charging ipad and phones - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You didn't mention what you TV was, but those that have additional "Accessory" or "Power" outlets may have them powered ON at all times.

Lacking that, adding an additional under dash "Charging Station" with both a 12VDC outlet and several USB outlets is about a 15 minute job using a inline fuse to connect directly to the battery. About the same as adding one to your trailer.
One like this should do the trick. Get two and put one in your trailer:
12V Cigarette Socket Panel w Dual USB Port for Boat RV Caravan Five Oceans | eBay

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceRinFla View Post
I am getting from the OP he is using the solar panel to directly run equipment, not via a charged house battery? .
Its not likely they are able to run/charge much of anything directly off the solar panel system without a battery attached to store the power the solar panels slowly capture.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #23

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Icebreaker, that is correct. Perhaps I will purchase them before I take off and then do one of two things, ask my brother when I finally hit Tuscan where he lives, if HE can install them, OR....have an electrician do it for me.

Bob, we have an 07 Chevy Silverado. I am going to check that out as well. I feel like I'm getting closer to understanding how this all works....and finding a solution that isn't terribly out of my ability, with a little help from my friends of course.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #24

Both my 2003 GMC Sonoma and my 2003 Chevy Blazer have power outlets below the dash, just right of center, that are HOT at all times. I just went back out and verified. I'm sure you 07 does also and, if not, I am sure that there is an available fuse location in the under hood fuse box you can connect to.

Did you look at the eBay items? I have ordered from the same seller in the past with good results.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #25

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
I think I may be somewhat confused regarding the USB outlets?? I'm pretty well versed on electrical matters, both 120vac & 12vdc, as I've built & rebuilt (& wired) several campers. I've little or no experience with solar but have considered some of the newer 'flexible' panels, especially since we've recently bought a 2001 Casita 17 SD. We own a Honda Eu2000i generator which we carry in our TV, but seldom have to use it. We've gotten along for several years with a Motorola Droid 'X' cell phone & Verizon service. We're thinking of acquiring an iPad or similar. I've seen various devices that 'hook' to a USB port for charging but in looking at the 'cigarette' lighter type adapters in stores, I see some are 'Hi' & some are 'Low', with some combos. Question I have is - what is the difference & which would you use with which devices? Or, can they all be used with any device, with the difference merely lower/higher rates of charge? TIA...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #26

I believe it's only available rate-of-charge. The standards seem to be 1.0 and 2.1 amps. I "think" that there are some fruit named products (Orange?) that use higher numbers on their chargers, but you are right, it primarily means that the lower capacity will just take longer to charge a battery, I'm guessing over night instead of 3 hours etc. But ask the person who owns one....

Old 02-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
In addition to what Bob says regarding charge times I would add that some adapters with two outlets (inlets) will only charge one at a time and some adapters will have a maximum charge rate that would prevent two 2.1 amp devices from achieving their advertised rate.

As Bob states, devices will all throttle down to their slowest (longest) rate when they encounter an unknown and thereby protect the device.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #28

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Thanks, makes sense, even to me...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote