Casita Factory Defects Disappointments! - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #101

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
Do not use the foam roller approach to fix that paint. It wont be a smooth finish like the sprayed parts. Take the paint from casita or go to paint shop with the door for a color match. Then pay a few bucks to a shop to spray the door. Sen$ the bill to casita for a refund.
StevenMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #102

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Factory Defects

From what I read the defect list is mostly cosmetic. It also reflects the state of the RV industry of late with camping becoming a popular pandemic escape. I would be pissed if there was an electrical short or a water line not secured etc.

Like one here said, fix the cosmetics and go camping, you will feel a lot better after one trip and much better after a season.

That said, after I took possession of my now 22 year old Casita I noted the doors and hatch covers were de-laminating from water and water vapor. Also that they contribute a lot of weight so I replaced all but the closet door (I'll get to that one eventually) saving about 60#. You don't have to be a cabinet maker to do that. Modifications are part of the Casita experience and a good rally or two will give you a lot of good ideas. If a new one with gray doors were my trailer I would be all over them with painter's tape and bringing in some color to my away from home life. To me the new ones are drab, but it is your call.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:38 AM   #103

Name: Kenneth
CA
Normalizing poor performance

I think it's funny and a little sad to see how we've normalized and accept abysmal product qualify and customer service. I'm not sure how many decades ago this mindset started. A lot of owners on the forum note Casita's build quality and lack of service are just the norm in the RV industry. I don't know a ton about the RV business, but I agree with one of the comments that manufacturers will put out the junkiest product we are willing to accept. The last RV I purchased (a Thor motorhome) started falling apart the day I took it home from the dealer. I blame myself in that I was grossly inexperienced in what to look for construction wise in an RV. It took me about a year to begin to see and figure out just how shoddy a product I had. I fixed everything I could myself in order to keep camping (loose walls, poor caulking, broken drawers, leaky pipes, broken valves, etc.) and avoid going in for warranty service. Thank the Lord I was able to finally unload my RV pretty easy and not lose my shirt during the current run on RVs.

On the other hand, even though it was a rushed pickup process, I was able to look a lot more closely at my Casita when I picked it up. I stayed nearby in Corsicana and tested everything in the trailer (fridge, stove, hot water heater, AC, fresh water tank, toilet, showers, and TV. The only thing that didn't work was the TV! I called Casita the next morning and showed up as they opened. It was Saturday and the one sales person there couldn't get into the assembly area, so we took the TV out of a model and traded it for mine. After the TV trade out, I took my Casita on a 35-day cross-country trip and back to California. Everything worked in my Casita. Nothing jiggled loose, vibrated, broke, came unscrewed, or fell off for the whole 8000-mile trip. I'm convinced the simplicity and solid construction of the Casita contributes greatly to the quality. Comparing the Casita to my previous Thor RV was like night and day in terms of basic quality.

I think it's unfortunate you can pay $32 thousand dollars for a brand new Casita and they won't ship you a new $10 pressed wood door. That's a sad testament to Casita's customer care. There is a lot of room to improve, but I'm pretty sure they are not really interested. I'm pretty sure if you spent $32 thousand on a new Honda Accord it would be exceedingly difficult to find any imperfections and if something was broke or unpainted, they would quickly make it right. Two dramatically different business philosophies.

I agree with other commentators in saying don't sweat the small stuff (cosmetic flaws). Fix them yourself and get back to enjoying this great little camper. Learn everything you can about fixing your trailer and try to fix things yourself (you'll do more camping and less waiting at the service center).
elvisslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #104

Name: David
Trailer: 2008 OutBack 13ft., Camp Inn 560
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSixtyIcon View Post
Hello from Missouri

I am new to the forum because we just picked up our new 2022 Spirit Deluxe in Rice, TX on 9/27/21.

We were glad to get it within 30 days by paying a 3k premium instead of the 12-18 month waiting list.

The day finally arrived and away I went on a 1300+ mile trip to pick it up!!

The funds for this were from my father that passed away earlier this year or we could have never afforded to get this! Thank You Dad!!

When i arrived there were several that were picking there's up also, but with limitations because of the COVID. Finally my appointment arrived and i spent most of the time learning about the Anderson on how to hook and unhook it, I took a brief look inside and after it was hooked up and tested and all the paper wotk was done away i went to get back home...

When i arrived the next day my wife went inside and was checking it out and noticed a few flaws - some major so i thought i should contact them about the defects since it had a warranty and i had just gave then a check for $32,000 a few days since i had got it. no worries...

I learn different - So once we were gone your sales rep that took our payment, did all the legal stuff and communications since our first contact cannot help on taking care of anything- they pass you off to the parts guy Tyler that i barely met while there.

- The paint on the microwave door was not completed/unfinished
- Paint smear on carpet wall liner
- Kitchen Drawer 1/2 unfinished on edges- sloppy work
- Scaly dirt embedded in the finish on the back of bathroom door

Here is the response when i told them and sent photos -

Sales Manager - Sorry about that - I will see what i can do, but no promises - I waited 4 hours for her to call back aft asking what they were going to do?

- The parts guy told me that were not doing to send me a new door - only paint that i was going to take the door off sand it - go buy a foam roller - part it yourself and the reInstall - I told him that's not satisfactory ! I bought a new camper and I wanted it fixed, he replied, sorry this is where casita stands on the defect sorry!

so i called my rep and all she could do was apologize and said there was nothin she could do.

I am not happy but i guess i will fix it myself and cuss Casita while I'm doing it!

So there going to spend money one sending me paint so i asked - i will pay to send you the defective door and you send me a good one in return - denied!

Sad but True. Hate being a stinker about this but i was shocked that the defect was not something Casita was interested in making me happy about! I guess i could call the Attorney General in Texas and file a consumer complaint- Shame on you Casita for doing this to US!!
Sorry for your problems with quality.
But what I don't understand, is Casita moving people that are willing to pay a premium to have their trailer built faster to the front of the line ahead of people that have put an order first but not paid a premium? If that is the case shame on Casita, that is one shi-ty way of doing business.
David O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #105

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
^^^^I think someone above explained that wasn't what happened.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:15 PM   #106

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Faults on new T.T. or anything now.

OMG the "small" things I missed on my Scamp check out. The first time I used the water tank, during it's install they broke it at the wall most of the water went down the wall on the floor. My first sign was water dumping out the door. The morning I was heading out to a no water available camp ground due to winter. Was I mad at Scamp a little but mainly with myself. Sorry for your painful experience with shoddy workmanship but if you use it enough it will fade to the opps you make on it. At least it has for me.

Part #2 of before post: Heck my Scamp is now needing a refreshing and add on's almost 11 years of full time use. Do I remember all of the faults and "worts" some of them. But damn this CV-19 crap has jumped everything to stupid and wow I'm glad I got my Scamp in 2010, I looked into Casita but didn't work for me to short ceiling (not that Scamp is much more) I bought to fit my T. Vehicle and needs.

Well this thread has enough forks in it. Now on one of the forks. Reservation for camp sites yay or nay I got in on a "Campground club" like a time share but luckily I did so with a exit if it wasn't for me. Well it had a reservation system and other "perks" B.S. Everytime I tried to schedule "they was booked up" then I learned to just show up most of the time it was at best 1/3 occupied. Needlessly I took the exit. Now many times now I'm just "rolling light" camping. Hammock or Tent-Cot short weekend trips up to a week. It's been a lot easier to find a camp site. A few that I've been at have been hidden gems this year of no cost and boondocking. I'll rate one that I do like is Natchez Trace in MS. Avoid the TN one!!! A Walmart in Chicago would be about as safe as it was. But the park was good in daylight.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #107

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you bought a camper with an awning you should know that it is pop riveted on and any wind will blow it off and Casita will not warranty that either.
The awning is only installed to run the price up. not to actually use as it is not fastened well enough to not fall off.
It seems that Casita has forgotten all about build quality and customer service.
In the current times of high demand and their business model of keeping their number of employees below the limit that would require that the provide any benefits to them as well means that they don't need to do much of anything the right way.
Until the customer demands quality you will get just what they give you. As long as there is a backlog the customer comes last.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:10 AM   #108

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
If you bought a camper with an awning you should know that it is pop riveted on and any wind will blow it off and Casita will not warranty that either.
The awning is only installed to run the price up. not to actually use as it is not fastened well enough to not fall off.
It seems that Casita has forgotten all about build quality and customer service.
In the current times of high demand and their business model of keeping their number of employees below the limit that would require that the provide any benefits to them as well means that they don't need to do much of anything the right way.
Until the customer demands quality you will get just what they give you. As long as there is a backlog the customer comes last.
This does not seem to be the belief of the casita owners I have met.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #109

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
This does not seem to be the belief of the casita owners I have met.
See the thread on the Casita awning posted here just a short while ago.
Casita verified that the awning should not be used if there is a possibility of any wind.

Casita has just announced a $2000 price increase. I emailed and asked if that included bolting on the awning

Jonathan@casitatraveltrailers.com

I got an answer back saying if left out the wind would blow it off. I guess it is designed to be sacrificial to protect, well nothing.
I can see a wind damaging the awning, but not ripping the thing clean off.
As fragile as these awnings are having it pull off is inconceivable.

Email the guy and let him know what you think.

Jeter Barron
8:14 AM (14 minutes ago)
Jonathan How much more to properly bolt on the awning? https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...-2.html#post79

Jonathan Willis
8:20 AM (9 minutes ago)
to me

I’m not sure what your asking?? It is installed properly but if leave it out when its windy it will get ripped off.

Jeter Barron
8:23 AM (6 minutes ago)
to Jonathan

Look at the pictures. This installation is horrible as the pop rivets are not sufficient for the task and the main thing holding it on is the caulking. As the shell flexes it will work the pop rivets loose as this one did in less than two weeks!
Ask any engineer if this would pass muster. As an engineer (aerospace) I can tell you that this is inadequate by any measure.
--
J.D. Barron

Jeter Barron
8:27 AM (1 minute ago)
to Jonathan

I wonder about the awning fastening fastenings ripping out before the awning is damaged as flimsy as these things are. This is poor design and workmanship and should be corrected ASAP.
You should be ashamed of selling something as poorly designed and executed as this.
--
J.D. Barron

By the way my Scamp installed awning has three bolted on mounting brackets and it has never leaked nor blown off.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:45 AM   #110

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...their business model of keeping their number of employees below the limit that would require that the provide any benefits to them as well...
Casita is the largest manufacturer of molded fiberglass trailers, and according to this source, employs close to a hundred employees (pre-pandemic). They have historically had one of the shortest wait times for new builds, so I'd say that means they are a right-sized company.

I'm not sure what more you think they should be doing. Perhaps one additional person as a final pre-delivery inspector?

Overall they have a good track record at turning out trailers with well above average initial build quality. Not perfect, but very good. The defects listed in the original post are minor and cosmetic. As to the seemingly unsympathetic customer service response, I'd say we only have half the story.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #111

Florida
Both Scamp and Casita keep their number of full time employees below the limit noted here. By the way Scamp and Casita have years long backlogs.

Large employers with 100 or more employees (about 2 percent of employers):
The ACA requires that large employers, defined as those with 100 or more full-time or full time equivalent
(FTE) employees, must offer health insurance or coverage beginning January 1, 2015. This postponed the
requirement by one year from the original date January 1, 2014 and was announced July 2, 2013 and modified
in February 2014, as described below.
 The majority of companies with 100 or more employees already offer “quality health coverage” to their
employees
 2015-16 Action Required: Revised rules phase in the percentage of full-time workers for whom employers
need to offer coverage from 70 percent in 2015 to 95 percent in 2016 and beyond. Employers in this
category that do not meet these standards will make an “employer responsibility payment” for 2015.
 The offered insurance must meet the minimum essential coverage (MEC) requirement, a once a year
determination.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #112

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Casita is the largest manufacturer of molded fiberglass trailers, and according to this source, employs close to a hundred employees (pre-pandemic). They have historically had one of the shortest wait times for new builds, so I'd say that means they are a right-sized company.

I'm not sure what more you think they should be doing. Perhaps one additional person as a final pre-delivery inspector?

Overall they have a good track record at turning out trailers with well above average initial build quality. Not perfect, but very good. The defects listed in the original post are minor and cosmetic. As to the seemingly unsympathetic customer service response, I'd say we only have half the story.

I would say that Casita is very aware of the other half of the story -

Jonathan Willis
to me

I’m not sure what your asking?? It is installed properly but if leave it out when its windy it will get ripped off.

Jeter Barron
to Jonathan

Look at the pictures. This installation is horrible as the pop rivets are not sufficient for the task and the main thing holding it on is the caulking. As the shell flexes it will work the pop rivets loose as this one did in less than two weeks!
Ask any engineer if this would pass muster. As an engineer (aerospace) I can tell you that this is inadequate by any measure.
--
J.D. Barron

Jeter Barron
to Jonathan

I wonder about the awning fastening fastenings ripping out before the awning is damaged as flimsy as these things are. This is poor design and workmanship and should be corrected ASAP.
You should be ashamed of selling something as poorly designed and executed as this.
--
J.D. Barron
Old 10-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #113

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
I would say that Casita is very aware of the other half of the story -

Jonathan Willis
to me

Jeter Barron
to Jonathan

--
J.D. Barron

Jeter Barron
to Jonathan

--
J.D. Barron
I think all RV manufacturers advise to retract the awning in windy conditions. Unless that's your Casita I don't know why you are even contacting the company about it, much less lecturing them. If you are actually planning to buy a Casita, just order it w/o the awning.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #114

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Complaining seems to be a common Covid 19 condition.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #115

Florida
They don't usually fall off at the attachment brackets to the trailer. They might have their arms damaged, but all of the awing fall off without enough wind to damage the arms is crazy.
Having NOTHING left on the trailer is just poor design and execution.
I can understand having an awning damaged in the wind, but not everything attached to the trailer falling off!!!!
Did you look closely at the pictures?
There were a total of 8 pop rivets with no backing "holding" it on.
The big surprise is that it did not come off traveling down the highway.
But if you are happy with that level of quality the more power to you.
However I can attest that Scamp does a better job with three brackets firmly bolted in with backing washers.
If mine came off in the wind there would at least the awning case and the attachment bracket still on the trailer.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #116

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
To me, it looks like the rivets were never set. They will look like a washer on the back side once they are set in place. Those do not look like that at all.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #117

Name: Dave
Trailer: in the process of buying a Casita 17 Liberty Delux
Ohio
I have different factory defects.

I bought my casita in October 2017. I got one of the first 2018 models. From the start cabinet doors would open when driving. This was (is?) a common problem. Casita blamed it on poor latches and gave me numerous replacement latches. However I took pictures of the locks from inside the cabinets when they were latched. I used the tome delay feature on my iPhone. The pictures showed that the latches were mounted too low so that the pop up tab barely contacted the frame. The whole problem for me and numerous others was poor workmanship at the casita factory. I made new doors and replaced the latches and hinges. BTW if you replace hinges get the spring loaded ones. They are much nicer for $1 more.
Dave8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #118

Name: Michelle
Washington
That's a shame. It sounds as if Casita has taken a big dive in service. Not that it was great...when I picked up my 2011, the rep who gave me the walkthrough spent more time telling me where to find the free Bible and not a word about the documentation that came with the trailer. I dislike prosetylizing intensely. Having been on another Casita forum, we were advised after taking possession of the camper to tow it about 45 miles, camp for the night and go thorugh the camper making everything work: hot water heater, shower, etc and if something was wrong, take it back the next day.
While we didn't have problems at the time, in the years since I've found numerous defects, most of them annoying or from sloppy workmanship.

But, I'm sorry to say, it sounds as if Casita has taken a huge step downwards in service.

But I have to say that, learning to fix all the defects in my Casita has taught me a lot and I love my egg. It's perfect for me.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:54 AM   #119

Name: ArizonaEileen
AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Contact the Better Business Bureau and lodge a complaint and in the future check with the BBB B4 purchasing items from companies.

Now, Join Good Sam and see if they will intervene for you. That ate very good at getting companies to do the right thing.
WOW. That's a stunning and totally unnecessary recommendation to report them for this. None of what is described affects the camping-ability of this trailer.

Good Sam? They won't do anything for you when it comes to that. Not their thing.

Eileen
ArizonaEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #120

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
New Casita problems?

Quote:

- The paint on the microwave door was not completed/unfinished
- Paint smear on carpet wall liner
- Kitchen Drawer 1/2 unfinished on edges- sloppy work
- Scaly dirt embedded in the finish on the back of bathroom door

If one has a few tools and carpentry skills a lot can be accomplished by replacing all the doors. My trailer had water damage on the bathroom door and one above the bed in back. I decided to redo all and paint with some color. The main pieces are made from mahogany door skins and framed with rectangular trim. I believe this has reduced the total weight of the trailer by about 60#. I did use some honeycomb plastic inserts for the bathroom door as it was stiffer than the door skins. The added color really perked up the look inside.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00771.JPG   DSC00773.JPG  

JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita