Change my Scamp order? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2017, 11:21 PM   #1

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Change my Scamp order?

Ordered a 13' Scamp last Monday with one Propane tank. Thinking I may change to a 2 tank rack, just in case I want to use 2 tanks later? I have a couple good tanks at home that I use for a stove in the cook shack. Any thoughts for a total RV newby?

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:13 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Mark, not a bad idea to have the dual tank holder with only one tank in it in case you change your mind, provided you do not have a very narrow tongue weight restriction on your tow vehicle. We camp off the grid mostly, and are gone for 4-5 months straight every summer, and use no more than 3/4 of a tank of propane. Most places refill propane tanks along our travels, but have not had to use them. Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
PS, even though we have a Lil Snoozy, which comes as a total electric trailer, I added a propane cook top and furnace to it.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:50 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You would be surprised how long a tank lasts for. I got a 13-foot scamp last year, and I have been on 2 camping trips without electricity. The first trip was a weekend, and the second was a week. I would only use the stove to boil water for coffee. I used the fridge the whole time. Every night on both trips the temp was around 50. I used the furnace every night and set it to 73 (I like warmth).... I still have propane left after in the tank from the original fill. The fridge uses very little. Boiling water once in a while doesn't use much either. Most of my use was the furnace, but it really doesn't take a lot of heat to warm a tiny trailer.

The option is pretty cheap. I did not opt for it since I wanted to keep the tongue weight lower. You can add a two tank setup later. It is a pretty easy install.
brettl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:31 AM   #4

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Mark, If you are going to change your order do it soon. That tank holder is one of the first things they do. The frame is made first and the holder is welded on.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Scamp 13
Vermont
Dual or single tank

Mark,
Our 13 footer is on order and I ordered the dual tank option but am probably going to change it to one tank as our tow vehicle tongue weight is only 175 lbs. An additional tank adds about 38 lbs. If you leave one tank off, the tank hold down which is designed for two tanks will not fit properly. I believe one empty tank still adds about 20 lbs. There is a post on the Scamp Owners site, Dual Tanks on a 13 footer, you might want to read. Good luck with your decision.
Tony
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
You should be aware of the propane heat law which says, if you're using your furnace, the tank will run out in the middle of the night. That happens to me most of the time so I have to get up, go outside and switch tanks. If you decide to use the automatic change over function, you will run out in the middle of the night and have nothing to change to. That's why I never use the automatic change over. If that happens in the summer it's not a big deal but if it happens in the winter as it does to/for me, well then.....

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Here is my $.02: go with the dual tank tray and the switch over regulator. It indicates clearly when it is time to get a refill and you have several days overlap, depending on usage. If you decide to use only one tank, fine, you need to rig some alternate hold down, but that should not be a big deal.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It is easy to upgrade from a stock single-bottle LP bottle holder to a dual-bottle holder. This is the standard dual-bottle setup that Scamp installs, and is installed on 'most any camper with a two-bottle configuration:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Dual-...-p/66-1151.htm

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The dual tank tray sits on top of the frame rails and with long bolts is bolted to the single tank holder cross frame supports (Found on all Scamps.) which hold the single tank between the frame rails. To convert to a single tank you will need a set of single tank hold down straps, a single tank regulator and a little hardware. It's a cheaper to convert from two to one vs. one to two. Just pick up conversion parts when you pick up the trailer and save shipping (Est. about $50.) Also ask for a single tank regulator mounting bracket. (Not listed anywhere on the Scamp site.)
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
If you decide to use the automatic change over function, you will run out in the middle of the night and have nothing to change to.
You have two tanks. One runs out in the middle of the night and it automatically changes over to the full tank. In the morning, you take the empty tank to be filled.
You do have to check the indicator from time to time so that you don't run out of propane in both tanks.
It's sorta like your tow vehicle. You check the gas gauge so you don't run out.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our Casita is set up for two tanks. I downsized to one 7lb tank and replaced the second tank with a 20 pounder with the top cut off. The 20 is used to hold an extra sewer hose. Had to slightly modify the hold down and was able to shorten the cover. We do not cook inside and have never used the furnace. Could have just used a bucket instead of the cut off 20, but I had several 20's on hand and a couple were out of date. I DO NOT RECOMMEND anyone cutting open a propane tank !!! Special conditions were required to do so.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #12

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
extra tank?

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I think I will opt for the 2 tank system, hopefully Scamp will reduce the charge if I don't get the 2nd tank, I do want the regulator that switches one tank to the other. I have no idea how much propane I will use, I have read that the refer works best on propane and plan on using it all the time. We live In northern Calif so heater will be rare, except Cheryl likes it a bit warmer than I.

Will contact Scamp Monday.

Does anyone know when Scamp will actually start production, since there are 8 full months till delivery date?

Best to all, this Sunday and Cheryl's BD

Mark.

P.S. There was a reference to the Scamp owners forum, is this the SOI forum, or a different one?

Also, is there a way I can get an Email to let me know when folks reply to threads I am following?
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
Ordered a 13' Scamp last Monday with one Propane tank. Thinking I may change to a 2 tank rack, just in case I want to use 2 tanks later? I have a couple good tanks at home that I use for a stove in the cook shack. Any thoughts for a total RV newby?

Mark

Would you order one beer? Two is always better than one! lol

Mike
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #14

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
One or Two Propane Tanks...

In the real world of tongue weights, the Scamp 13' with bath, Group 27 battery and one propane tank comes in at 220#. This is with NO personal gear, no air conditioning, no awning.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #15

Vermont
SOI and Scamp forum

They are one in the same!
Old 01-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
In the real world of tongue weights, the Scamp 13' with bath, Group 27 battery and one propane tank comes in at 220#. This is with NO personal gear, no air conditioning, no awning.
While I made the comment without factoring in some of the things you mention, you make me wonder just what you guys are using for a tow vehicle. Does everyone own a 4x4 truck ??
There isn't much out there that tows 3500lbs any more. And since everyone wanted an automatic, that's what you have now?
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #17

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I think I will opt for the 2 tank system, hopefully Scamp will reduce the charge if I don't get the 2nd tank, I do want the regulator that switches one tank to the other. I have no idea how much propane I will use, I have read that the refer works best on propane and plan on using it all the time. We live In northern Calif so heater will be rare, except Cheryl likes it a bit warmer than I.

Does anyone know when Scamp will actually start production, since there are 8 full months till delivery date?

Mark.

P.S. There was a reference to the Scamp owners forum, is this the SOI forum, or a different one?

Also, is there a way I can get an Email to let me know when folks reply to threads I am following?
At the top of the topic you can subscribe to the thread and be notified.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:

Mark.

You can find SOI, Scamp Owners International, at:

SOI Scamp Travel Trailer | Events | Forum | Resources | Scamp Owners International
Old 01-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #19

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
Would you order one beer? Two is always better than one! lol

Mike
I do have a rare stick shift; and I agree completely with ordering two beers, as long as they are both for me!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:41 AM   #20

Vermont
Probably a good idea Paul. I have some concerns with my Subaru Forester tongue weight. Interestingly, my 2010 Forester was rated to tow 2700 lbs. but my 2015 Forester is rated to tow 1500 lbs. Both had/have manual transmissions. If the vehicle can't handle the weight, the next one will have a greater towing capacity. I would prefer dual tanks, because we have always been tent campers, preferring a bit more solitude and the dual tanks would allow more boondocking. We also have a place in northern Vermont, so you might see our Scamp on those country roads. Tony

Tags
scamp