Casita Newbie Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #1

Name: B
Trailer: Casita
New Mexico
Casita Newbie Questions

Hello all,

I’m excited to be purchasing a used casita. I looked around the forum but had trouble finding a checklist to go through when purchasing a used casita. Any links on a checklist or advice on what to look for to make sure it’s a good trailer?

Also will I need any towing equipment like an anti sway bar or weight distribution hitch for my tow vehicle? It is a 2008 Crewmax Toyota Tundra 4x4 with a 5.7 V8.

I appreciate the guidance. I’ll have more questions
Josecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #2

Name: Bonnie
Massachusetts
Casita details? (size, model, optional equipment)

We (Bonnie and I) have a 17 footer. It was purchased used with a friction type anti-sway bar. I tow with her Audi Q5 2.0 liter. I purchased a weight distributing hitch. I personally recommend both due to our combination of trailer and tow vehicle.
I like the ability to not have tongue weight pushing down behind the rear axle take weight off the steering wheels. The WDH allows that.
We had a deer dart out from the brush on an interstate and run into the side of the truck. I swerved when I realized something large was coming, but the deer still hit the side. I don't think the recovery from my swerve would have been as controlled without an anti-sway device.

Your situation is a bit different. Your tow vehicle is more suited with a longer wheelbase and a perimeter frame. You might not realize a similar benefit from a WDH that we do. I'd still suggest that you seriously consider an anti sway device.

Jon MB

p.s.: No sign of the deer was found when we stopped less than 1/4 mile after to assess any damage. Nothing in the road, no marks on the truck. Mass hallucination for the both of us?
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Towed my 17LD with a Tacoma, wdh only, with no problems. Your Tundra is more than adequate. I've used the Andersen WDH fine with big and small trailers. True test for WDH is how much your tow rear end drops after hooking up the trailer loaded for the road. If your headlights point skyward and oncoming traffic starts blinking lights at you because you're blinding them, you need a WDH. Andersen does both wdh and sway without the heavy spring bars and greasy mess.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:13 PM   #4

Name: AARON
Trailer: Currently Shopping, past FG trailers: 2003 17' Casita SD; 2014 17' Casita SD
Texas
When I had my Casita I bought the A-Z Owners guide from lovemycasita.com. I thought it was great tool in learning everything about the Casita.

I don't remember too many issues with mine. The back window did have a tendency to come open in transit. Check for indications of leaks or water damage. Make sure you open and close every door and test everything so that there are no surprises.
Thundercleese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Not that this site isn't a wealth of information on all things fiberglass
https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/ here us a Casita specific site full of knowledge and experience.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
I tow a Casita 17 FD with a Honda Ridgeline using the friction anti-sway bar that Casita installs. I have never experienced any issues towing, and I am confident that a full-size, 4WD truck like yours would ever need a WD hitch.

Sure, you might need one if you tow with an Audi, or any small vehicle, but that is a totally different story.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
When I picked up my Casita they told me all I needed was an anti-sway bar. They installed it for me. I have towed over 20,000 miles and it works great.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:40 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In the “More” tab, go to the Document Center and look for the Buyer Checklist. Download and print.

I doubt you’ll need a WDH with your Tundra, but as others have said, a friction anti-sway device could help in an emergency maneuver.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #9

Name: CalCop
California
I join in agreement that a WD would be of little value to you.
However, I would suggest you measure the height of you hitch. Most Casita hitches are level at about 20”. You could estimate a 2” drop of your hitch when hooked to the trailer. Of course this would depend on the stiffness of your tow vehicle’s suspension. Ideally you would want your trailer to be close to level when towing.
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
I pull my 2001 SD 17 Casita with a 2019 F150 4x4 without a weight distribution hitch or sway bar but added a Roadmaster Active Suspension and it pulls fine with no issues. The Roadmaster Active Suspension stiffens the rear end when towing and prevents sway.
Excellent addition and something that stays installed 24/7 so nothing to add or remove when hooking up to the trailer.

https://activesuspension.com/pages/ras
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
On buying ANY brand used, I highly recommend clicking on the manufacturers tab, then select the manufacturer you are interested in. There you will find hundreds of threads on a common brand like Casita. Start reading the repair threads. You can quickly become an "expert" on Casitas.

In any financial transaction, the person with the most knowledge, WINS. Be that person!

Many sellers know very little about the possible shortcomings of their brand.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #12

Name: Rick
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
I tow a Casita 17 FD with a Honda Ridgeline using the friction anti-sway bar that Casita installs. I have never experienced any issues towing, and I am confident that a full-size, 4WD truck like yours would ever need a WD hitch.

Sure, you might need one if you tow with an Audi, or any small vehicle, but that is a totally different story.
Did you install a brake controller?
rmcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:46 PM   #13

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Yes, I bought my Casita from the factory, and they suggest and installed a brake controller when we picked the Casita up. So far, the controller seems to work perfectly, with little or no indication that we have a trailer hooked up when braking. Based on that, I would strongly recommend doing what Casita recommends
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita