’m asking for equal opportunity, which you obviously don’t understand. I’ll leave it there. Enjoy your camper.
You have the same opportunity as everyone else. It is your situation that makes that opportunity less convenient for you. By asking for sites to be left open for you to just show up and occupy means that the site is not available for all the people who cannot just show up and be first in line. I see your viewpoint.. I worked in public service for 30 years and scheduling vacations was never easy but that was not unfair to me.. it was my situation and I did the best I could. It is still hard to reserve many places and if it were a free for all it would be impossible to plan a vacation. So I am sorry if you can't see the other side of the coin.

Re Walmarts.. IDK.. last I heard it was still by store or region. But I would do anything to avoid an overnight at a Walmart - too dangerous. In fact there was just a shooting at a Walmart not far from me a few days ago.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #55

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
.. It's all about greed, plain and simple.
As far as the reservation policy.. I am fully convinced that it is not about greed.. it is about trying to manage the heavy demand in a mostly equitable way. While its hard for some people to plan ahead, the fact that a site becomes available to everyone everywhere and all at the same time is an attempt at fairness.

Of course Fort De Soto in FL holds back some sites for the residents of the county. Is that fair? Probably is since they pay taxes there. But it sure leave me with in un-equal chance to get a site there. Should I get upset about that? And then there is the dog restricted area.. how unfair !
Old 10-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #56

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
My understanding was that Walmart used to allow over night camping in their parking lots with the approval of the store manager. Didn't Walmart recently change their policy globally to no longer allow over night stays in their parking lots?
Wal-mart stores are usually situated on city property. Many cities have now mandated no overnight parking in wal-mart, cabela’s, Cracker Barrel, etc. I don’t think Walmart and other retailers are a fan of this because they lose money. But, since they are on city property, they don’t have any recourse.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #57

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
No big secret here.
Huge demand. Limited and stagnant supply.

Can anyone think of a federal, state or municipal campground that’s been built within
the last five years? None come to mind.

How about a private campground? Can’t think of one of those either.

And it’s not going to get any better any time soon.

And with the advent of all the different free camping apps., even the boondocking sites are crowded.

Glad we started 20 years ago.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEd View Post
Can anyone think of a federal, state or municipal campground that’s been built within
the last five years? None come to mind.
From BC Gov News:
Camping enthusiasts will now have more options for enjoying the great outdoors as 594 new campsites are being added to BC Parks and recreation sites throughout the province.
Ranging from walk-in tent sites to marine sites, 13 provincial parks will have 362 new sites and 12 recreation sites will have 232 new sites. The new BC Parks campsites are located in regions with the highest demand – the Lower Mainland, Thompson-Okanagan, Kootenay Rockies and Mount Robson.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #59

North Carolina
Quote:
Wal-mart stores are usually situated on city property. ...
Thats interesting.. taxpayers subsiding Walmart perhaps? It sure is not the case that Walmarts are on city property around here but IDK about Florida.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #60

Florida
Quote:
Thats interesting.. taxpayers subsiding Walmart perhaps? It sure is not the case that Walmarts are on city property around here but IDK about Florida.
FYI: https://www.walmartlocator.com/no-park-walmarts/

Tags
casita