Casita vs. Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrver View Post
So today I've called both companies and requested a brochure. Until they get here I thought i'd seek out opinions.
The two i'm interested in are Casita Freedom 17 Deluxe & Scamp 16 Deluxe.
Is there any difference in quality of the two? Is one better construct or finished any better than the other?
Thank you for any input
Since you are in Tennessee, why not take a spin over to Hohenwald, TN and check out the Oliver Elite? If you are interested in quaity and finish, the lack of wood in the floor, any possible frame rust, wheel size, insulating value or other issues, you owe it to yourself to have a look. The Elite may not be right for you, but why not have a look?

You might look at both the Casita an the Scamp before you go. Or call Oliver and get some literature. Or just look them up and visit their website.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #22

Name: jerry
Trailer: KZ Sportsman 17RBS
Tennessee
Thank everyone. Escape is on my radar also. Have to look into them further as far as deliver. Oliver is just out of my price range.
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
1] Not waferboard, it is OSB.

2] Not really exposed , it is soaked/coated in polyester resin.

3] They don't rot from below, bad window maintenance is the main cause of all fiberglass trailer floor rot.

6] They don't dry rot... when the wood in a fiberglass trailer deteriorates, it is usually from water infiltration from above, caused by poor window maintenance.
Anyone have link to a good article or guide on what good window maintenance is? I'd be particularly interested in any thing especially relevant to the lower half crank out Hehr windows in a Parkliner.
Thanks.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Routine window maintenance means (1) regular cleaning of the frame, tracks, and drain slots, and (2) periodic R&R with fresh butyl tape every 8-10 years or so. That's pretty standard for almost all window types except the fixed plexiglass windows with rubber gasket seals in a few molded trailers.

Internal seals within the window are dealt with on an as-needed basis- only if there is a leak.

The goal is to catch leaks early. Water may appear at some distance from the source, so a periodic, thorough inspection inside all benches and cabinets around the perimeter of the cabin during a heavy rain is a good practice.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Anyone have link to a good article or guide on what good window maintenance is? I'd be particularly interested in any thing especially relevant to the lower half crank out Hehr windows in a Parkliner.
Thanks.
I dont know if this will help, but it might...

http://www.hehrintl.com/pdf/Hehr%20Service%20Manual.pdf
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Of course you can expect most owners to prefer the one they chose. That's why they chose it, and they are proud to tell you.

I would strongly suggest not buying either one new or used, or any other sight unseen. The factory direct manufacturers will be happy to refer you to an owner, usually nearby. Should you buy, they earn a modest spiff. Attending a rally is another great way.

If you (or relatives) are coming from a tent, a 13 or 16-17' egg trailer might be ideal. If they are used to a Prevost tour bus, maybe not.

There are other less common brands. Happier Camper [you're welcome] Parkliner, Armadillo, Trillium, Escape of course, Bigfoot, Weiscraft, Lil Snoozy, and whoever I forgot. Oh, Oliver, and a new entry, Airstream-Nest.

Due to relative scarcity, most people buying used, view Casitas & Scamps as interchangeable. That about says it.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #27

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
HI! We are outside Knoxville, TN, and have a 2004 layout 4 16' Scamp, if you'd like to come see it.
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #28

Name: jerry
Trailer: KZ Sportsman 17RBS
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyrnfit View Post
HI! We are outside Knoxville, TN, and have a 2004 layout 4 16' Scamp, if you'd like to come see it.
Thank you for nancyrnfit, if I decide on a Scamp I will take you up on that! Thanks again.
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrver View Post
Thank you for nancyrnfit, if I decide on a Scamp I will take you up on that! Thanks again.
Kinda missed the point, huh?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #30

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomE11 View Post
The Scamp 13 I looked at had exposed wood (wafer board) under the trailer. The whole bottom surface was wafer board. The Casita has a fiberglass skin covering the bottom surface of the trailer. Knowing how hard it can be to deal with dry rot in a floor, I decided to pass on Scamps. I am sure that they used exterior glue in the wood, but still...
There are two schools of thought on this. Because the floor is exposed, if it ever gets wet, it has a chance to dry out. And its easier to inspect. The Casita design is more like a bathtub. If the OSB gets wet, it stays wet. And because it is covered top and bottom, you don't see it.

Scamps are lighter in weight, opening up options on tow vehicles. Scamps come with very little standard equipment. This holds the price down, and allows buyers to just pay for the options they want. On the other hand, some of the things you might assume are standard, aren't standard on a Scamp. So review specifications closely and ask the manufacturers directly.

I really consider the two brands to be comparable. Each has advantages.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Routine window maintenance means (1) regular cleaning of the frame, tracks, and drain slots, and (2) periodic R&R with fresh butyl tape every 8-10 years or so. That's pretty standard for almost all window types except the fixed plexiglass windows with rubber gasket seals in a few molded trailers.

Internal seals within the window are dealt with on an as-needed basis- only if there is a leak.

The goal is to catch leaks early. Water may appear at some distance from the source, so a periodic, thorough inspection inside all benches and cabinets around the perimeter of the cabin during a heavy rain is a good practice.
Thanks Jon. I guess fresh tape involves window removal?
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes. The details vary by window type. Many modern radius windows are held in place by a clamp ring on the inside, so it's a 2-person job, one inside and one outside.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #33

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomE11 View Post
OSB is good. I should point out that I was looking as a Scamp that was perhaps 20 years old. The OSB was showing advanced signs of weathering. The frame was rusty, to the point that I would have used navle jelly and Rust-Oleum. The OSB was gray and weathered. I did not see any signs of encapsulation. Gray wood.

Still, the current Scamp may be better, I have not seen one of those.
Water that rots floors comes from leaking windows, not from splashing from the road.

Apparently you've never tried to replace rotted OSB, balsa, or plywood encased in fiberglass. NOT a fun or easy task.

Looking at a Scamp that is twenty years old should tell you that their method is a pretty good long-term solution.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #34

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Scamp
Scamp Vs. Casita

We had a 16’ Scamp for 15 years. Then we switched to the 17’ Casita because the bed was bigger. We love that fact! We also got a different layout. Side dinette and front bathroom (17’ SD) and we love that too. We modified our scamp (side bath, front bunks) for more storage, and now we have grandkids that can use our side bench. We like them both, but things change. I like the flat door and the whole underbelly being fiberglass. It seems like we have less storage, but we carried WAY too much, as I found out when I unloaded the Scamp for resale! We never used a lot of it! Kind of just a different beast, and what options you decide you want.
Deb Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #35

Name: Maurice
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
Registry
Hi: This is my first post as I recently joined forum. The above question and answers are great information and helpful to those of us looking to buy and trying to understand pros and cons of all types of FT brands. My question to all is this: In addition to above info to consider when looking at used FT’s what other major issues/questions should I be concerned with when I make contact with a seller of a used FT? Thanks to all.
akreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hands down...Casita!!!

Most of the responses to the query have to do with features. Have fun exploring the features of both Scamp and Casita....

I think the best answer to the original question is predicated on quality. Casita wins hands down1

I've owed a 13' Scamp, a 16' Scamp and now own a 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe. I was always disappointed in the workmanship on the Scamp. They seemed 'stamped out'. Fasteners missed their anchor[target] during assembly. I just had to do a lot of rebuilding and maintenance on the Scamps. The choice of materials and design were just not to the same standard as Casita. I think there's a lot more pride of workmanship in the Casita.
Robert Reighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #37

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I’m not sure if this has changed in the Scamp, but my friend’s 2010 Scamp has two separate dump valves for the gray and black water, plus they are up under the side of the trailer so she has to get on her knees to pull the valves open, plus move the stinky slinky from valve to valve to dump her tanks. My Casita has one dump valve, where the two pipes come together, I pull a valve for the black, then pull for the gray. I don’t have to climb under either, I can simply bend down to reach the dump valve. We are both early seventies ladies and my friend is going to sell her Scamp because of this issue, getting a Casita.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #38

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD 17'
Michigan
I was also looking at a small travel trailer that could endure years of use and hold its value. By far, enduring northern Michigan weather and holding up to the rigors of bad roads getting to the less populated state forest campgrounds was most important to me. Just like you, but maybe for different reasons, it came down to just Scamps or Casitas since there are few Escapes to be had in this area and Vancover was just too far away to make it practical to buy a new one. Olivers were out of our budget and the others were just too small or we didn't like any of their layouts.

So the wife and I made the drive to Backus, MN to look at the Scamps and we liked what we saw. Fortunately for us, on the way home we met a nice couple that took us through their Casita Spirit Deluxe - the layout we were most interested in. I must say, both makes were pretty much the same with the only differences being cabinet options in the Scamp, underbottom materiel, battery location, fridge size, and weight (not a factor for our TV).

Everyone has their own reasons for purchasing their travel trailer but in the end, the two things that steered us toward a Casita were the slightly larger interior and larger rear window - because we wanted more light and view. So I would encourage you envision how you will tow it, use it, maintain it, and what it might be like to sit inside it through a day of rain. Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference.

IBUPNORTH
ibupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #39

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I owned a 95 Casita and now 2005 Scamp. Both are great trailers but not identical. I agree with early post that you need to see, different models if it all possible. It all depends on how you plan to camp. It is like trying to decide whether to buy a Ford or Chevy. Here are my quick differences to consider.
1. Inside height
2. Gray, Black and fresh water capacity.
3. Weight
4. Floor Plans
5. Appliances
6. Options
7. Tow vehicle needed
addean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #40

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Scamp v Casita

We own a 13' Scamp (post fire). Bought it new & picked it up in Bacus. We have thousands of miles on it & have made numerous modifications / upgrades. It is completely adequate for our travel needs. However, we've had the opportunity to check out numerous Casitas and I think that hands down the Casitas are higher quality. Fit & finish are superior. But they are heavier and cost more. If we had lived closer to Texas than Minnesota, we probably would have ended up with a Casita. My 2 cents worth. Dennis.
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp