Chairs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Chairs

We're looking for comfortable chairs to use when travelling. Chuck, editor of RVtravel.net has mentioned Strongback chairs. Anyone have experience with them? Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I like these
Amazon.com: zero gravity chairs
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #3

Michigan
zero gravity chairs

Thanks. We already have two. They're fine for outside but totally inappropriate for use inside our Egg Camper. They take up way too much space.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #4

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Sorry don't have any suggestions for you. Except that two of any folding chair may be too tight for inside an egg. There are some great mods of people adding captain/swivel chairs to their bench seats. Can't find the links though.

Very interested in any feed back from others on the Strongback though...looks like an item i need.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
These chairs might work for you. We have a couple, and they are a quality built chair, though a bit pricey, especially with the leg extensions. I bought them mostly for the size they pack down to (4" BY 6" BY 22"), which stows really nice, and doubles as a luxury item for canoe trips. They are real popular in with motorcycle touring folk.
Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Check out ALPS Chairs. We find them a comfort choice for camping.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The Strongback chairs certainly look much better than the usual folders. I wonder why it took so long for someone to incorporate a curved back like that into a camp chair. It seems worth a try. If there's no shipping break for buying two, why not get just one to start and you can both try it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
EggCamper

Bob and Grace,

Your Egg Camper has a huge internal volume, certainly compared to my Scamp, almost 2 feet wider and a lot taller. It seems it should be possible to have a layout with 2 comfortable chairs.

Every time I go to the Eggcamper site it has not changed one bit since I started looking at it some years ago, a single sterile layout.

Have you ever approached them about a possible solution.

I approached Scamp about a more considered solution and got no response but certainly there is a market for a smallish trailer designed for two travelers wanting a little comfort. Maybe the EggCamper people would be interested.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
My only problem with these chairs is that its hard to read a book in them. They're so comfortable, I just doze right off.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We're looking for comfortable chairs to use when travelling. Chuck, editor of RVtravel.net has mentioned Strongback chairs. Anyone have experience with them? Thanks
There are numerous ways to do this, we have a friend that took 2 of the plastic lawn chairs and cut the legs off, (you know the ones I mean, when you sit in them they feel like the legs collapse), mounted the short (!" high) boat swivels to them and then mounted them to the cabinets, I was surprised they were so comfortable. I had 2 old roll around kitchen chairs and mounted them on the same swivels and here is the way they came out.
Attached Thumbnails
041 (Small).JPG  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #11

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I have a Strongback chair and it is the best camping seat I've ever had. It provides needed support for my ailing back). If my memory is serving me properly I got it at Walmart a couple of years ago. It seems a bit heavier than the basic folding chairs we also have, but lighter than the zero gravity style.

I too am in the group that FGRV manufacturers seem to ignore - thosse of us who want a small, light to tow camper with some thought given to comfort for two! I wonder why they don't come out with one with comfortable seating and a bed that doesn't require one person to climb over the other to get in and out?
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Our solution to seating

Soon after our purchace of a new 5er in 96 we decided that those bench seats werent for us to relax on afetr a days traveling so this is what we did moved fresh water to center under table. Our slogan is "sleeps 8 2 at a time"
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #13

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Laney View Post
Soon after our purchace of a new 5er in 96 we decided that those bench seats werent for us to relax on afetr a days traveling so this is what we did moved fresh water to center under table. Our slogan is "sleeps 8 2 at a time"
Sorry pictures didn't come through
Attached Thumbnails
Finished.jpg  
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #14

Michigan
We've used those office chairs in other trailers but absolutely won't work in an Egg Camper. The dinette seats are molded in as part of one inside wall. Aside from that, there would be no way to use on one side of the dinette even if the water tank was moved because the wheel well is right there taking up space that would be needed for a chair. Will probably give the Strongback a try. We'll either get another if we like it or return it if we don't like it. Thanks all for your responses.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bob, did you see Per Walthinsen's solution. He owns a Burro and the cabinetry is molded in just like your Egg Camper: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...html#post66681
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #16

Michigan
Great idea but we also need something for outdoor use. I ordered two Strongback chairs today. We'll try them out before we head to Texas on Feb 15. If we like them we'll keep them. If we don't like them, we'll return them. I guess we're kinda grasping at straws. This wasn't an issue with our 31 ft Kodiak with two Lane recliners but the Kodiak is going to be sold in the spring. Our typical snowbirding is over. Instead we're going to be in and out from home 2-3 times per winter for about a month at a time. We've had enough of going somewhere warm and parking for three months.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #17

Name: Don
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Michigan
You may want to consider a Coleman Comfortsmart suspension chair. They can be found numerous places and allow one to have his or her feet on the ground/floor, if that is important to you. I use a zero gravity chair for napping or in the trailer the back of a La-Z-Boy for "stadium seating." I call the last one a La-Z-Nette. For a footstool, a tote with a pillow works pretty good.

strander100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #18

Name: Troy
Trailer: Burro 13'
Kentucky
Just for fun.
You could always go with the kingpin chair because when you've got the smallest camper in the campground usually you need the biggest chair...lol This is me sitting in front of my camper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130204_182904.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	55012

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130204_182955.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	55013

You sure get a lot of looks and comments when you're sitting in this in front of one of our little eggs.
Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I use the Ace Hardware version of this for outdoors - very comfortable, and while I rarely use the awning while camping, it is handy for lawn concerts in the sun. I don't believe they still sell it - on their web site is a different version. This one folds into a 4" square rectangle and the awning becomes the carrier.

For the Escape, I've added a West Marine High-Back Seat. Ridiculously expensive like anything related to boats, but very comfortable, adjustable, and will even work well at a picnic table. Since I've set my 4 person dinette up permanently as a bed, I use the chair at the small front table. Much more comfortable than the stock cushions.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #20

Name: Don
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Michigan
Jon,

I looked at that same chair and was almost ready to pull the trigger, but went in another direction. Glad that you are getting good use out of it in your Escape.

Yes, on the expense of items related to nautical vessels. Read another post recently that said B.O.A.T. stands for Bring Out Another Thousand.

That being said, my wife is getting the boat itch, but our kayaks and metal canoe have served our aquatic needs for many years, so I'm sorta dragging my feet on that topic.
strander100 is offline   Reply With Quote