"Certified" firewood - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
"Certified" firewood

The local Menards has firewood bundle that is "USDA approved safe for transport". Looks like 8 pieces, kiln dried, 3/4 cubic foot for $3.99. Is it legal/safe to transport this wood? Local wood is often not very dry.
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I don't know if this firewood is OK to transport. Simplify you life and have one less thing to pack. Buy your firewood at or near the campground.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Go to Tractor Supply and purchase the pressed sawdust logs.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Order split firewood from Amazon, delivered to your site??
Old 03-22-2022, 05:13 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Propane
No problem unless you trip over the hose
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:57 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes,, safe for transport within the US, but probably not international borders. Kiln drying is the ticket. Kills the critters.

I can see it would be worth it in some cases. The stuff sold in campgrounds is often poor quality and at $6-8 bundle, not cheap.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:00 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post
The local Menards has firewood bundle that is "USDA approved safe for transport". Looks like 8 pieces, kiln dried, 3/4 cubic foot for $3.99. Is it legal/safe to transport this wood? Local wood is often not very dry.
Local wood often has bugs and if transported to a new area will spread said bugs. The kiln kills the bugs. Many campgrounds have wood that is from the area and not a problem. But kiln dried is easier to light, burns hotter, has less smoke and should not spread bugs. Some camp grounds do not allow wood "carry ins".
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:40 PM   #8

Iowa
Firewood

Bring your 4 lb engineers hammer and three wedges. You can split all you want. I’ll be up in the house watching The Price Is Right.”
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
64F4FA7C-CB0D-4053-8A94-613E2908795D.jpg  
Old 03-22-2022, 09:42 PM   #9

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Go to your local home depot and ask if you can have the lumber scraps.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:05 PM   #10

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
That's just what I look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Bring your 4 lb engineers hammer and three wedges. You can split all you want. I’ll be up in the house watching The Price Is Right.” Iowa Dave
But I got to old (and lazy) to swing a mall. I picked up a cheap wood splitter and use it for the wood on my boondocking lot. Almost all storm damage stuff. There is a lot of money there if I paid for small bundles.
Attached Thumbnails
wood splitter.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:21 AM   #11

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I've checked the campsites we use here in New England and none of them allow you to bring in any wood products. :-( I think it's silly to not allow kiln-dried wood or lumber, but they make the rules, I use the parks.

They say no campfire wood including lumber off cuts are allowed.

So check with your campsite before bringing kiln-dried firewood or lumber so you know you'll be allowed to use it.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:24 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I've checked the campsites we use here in New England and none of them allow you to bring in any wood products. :-( I think it's silly to not allow kiln-dried wood or lumber, but they make the rules, I use the parks.

They say no campfire wood including lumber off cuts are allowed.

So check with your campsite before bringing kiln-dried firewood or lumber so you know you'll be allowed to use it.
Same with the state parks and private campgrounds that we go to in the Northeast. Some allow you to buy campfire wood locally, others you must buy their wood. We have a company near us that makes roof trusses so they have lots of small scrap pieces that they dump in a pile where anyone can take as much as they want. I'll take a 5 gallon bucket or milk crate full to use to start my fires. Only place I ever was asked if I had firewood with me when we checked in was a State Park in Vermont.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:26 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I suppose the issue is they don’t know how it’s been stored since processing or for how long, and what it might have picked up along the way.

I’m wondering now if the USDA label is simply approval for commercial transport from the place of harvest and processing to the point of sale.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #14

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Bring Your Own Firewood on Your Next Camping Trip

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/heat-treated-firewood/
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #15

Iowa
If you’re out on the road camping in the Midwest you’ll see loads of freshly cut logs on about any major highway most days of the week. The firewood question and the rules, guidelines and laws that govern all kinds of wood transport vary greatly state to state, within states(counties) and between managing agencies. There is no uniform policy in our state or in a lot of other states. A few years ago you could transport ash firewood between states to campgrounds if it did not have bark on it. Now this is not allowed. The local purchase is also poorly explained and poorly or not enforced also. Pallet lumber burns great. And it leaves nails all over the place that can be stepped on by park users or driven over with turf mowers, utility vehicles ( used to clean fireplaces) etc. I like a nice wood fire . But smoke, and
odor from the fire is hard on some folks who have respiratory problems. So we have gone mostly to the propane campfire when we are camping. It is disgusting and disappointing to pay for firewood no matter who the seller is, and get wet , uncured, hard to
start, poorly split wood. Real firewood people understand what makes a good wood campfire and sell that product.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-23-2022, 01:42 PM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I heat my home with wood, so having a fire is not that big a deal. Because of Covid I have stayed close to home camping primarily in NFS sites. Where I stay the forest service lets you gather wood. And there are always trees dropped and blocked for safety. You do need a maul to split it. That's one solution to the insect transport problem. Unfortunately fire wood is a revenue source at most campgrounds, typically with inflated prices. If they won't let folks gather fire wood, then if they seriously wish to stop the movement of wood, they should make it not worth transporting.

Years ago we pulled into the NPS campground at Devils Tower. There was a pile of splits with a sign FREE. Good for them
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #17

Iowa
Free firewood

Lake MacBride State Park, eastern Iowa. This corral is usually full in the spring and filled a few times throughout the season. Free and unmonitored. Probably will be history shortly as jackwagon “campers”, load their pickup on the way out or to their next stop. And so it goes
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
F9725AA0-79A7-4D9E-9124-357D61375DFC.jpg  
Old 03-24-2022, 06:13 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I Think it's more about who has the contract to provide local firewood, rather than protecting the environment. Otherwise there would be no rules that not allow kiln dried or "approved" firewood.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #19

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
A side note to you baseball fans. The Northern White Ash tree from the New York/Pennsylvania forests , popular with many professional players, has been almost entirely destroyed by emerald ash borer, an invasive insect species native to Asia and first detected in Michigan in 2002. Before the bat billets leave the mills, they are kiln dried which kills the emerald ash borer insect. In some 20 years, that little Asian insect has almost killed the forests that supply the best wood for baseball bats. The insect is spread by transportation before it gets to the wood mills where it is kiln dried and turned into billets. https://www.inquirer.com/philly/spor...-20180614.html Some of that transportation is from Ash Tree scraps being transported for fire wood.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:34 PM   #20

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
If you try to enter California via I-80 with firewood, it won't go any farther.
That was my experience last spring.
Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote