Central California Overnight Stop Recommendations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
We are planning our late winter getaway from Southern Oregon to Southern Arizona.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a stop south of Sacramento, yet north of (say) Bakersfield?

This is a perennial problem for us. Seems that decent overnight stops are rare in these parts of California.

Thanks.

Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Art

I can't answer directly, but you may want to check out RV Park Reviews for what it's worth until someone answers up.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
We are planning our late winter getaway from Southern Oregon to Southern Arizona.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a stop south of Sacramento, yet north of (say) Bakersfield?

This is a perennial problem for us. Seems that decent overnight stops are rare in these parts of California.

Thanks.
For an overnight stop, there is a nice rest area south of Tulare near Tipton. We stopped there for dinner on one trip and would have stayed the night but it was too early.

At the south end of the paved lot (on the southbound side), there is a dirt area with a tree that we used. It's well away from the idling trucks. The CalTrans site says that there is no RV dump there, but there is. (Unless they've closed it recently.)

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I would recommend San Luis Creek just off I-5. The campground overlooks the fore bay, where there are numerous birds as well as a trail along the shore. Go south from Santa Nella on 33, then west on 152. The turnoff for the campground is a right opposite the San Luis Dam. The campground is about 3 miles off 152. There is electricity, a dump station and pit toilets. Showers and flush toilets are available at the other campground just past the south side of the dam. The visitor center is interesting as well.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's a park that another fiberglass camper told me about.

Dos Reis Park and campground. It's about 10 miles south of Stockton west of the town of Lathrop. I'd say it's probably a mile or so west of I-5.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...a/Lathrop.html

I've can not attest to this park, just heard about it. It is on my list of places within 50 to 75 miles in case Lily and I ever need to hitch up and get away with the camper.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have stayed here, Westgate Landing, also a county park. Its EZ access from I-5 or the 99.

Right across the hiway from it is the Stockton Delta KOA. It has full hook ups, where the county park has none.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
First thought is about 70 miles north of Bakersfield is Park Sierra just off of Hwy 41.
It is an Escapee members only park. If you are an Escapee, it only cost $15/night.
This might be too far off I-5 for you though.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
The suggestion about the San Luis Forebay is a good one. If you don't need showers and hook-ups there is a campground on 33 which is "dry" and probably less expensive. Just get off I-5 at 152 and head west. Turn north on 33 (toward Santa Nella) and the entrance will be about 1/4 mile on the left. Farther up I-5, past Sacramento, there are a number of rest stops, most really popular with semi's. The one past Maxwell, Willows (?), has a dump station.

DO NOT stop near Harris Ranch. the air there is so "Farm Fresh" that you can smell it from over 8,000 feet altitude (small plane pilot speaking).

Good trip,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
HI - these are some great suggestions. We've stopped at Col. Allensworth SHP. It's a bit west of Hwy 99; a bit further off the track (to the east) if you're on I-5. Here's a link - very interesting history lesson along with the camping:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=583

Happy trails - L 'n D
Old 10-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #10

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, folks. I will print them out and file them for use on our trip.

Just a couple of comments:

1. We investigated the state park at San Luis reservoir a couple of years ago, and found the toilets to be filthy and windfall from the trees all over the place, so decided against it. Looked like it could and should have been a very nice park at one time---or perhaps during the winter it just isn't maintained. And this was before the Governator started slicing the state parks----. (But I suppose the economic crisis was already in full swing.)

2. We've been to Colonel Allensworth State Park. Fascinating place. Unfortunately, during February things were pretty much closed down, but we did get the story of the place and it was quite interesting. But, as mentioned, it's somewhat off the beaten track.

Thanks again!
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #11

Name: Lex
Trailer: BIOD
Drenyhe
Registry
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, folks. I will print them out and file them for use on our trip.

Just a couple of comments:

1. We investigated the state park at San Luis reservoir a couple of years ago, and found the toilets to be filthy and windfall from the trees all over the place, so decided against it. Looked like it could and should have been a very nice park at one time---or perhaps during the winter it just isn't maintained. And this was before the Governator started slicing the state parks----. (But I suppose the economic crisis was already in full swing.)

2. We've been to Colonel Allensworth State Park. Fascinating place. Unfortunately, during February things were pretty much closed down, but we did get the story of the place and it was quite interesting. But, as mentioned, it's somewhat off the beaten track.

Thanks again!
We kamped at KOA Visalia ( http://koa.com/where/ca/05180/ ). We think it is okay.
We did not like Stockton Delta KOA so much.
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
We have friends with a GINORMOUS 5th wheel - in fact, it may even be bigger...

In any case, they like to go to the Lathrop campround... just off 99 between Stockton and Manteca

http://frenchcamp.com/

We've not STAYED there, but we did stop in and see them while they were spending a weekend there.
Clean, open and nice.

If needed, you can cut over from I-5 to 99 in Stockton, south to the park... from the park south thru Manteca and cut back over to I-5. Both connecter freeways are shot and easy.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The last time I stopped at the Visalia KOA, I was approached by a seedy gentleman offering me a great Meth deal.. right in front of the office.

I left quickly.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #14

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
With or without the meth? hahahaha

Quote:
The last time I stopped at the Visalia KOA, I was approached by a seedy gentleman offering me a great Meth deal.. right in front of the office.

I left quickly.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I got all excited about the French Camp park which has always looked intriguing and one place I always seem to forget about.

Well, when I went on their website and I decided it would be a place I'd forget about. I may not make it down there for a couple of years and by then my 2001 trailer would probably be too old as they have an age discrimination limit.

It is not age that they should be concerned about, it's up keep. But I guess if they didn't have what appears to be a 10 year limit it would be harder to deny people.

For half the price I'll be going over to the Lathrop campground which sounds as though the campground host is very diligent about all the park rules etc. Sounds great to me.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #16

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
I realize this is a really old thread but we had a nice overnight at Club Royal Oak in Kingsburg, CA. It is off 99 and on the Kings River. We were there in Jan. so it was very quiet, but I can imagine in the summer it might be hopping. It had security gates.