Casita interior height... REALLY? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Definitely looking!
Maryland
Casita interior height... REALLY?

It might be... well... it has been a long time coming, and it'll probably be a while yet 'til I get my trailer, but I'm still looking around the 'Net on a regular basis to see what all is out there. Anyway, it really struck me as beyond odd that all but one of the Casita models have an interior height of 5' 10". When I first saw that months ago (and being 6 feet tall) I couldn't believe it and sent an email to the company to ask why such a low ceiling. I never did get a response. All that to say, does anyone else find it odd that a company would lose out on prospective customers just because of a design like that? I'm actually one of the shorter men in my family so I pictured one of my 6' 5" uncle laughing their butt off when seeing that 5'10" figure.
David in Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:06 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
David, I'm surprised to see that no one has responded. I just went out and measured my '06 SD17 for you. Mine has the factory carpet flooring. I measured just in front of the bathroom door and just in front of the roof AC, both came in at 6' 1".
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Interior height

Well, if you are not going to hold a dance inside, you don't need full head height. Do you have full head height in your car? Eggs are not like stick built campers. The only movement I do in mine is to change places.
I do stand up when I cook, which is seldom. LOL

Good luck in finding your baby.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
David
I am pretty sure that they sell every unit they make and are well aware of the design at Casita.

I also think they sell mostly the 17' models which are the taller ones and this just is not as big a deal in real life as it seems on paper.

I decided for myself that it was well worth the money and effort to get the 17' trailer and have never regretted it at all and mine is the 8th tiny trailer that I have owned too so I have had different layouts and designs from a lot of manufacturers and know what I want and buy that.

Really!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The taller model Casita (17') represents 95% of the company's sales.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Definitely looking!
Maryland
I'm sure they're aware of their specs and can also figure that they sell every unit they make. They do look like quality trailers. But comparing them to the headroom in a car doesn't make sense to me. If all I wanted was a place to sleep, I'd buy a teardrop. I thought part of the joy of owning a camper is being able to move freely around inside. A nice stand up shower, standing at the stove, standing up to change clothes... Unless your car is radically different than any one I've ever seen, people aren't doing those things in a car. I can't imagine buying something that required having to keep my head cocked slightly to one side anytime I stood up. It'd be inevitable that I'd bump my head and that it would get annoying after a while. I also don't agree that eggs are necessarily different than stick builts when it comes to dimensions. I've looked at Scamps, Parkliners, Escapes and Olivers and even their smallest trailers all have interior heights over 6 feet.

OK, so it's obvious that Casitas won't be on my list... but, as I alluded to in the OP, I just can't imagine that I'm the only one crossing them off the list because of the height issue. If they're doing well as they are, it still seems to me that they could be doing "weller" if they'd accomodate taller people.
David in Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We own a Casita 17 and the ceiling height is not an issue
We did look at a 16 ft Casita when at the factory and the ceiling height was an issue . I am 6'1" - 6'2" and the 16 ft felt cramped ,
something was just wrong. Casita and Scamp are not prone to make changes or do customization and at times can be difficult to work with . IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:18 AM   #8

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
ParkLiner's interior height is 6'5'' and it feels incredibly spacious. Tom Bass will be happy to answer any questions for you.
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maryland View Post
I'm sure they're aware of their specs and can also figure that they sell every unit they make. They do look like quality trailers. But comparing them to the headroom in a car doesn't make sense to me. If all I wanted was a place to sleep, I'd buy a teardrop. I thought part of the joy of owning a camper is being able to move freely around inside. A nice stand up shower, standing at the stove, standing up to change clothes... Unless your car is radically different than any one I've ever seen, people aren't doing those things in a car. I can't imagine buying something that required having to keep my head cocked slightly to one side anytime I stood up. It'd be inevitable that I'd bump my head and that it would get annoying after a while. I also don't agree that eggs are necessarily different than stick builts when it comes to dimensions. I've looked at Scamps, Parkliners, Escapes and Olivers and even their smallest trailers all have interior heights over 6 feet.

OK, so it's obvious that Casitas won't be on my list... but, as I alluded to in the OP, I just can't imagine that I'm the only one crossing them off the list because of the height issue. If they're doing well as they are, it still seems to me that they could be doing "weller" if they'd accomodate taller people.
I pretty much agreed with you and again I didn't consider a 16' Casita after spending some time inside them.
But you seem determined that this is the only Casita model too from your comments?
It is by far the least popular model they offer longer than 13' and they make the main model that is tall enough to not feel cramped inside!

I also don't know where you got the comparison to a car inside? They are all a lot roomier than that by far.
I have also been inside a lot of Teardrops and never one that felt as roomy as a 16' Casita,even the T@B that I owned which is like a huge walk-in Tear.

Some people do not mind the trade off in height vs easier drivability and access that the 16' will provide and luckily there are plenty of choices so you can get the one you decide is just right for you but the fact that the 16' Casita might not be for you takes nothing away from it as a good choice for others?

My experience has been that the reduced height os not a huge deal for me but it is a deal anyway and since I can decide which model I am willing to try I didn't need to compromise there and bought a taller version as do most people.

I also recently built a Cargo Trailer into an RV and the extra few inches overhead and complete square box with square corners do indeed make the trailer feel much roomier inside although it is actually smaller than my Casita too!

You just need to get onside some before being too sure how you feel about them.

Scamp were also pretty short inside until they had a factory fire that destroyed the molds they use to make the Egg Shell. So upon rebuilding they retooled and made the newer molds taller inside which is a welcome change for ,oat but also a huge investment for them and only undertaken after the fire forced their hand.

I am glad there are options for everyone.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Three steps and you walk the entire floor length in most of these trailers. When you're inside, you'll spend 95% of your time sitting down or laying down. While cooking or doing the dishes, you are slightly bent at the waist and the neck also. I don't know of anyone that stands in place, perfectly upright and straight. While the ceiling may seem to low to you, what you really need to be concerned about is a big enough, comfortable bed. And that depends on how you sleep.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita interior height... REALLY?

Sorry to hear you're "height-challenged," David!

I hear your frustration. Casita 13s and 16s are old designs that trace their roots to the original Boler 1300, which had an interior height of... guess what?... 5'10"! It was designed for light weight, low towing profile, garageability, and a little stooping for taller people- maybe there weren't so many in the late 60's - was one of the design compromises.

Increasing the height would require new molds, and since the 6'1" Casita 17 was introduced in the 90's, it has become far and away their best seller (only partly because of the height). I guess they just don't sell enough 13s or 16s to justify the expense of redesign for taller buyers. Scamp dominates that market.

The bigger reason the Casita 17s are so popular is the bed width: 54" versus 45" in most Casita and Scamp 13s and 16s. I agree with Donna about the importance of comfortable beds.

You might want to think Parkliner or Escape. Parkliner has a 60" main bed and 6'5" of headroom. Escape is a bit less both ways in their smallest 17' model, but being longer, it has more walk-around room. Scamp deluxe models offer a wider bed, too.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #12

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2014 Trillium 1500 Legend
Maryland
Registry
Depending where you are in Maryland you may want to come check out my 2014 Trillium 1500 to add another one in the mix. PM me if you are interested!
AnnKola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #13

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
One of the reasons we bought the Scamp was because of Casitas advertised height of 5'9" for the 13s and 16s and my husband's height of 6'2". It helps also that we don't care for air conditioning even in the car or house. Although we use the trailer pretty much for sleeping and cooking,he didn't want to be banging his head on the ceiling. Kr
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A taller trailer would be a little heavier and would have more wind resistance when towing. Both issues contribute to using more fuel. Frontal area being the hardest on fuel economy. Just ask anyone with a 17 Bigfoot. Everything in life is a compromise. A ''one size fits all" in most anything is perfect for some, but not everyone. I hope you find a trailer that works out well for you. If headroom is a top priority, other brnds might be a better choice for you.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #15

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Don't give up your search for a Casita 17. There are so many used ones out there. We love our 16' (with bathroom and dinette area) but we are shorter. Just remember - you are camping, not RVing. So your life will be out of doors most of the time. And one writer is right, you lean a bit to do dishes and cook, I think you will be surprised if you give the Casita 17 another look. Good luck.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
According to statistics I found after a brief search, greater than 95% of women are shorter than 5'10' and the average American male is 5'10". That makes something like 75% of the U.S. population can stand up straight in the Casita 16's 5'10". I'm 5'10"(in my stocking feet, when I stand up straight...first thing in the morning).

I generally exit the trailer first thing in the morning with static electricity hair. But then, that's what a hats for, besides covering up my bald spot.

The 16 footer design has been around since at least the 80's. Not a bad starting point to meet 75% of the market. Perhaps somebody decided it was a decent starting point of the height vs. cost tradeoff.

(static electricity hair shown)
Attached Thumbnails
Irwin Corey 3.jpg  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maryland View Post
It might be... well... it has been a long time coming, and it'll probably be a while yet 'til I get my trailer, but I'm still looking around the 'Net on a regular basis to see what all is out there. Anyway, it really struck me as beyond odd that all but one of the Casita models have an interior height of 5' 10". When I first saw that months ago (and being 6 feet tall) I couldn't believe it and sent an email to the company to ask why such a low ceiling. I never did get a response. All that to say, does anyone else find it odd that a company would lose out on prospective customers just because of a design like that? I'm actually one of the shorter men in my family so I pictured one of my 6' 5" uncle laughing their butt off when seeing that 5'10" figure.
This is the height of the 13' Casita. The bigger trailers are taller. This also why I bought a Scamp. I can stand up in my Scamp. I do most of the cooking and like to stand without running head into the ceiling while cooking.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Casita 16 versus Scamp 16.

[QUOTE=David in Maryland;594652]It might be... well... it has been a long time coming, and it'll probably be a while yet 'til I get my trailer, but I'm still looking around the 'Net on a regular basis to see what all is out there. Anyway, it really struck me as beyond odd that all but one of the Casita models have an interior height of 5' 10". When I first saw that months ago (and being 6 feet tall) I couldn't believe it and sent an email to the company to ask why such a low ceiling. I never did get a response. All that to say, does anyone else find it odd that a company would lose out on prospective customers just because of a design like that? I'm actually one of the shorter men in my family so I pictured one of my 6' 5" uncle laughing their butt off when seeing that 5'10" figure.[/QUOTE

I'm 6'1". We used our son's Casita 16 for a year without any real issues however when it came to buying our own fiberglass trailer we bought a Scamp 16 for the extra head room.

That first year we went to a Casita Rally in Texas, just a couple of Scamps, mostly Casitas. Virtually every Casita 16 owner who came in our trailer thought we owned a Scamp 17. The extra height, the wider aisle and the front window gave them all the impression of bigger volume. I've lived in both, discounting the height difference, I found them both to be nice trailers. I do like the Scamp better.

If I owned a Casita 16, I doubt I would trade to get a Scamp. The travel is everything.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #19

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with Mack the tug)
There are a lot of people buying small trailers, like us , where the Casita 16 still gives us 3" of head room.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #20

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
I love my 16SD! With a no AC on the roof, a high lift axle and the raised rear end, it's got the kind of clearance that lets me go on forestry service roads you'd never dare to take a 17'.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita