Casita vs. Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #1

Name: jerry
Trailer: KZ Sportsman 17RBS
Tennessee
Casita vs. Scamp

So today I've called both companies and requested a brochure. Until they get here I thought i'd seek out opinions.
The two i'm interested in are Casita Freedom 17 Deluxe & Scamp 16 Deluxe.
Is there any difference in quality of the two? Is one better construct or finished any better than the other?
Thank you for any input
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We’ve owned a Scamp 16 and a Casita 17 SD
To me it’s 6 of one and a half dozen of the other
Both served us well and are a worthwhile investment .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Name: jerry
Trailer: KZ Sportsman 17RBS
Tennessee
Thank you Steve
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #4

NW Wisconsin
The main reason we switched from a Scamp to a Casita was that our Scamp had the 44” bed. Scamp has now addressed the issue
Old 06-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tongue weight will be more on the Casita
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
We own a 17 Casita Independence and are truly happy with it, probably wouldn't consider a change to a Scamp because it's too close in size and quality of the Casita, ie., not enough difference, plus Casita is only 91 miles from our home in Ft. Worth, Texas. I thought I read on this forum and from my personal experience that Casita takes around 4 months to get one (from order date) and Scamps around one year, correct me if I'm wrong.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrver View Post
So today I've called both companies and requested a brochure. Until they get here I thought i'd seek out opinions.
The two i'm interested in are Casita Freedom 17 Deluxe & Scamp 16 Deluxe.
Is there any difference in quality of the two? Is one better construct or finished any better than the other?
Thank you for any input
Just call Carla at Casita and she can give you all the answers you need, she was our sales person and was on top of everything. Do expect when talking to Casita to not be very pushy, Casita is very laid back, like most Texans. I see you live in Tennessee, home of OLiver, we will drive there to see the Oliver, why not drive to Texas to see the Casita.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The main reason we switched from a Scamp to a Casita was that our Scamp had the 44” bed. Scamp has now addressed the issue
The only recent change involves the 13' models. Scamp 16's still have a 45" dinette/bed in the standard (fiberglass interior) models and a larger 54" bed in the deluxe (wood interior) models.

As a note, to get a 16' Scamp deluxe side dinette/front bath with a 54" bed and the larger fridge- most similar to a Casita 17D functionally- you have to live with the stove cantilevered over the dinette/bed. That's a non-starter for me, and they don't show it in any of the promotional photos I've seen. This one is from the sale archives.

Name:   S16D1.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:   S16D2.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  19.0 KB

A Casita 17 is quite a bit heavier than a Scamp 16, especially on the tongue. That may tip the scale (pun intended), depending on your preferred tow vehicle. See the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section.

If I were looking for a 54" bed, wet bath, and separate dinette in a 16-17' trailer, I'd personally give serious consideration to an Escape 17B. Price is not that much higher once you factor in the exchange rate, and its layout involves the fewest compromises for me (bed is 52", so a little compromise there). Weight-wise it falls in between a Scamp 16D and Casita 17D, and the tongue weight is a lot more manageable than the Casita.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
While there are many differences, I suggest you see them both in person before you order. Both are solid , quality trailers.

Subjectively I would choose the Scamp16D for several good reasons.
( Over the Escape17 as well)

Objectively, if you are going to tow it... The Scamp wins hands down,and by a wide margin.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
The Scamp 13 I looked at had exposed wood (wafer board) under the trailer. The whole bottom surface was wafer board. The Casita has a fiberglass skin covering the bottom surface of the trailer. Knowing how hard it can be to deal with dry rot in a floor, I decided to pass on Scamps. I am sure that they used exterior glue in the wood, but still...
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #11

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
RE: Scamp or Casita

I chose a Casita because it had 15 inch wheels. Scamp didn't offer that in 2014.
Not sure if the do now.
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomE11 View Post
The Scamp 13 I looked at had exposed wood (wafer board) under the trailer. The whole bottom surface was wafer board. ...
OSB soaked in resin.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #13

Name: Tom
Oregon
OSB is good. I should point out that I was looking as a Scamp that was perhaps 20 years old. The OSB was showing advanced signs of weathering. The frame was rusty, to the point that I would have used navle jelly and Rust-Oleum. The OSB was gray and weathered. I did not see any signs of encapsulation. Gray wood.

Still, the current Scamp may be better, I have not seen one of those.
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #14

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
I wrote a long response but not wishing to offend I deleted it.

Casita by a mile, not even close.

I really recommend you look at both and make your own determination.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #15

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Casita vs Scamp

I live in Houston TX, Casita is about 3 hours from me but I selected a standard 16-ft Scamp SD/FB.

The reason I go for Scamp is:
COST Casita cost was about $4000 more than the Scamp with the same equipment.
WEIGHT Scamp is lighter, cheaper to tow.
BATTERY is located out side the trailer body less chance of a problem.
STORAGE added an outside cargo door in rear street side area for quick access to stuff.
TIRES Scamp factory will not upgrade tires to 14 or 15 inch but this is an easy fix and better tires. Discount Tire installed Goodyear's Endurance tires with new wheel (rims) and all metal valves for about $135 each including balancing.
RESALE both hold there price
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #16

Name: julie
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
I wrote a long response but not wishing to offend I deleted it.

Casita by a mile, not even close.

I really recommend you look at both and make your own determination.
Well, I for one, would like to read your original reply...I have a family member contemplating fiberglass trailers and he would certainly be interested in your analysis.
Like me, he doesn't live close to either factory and fiberglass trailers are hard to come by where we live. He will order sight unseen.
Can you pm me if not wanting to post here?
nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomE11 View Post
The Scamp 13 I looked at had exposed wood (wafer board) under the trailer. The whole bottom surface was wafer board. The Casita has a fiberglass skin covering the bottom surface of the trailer. Knowing how hard it can be to deal with dry rot in a floor, I decided to pass on Scamps. I am sure that they used exterior glue in the wood, but still...
1] Not waferboard, it is OSB.

2] Not really exposed , it is soaked/coated in polyester resin.

3] They don't rot from below, bad window maintenance is the main cause of all fiberglass trailer floor rot.

4] It is a LOT more of a job and a mess to repair encapsulated rot.

5] I have owned many of them with good floors over 30years old and others with minor rot with windows allowed to leak.
My trailer is over14 years old with no rot and over 75000 miles towed.

6] They don't dry rot... when the wood in a fiberglass trailer deteriorates, it is usually from water infiltration from above, caused by poor window maintenance.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #18

NW Wisconsin
My old 1999 Scamp had no signs of floor rot when I sold it in 2013
The rust protection on a Casita frame is no better than my Scamp ( Coat of Paint )
Both needed maintenance
Old 06-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #19

Name: Pete
Georgia
Registry
Some folks have found the 16 ft Scamp a better fit for them than the 16 ft Casita, probably because the added interior head room of the Scamp. The 17 ft Casita is almost as tall inside as the Scamp, and has a few more inches of length to spread out in. Not having any tongue weight restrictions, I went with the 17 ft Casita SD. If I had no budget restrictions, I would probably go with Oliver.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #20

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
My take on the exposed wood of the Scamp floor: To me, it is an advantage.

First, it allows for periodic inspection of the floor for earlier detection of problems, and, second, if a problem does develop, it is much easier to replace a section of the floor in a Scamp.

Casita floors do sometimes rot from plumbing leaks, window leaks, etc. The problem is they are so hidden, that you do not know about the rot until it is very advanced. At least that is the experience I have read about.

From personal experience, I found a small area of floor rot in my '99 Scamp from a prior door leak when I pulled the carpet to replace it with vinyl. It was a fairly simple task, even with my limited construction skills, to replace this small section of floor. The rest of the floor is in very good condition yet. I cannot imagine that I even would have found the soft wood in a Casita, and I'm quite certain the repair would have been much more involved.

This is just my 2 cents worth, and probably fairly priced. :-)
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp