Casita or Scamp 13 or 16? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
Smile Casita or Scamp 13 or 16?

Hi - I have decided that a 17’ Casita is too heavy, and really too much for my solo camping needs. (Female, mid-50s). I have also decided to get a deluxe camper rather than a standard. (Thanks all for earlier feedback!) I have a chance to get either a 2017 13’ Casita Deluxe, or a 2019 Scamp Deluxe. The Scamp is almost 3k less, and two years newer. Any advice? (Both for sale in FL) My other major concern is if I will regret getting a 13 due to no place to sit if bed is in use. I rarely make my bed at home, so I doubt I’ll do it on the road. I thought about a 16’ Scamp plan 4 due to the higher ceiling and lower weight. (I have not seen a newer model for sale.) I plan on taking extended trips across the country and into Canada, as I am off summers. Buy Casita or Scamp 13, or wait for a 16’ - Casita or Scamp? I have tent camped for years, and am ready to get off the ground! Thanks - Amy
AmyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Oh, that is such a tough decision.
The 13' is so very easy to tow and to move around. If I were a solo traveler I would likely stay with the 13' models. The only drawback to them is having to take down the bed each day if you want the dinette available.

Now to muddy the waters, the 16' Scamp #4 with a side bath and front sofa is really (in my opinion), a great compromise. It has the bath (although small), and a front sofa for the traveler who wants to keep the back dinette as a bed. I have one, but it is a Deluxe version, which in Scamp terms means it has wood cabinetry.

There's also the Scamp layout #6 that has a larger front bath and side dinette which allows you to keep the back dinette as a permanent bed. The kitchen in that one has a little less counter space because the side dinette takes up one side of the wall space.

Get A/C and a heater since it sounds like you might be in some humidity. The heater will help when you travel north.

If you can buy second-hand, you might be able to buy and resell if you decide you've chosen the wrong size/layout and not lose too much of your investment if any.

Best of luck to you and I look forward to reading other comments.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
"Deluxe" is a confusing word. In Casita-speak, it means a wet bath model. In Scamp-speak "deluxe" means it has a custom wood interior (with or without a wet bath).

I assume you're looking at two 13' front wet bath models, Casita and Scamp, both with the usual fiberglass interior? The 13'ers are quite small and the bath takes up a good chunk of space. I'd recommend going to look at both units for sale if it's not too far and see how you feel about the size. That will also allow you to compare the feel and worksmanship between Casita and Scamp.

Just a warning... Scamp has had some recent issues with the new black door hinges cracking in use. Inspect carefully.

Personally, for longer trips I'd give serious consideration to a 16'er. It's nice to be able to have a permanent bed and another place to dine, work, and lounge. I agree with Lisa about the Scamp 16' side bath layout #4. The front sofa makes a nice single bed for a smaller person, leaving the rear dinette free. It also has more galley space.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #4

Florida
Yes, by deluxe, I mean with a bathroom. I am not in a hurry, so maybe I can wait for a 16’ to come up. I just had both 13’ versions available so thought maybe I should make a move now. I want to get a trailer by Spring, want a newer model, and prefer to buy in Florida as if the trailer for sale is not as described, I can drive home. I could buy a 13, and use it for a year, then change to a 16 if I think it is too small. I do think I’d like a designated place to sit with a table.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #5

California
Registry
Here's an example of a 16' Deluxe (birch wood) inside. I am sitting on the sofa up front as I took the photo. In your situation, you'd likely have that table down as a permanent bed.

You could also sleep on the sofa, it's quite roomy. I'm 5'7" and full-figured and I fit fine lying on it...it's cozy, but not uncomfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
View.jpg  
Old 01-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #6

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
I am not in a hurry, so maybe I can wait for a 16’ to come up. I just had both 13’ versions available so thought maybe I should make a move now.
That's what I did, I bought a 13' at first. Two years later I started looking for something with more options so I started looking for something with A/C, and heat and a bathroom when I ran across the Casita and 16' Scamp that I bought.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #7

Florida
Thanks for the picture - that helps!
Old 01-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #8

California
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the picture - that helps!
You're welcome.
On YouTube there are quite a few videos if you use the search option.

A couple Scamping people that come to mind are:
Elsa Rhae
Our Scamp Life
My Scamp Travel Trailer Adventures U.S.A.

Casita people on YouTube:
Willful Wanderer
Bex cat-herder
Old 01-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Just a note about Scamp’s 13’ models. For the last 5 years or so, they’ve offered a “big bed” option In which the dinette is larger but the galley and closet are smaller. It’s popular for couples sharing the bed. For a solo traveler, the standard dinette version has more counter space and storage.

You’re considering a 2019, so I’m wondering whether it has the “big bed” option or not.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #10

Name: Ashley
Trailer: currently shopping
Maryland
Awesome discussion

Thank you so much for starting this thread! My husband and I are more than 10 years away from retirement but are interested in getting into the fiberglass small RV market before then...so I too am looking at Casita/Scamp 13' options trying to decide if it's worth it to have one of those until we retire and can move up to the 16' option. So much good information/consideration in this thread...I can't thank you all enough for starting and contributing to it!
AshleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #11

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Not to muddy the waters, but I can manually move my 13 foot Boler by myself if needed. I wouldn't be able to do that with a 16 foot Scamp. It comes in handy for final positioning or for moving in and out of the garage I store it in.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #12

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I can manually move my 13 foot Boler by myself if needed. I wouldn't be able to do that with a 16 foot Scamp.
I agree with you that the 13' Boler/Scamp are easier to move.

I put a wheel on the jack of my 16' which makes it easier to position, but again, the 13' gets the nod here for portability.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #13

California
Registry
I was noticing on the newer 16' Deluxe Scamp with Layout A, instead of a sofa/bunkbed option at the front that is in my 2008 version, there is now a front dinette. See drawing from Scamp below.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 8.02.10 AM.png  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #14

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
I was noticing on the newer 16' Deluxe Scamp with Layout A, instead of a sofa/bunkbed option at the front that is in my 2008 version, there is now a front dinette. See drawing from Scamp below.
We just toured one like that at a rally in FL last week. Very nice! I like it better than our 16' side dinette model.
We also have friends that purchased the same model, but they asked Scamp to put the bench in the front instead of the two person dinette, which they did.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
The front sofa/bunk is actually an off-menu option on the deluxe layout A, very rare. It normally has the dinette shown on the floorplan. Note that the closet in the front corner means the bed is child-sized. Scamp will delete that closet if requested so the front dinette makes into a full-width bed.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #16

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The front sofa/bunk is actually an off-menu option on the deluxe layout A, very rare.
Oh, I didn't know that.
There are times when I wish it was a front dinette, but other times, I'm glad it's a sofa.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #17

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We just toured one like that at a rally in FL last week. Very nice! I like it better than our 16' side dinette model.
The side dinette model you have has one BIG advantage and that is a much roomier bathroom/shower.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
The side dinette model you have has one BIG advantage and that is a much roomier bathroom/shower.
Yes, it is bigger, but we spend a lot more time in the rest of the camper and very little time in the bath/shower.
Nice that there are so many options though.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #19

Florida
The 13’ Scamp I am considering has the big bed.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #20

California
Registry
Quote:
The 13’ Scamp I am considering has the big bed.
Does it have a furnace and A/C?

If it has a few options, then if I were you, I'd get it. Providing it's not overpriced. I'd throw caution to the wind and get out there and go camping! It will be one way to find out what you really need/want after traveling with it for a while.

Tags
casita, scamp