Casita or Scamp 13 or 16? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #21

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
It has AC, heat strip, and I believe a lot of add ons. You are probably right. It may be better to start small so I can get used to driving a trailer, parking, and setting up.
AmyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #22

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
It has AC, heat strip, and I believe a lot of add ons. You are probably right. It may be better to start small so I can get used to driving a trailer, parking, and setting up.

It will be a great Scamp to learn with and it's quite likely you may end up loving and keeping it.

I do want to add that I can be impulsive with buying. As in, I might buy before I know all that I need to know. That is what I did when I bought my 13' Scamp. It being a 1992, and without many upgrades, I paid $4,000. I felt the risk was somewhat low.

I know I am encouraging you to buy, I just think you'll never know until you get into one and give it a go.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
Yes, by deluxe, I mean with a bathroom. I am not in a hurry, so maybe I can wait for a 16’ to come up. I just had both 13’ versions available so thought maybe I should make a move now. I want to get a trailer by Spring, want a newer model, and prefer to buy in Florida as if the trailer for sale is not as described, I can drive home. I could buy a 13, and use it for a year, then change to a 16 if I think it is too small. I do think I’d like a designated place to sit with a table.
A Casita Patriot Deluxe is comparable to a Scamp13 Standard front bath.
A Scamp13 Deluxe has custom interior cabinets and more...

Here is what my '04 Scamp13D looks like inside...
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  

Eggy-Sue inside 011.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 012.jpg  

DSCF0033.JPG   Pic012.JPG  

Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #24

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The side bath has little head room as the floor is 6" higher than the main floor.
I built my 16' with a front bath that has more headroom.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
Thank you so much for starting this thread! My husband and I are more than 10 years away from retirement but are interested in getting into the fiberglass small RV market before then...so I too am looking at Casita/Scamp 13' options trying to decide if it's worth it to have one of those until we retire and can move up to the 16' option. So much good information/consideration in this thread...I can't thank you all enough for starting and contributing to it!
"Is it worth it?" really depends on your budget. If it doesn't strain your budget, then 100% I think it is WORTH IT! You can start camping now! Who knows, maybe you will love it, maybe its not for you. Why not find out now?

One nice thing with molded FG trailers, you could buy one now, keep it for 10 years, and probably get 80% of what you paid for it back when you sold it. A traditional trailer would LOSE 80% of its value in those same 10 years.

And you never know, your health now may allow you to do stuff that 10 years from now, you won't be able to do. Don't wait! I've had too many friends delay enjoyment until "after I retire" only to either get sick or worse.

We bought our first RV camper (fifth wheel) when we were 26, and heck, I camped as a child in a little Shasta. FG trailers tend to hold their value very well. So get one now, enjoy it, and by the time you retire, you will be seasoned campers and know exactly what you want.

In the world of 13 footers, Scamps are MUCH more common than Casitas.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #26

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
Floyd - Very nice 13! Love your interior.
AmyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp