Chat with the inventor of the PLAYPAC - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mary, your question is a good one. While the Playpac was a new patented design it could also be cosidered an indirect decendent of the Boler. The Playpac was the first FGTT produced in the US. The Boler was produced before the Playpac in Canada. As I mentioned in an earlier comment I originally negotiated for the rights to produce the Boler in the US but decided to move ahead with a new design. The terms for the US rights were not to my liking and I felt that being able to offer a private water closet ,later with a shower, and the ability to sleep 6 made the effort to start from scratch worth while. "Happy trails".
Steve

Quote:
Steven (and anybody else who is new here), you may have seen it already, but we have an ongoing topic called Egg History - Boler Descendants, Can You Fill In the Blanks? that you might find interesting. It's 7 pages long, and I only made it through page 3 (for now). Not sure if the Playpac is represented or not, but we need to add it to the timeline.

Or, maybe I misunderstand??? Is the Playpac ineligible for that list because it was a new design? (Aren't all these things Boler descendants?)
steven whysel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #22

Pat, the table top fit across the 2 benches. The bench back rests fitted ontop of the table top (slept 4 very "cozily") There were 2 flip down bunks that were suspended above the side windows for 2 more and then a party was had by all! Happy trails!
Steve

Quote:
Sir, the old brochure said it could be configured to sleep 6. How was that done? No kitchen?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #23

The Playpac is now listed in Wikipedia under the Travel Trailer section (Small travel trailers) I would truly appreciate if someone would post a picture of one next to the column. All of my Literature is in storeage in Florida and I will not return to Fl. until next Spring. Thanks much and "Happy Trails"
Steve
Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Direct link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_trailer
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 1973 Play Pac
Registry
Quote:
Just found this site and soooo happy to see that my dream/reality still lives on. All those PP owners who want to learn more about the PP's conception and birth and share their experiences are welcome.
Wow..this is just what I was wanting. I've never had any info on my Play Pac, where it was made or how many years or anything. Greatly appreciate what you have written so far, can't wait to hear more.
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM0060.JPG  
ricky w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
FYI the PlayPac manual is now listed in the Document Center
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Donna, I didn't know it was a Hitch-Hut from Play Pac. I'd love to have a Play Pac tire cover.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 1973 Playpacand 1988 16 ft Scamp
I'm new to this forum, so hope I'm using it right.

I only got my PP this spring, used it 2-3 times then purchased a 16' Scamp for larger size so I need to sell it the PP. It is in near perfect shape, mostly original interior, even has the moon hubcaps. I have it stored in a carport as it seems to have always been stored.

You may contact me at acharlen at bellsouth dot net or 336-288-9119.

Quote:
Charlene, I'm sure you'll find a buyer soon who will treat my "baby" well. How long have you owned it? What improvements have you done?
Steve
Charlene C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Thanks Donna, I didn't know it was a Hitch-Hut from Play Pac. I'd love to have a Play Pac tire cover.
Thanks actually go to Bonnie, she provided the brochure
Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #30

Ricky, if I was still in business I would buy the rights to your posted picture. What a perfect setting. "Happy trails'
Steve

Quote:
Wow..this is just what I was wanting. I've never had any info on my Play Pac, where it was made or how many years or anything. Greatly appreciate what you have written so far, can't wait to hear more.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Ricky, if I was still in business I would buy the rights to your posted picture. What a perfect setting. "Happy trails'
Steve
Steven, I was wondering why you don't have a Play Pac?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #32

Ricky, my camping days have come and gone but my love for the Playpac and its brethren has never dimmed.
Steve

Quote:
Steven, I was wondering why you don't have a Play Pac?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #33

As I posted earlier I'll slowly tell the story of the rise and fall of the Playpac. We last left off with the successful completion of a full scale prototype(early '71). My next projects involved finding a maufacturer to build them for me as I did not have manufacturing expertise as well as ramping up our marketing effort.
I advertised in the Wall Street Journal for a manufacturer with fiberglass experience. A number of companies responded. It was a curious coincidence that at this time I had just bought a new fiberglass pleasure boat. I was so impressed with its quality that I contacted the builder, Winner Boats in Dickson, TN. I proposed that they build the Playpac under contract which after negotiation an agreement was reached probably in early '71. They approached the construction as they would a new boat model. I loved the idea of using teak for trim. They set up a new assembly line just for the Playpac after building two sets of moulds.The steel frame was contracted out.
While the prototype made its rounds of RV and auto dealer shows signing new dealers in the eastern half of the US, I had 2 salesmen on the road with the first 2 trailers off the assembly line visiting VW and RV dealers from Fl. to NY. It was pretty cool seeing a VW bug and a Ford Pinto pulling the PP with coordinating colors. The pinto was yellow so we had the lower half of the demo PP painted a matching yellow. The demo pulled by the bug had a scene of the Verranzano bridge(NY) and the Narrows water below painted by a local artist on both lower sides of the PP. A prettier site you can't imagine! As a result of our appearance in the early shows and the great press we were getting we started to get write ups in the big RV magazines of the day. At the risk of offending my Boler owner friends, the lines of RV show attendees waitng to enter and view the Playpac were always longer than the lines waiting to see the Boler. To be cont'd
Steve
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #34

Trailer: 1973 Playpacand 1988 16 ft Scamp
Also FYI,

I am the person who scanned the original copy of my PP brochure, retyped it so it was more legible, scanned the pics and then saved all as a .pdf. If there is an interest, I could post the original brochure.

Charlene

"FYI the PlayPac manual is now listed in the Document Center "
Charlene C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Also FYI,

I am the person who scanned the original copy of my PP brochure, retyped it so it was more legible, scanned the pics and then saved all as a .pdf. If there is an interest, I could post the original brochure.

Charlene
Thanks Charlene, I didn't mean to steal your thunder. The PP brochure is a terrific addition to the Document Center and we [b]thank you for your effort
Old 11-04-2008, 06:07 AM   #36

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
I didn't get back on in time to thank Charlene for her brochure work. So I will now. It's exciting to have the opportunity to learn about these rare little PPs.

Bonnie
Old 11-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #37

Trailer: 1986 Cadet
I didn't see is asked anywhere; do you know/have the original molds or know where they are?
Kenny H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #38

Trailer: Boler 1984
Steven
We have owned a 1984 Boler for the last 14 years. This September I got to see Rick Brown's blue PP. This was my first opportunity to view one of your trailers, there aren't too many around here, and I was quite impressed. All the fiberglass trailers have proven themselves to be hardy and timeless. It's fun to share with others in the rebuild and upkeep of these little gems. I'm grateful that you are sharing your memories with us and keep looking forwards to your next post.
Jim
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #39

Registry
Steven I must say you did a great job. My PP is my fav. thing in the whole world. I love the way it looks, the domed sky-lite, the windows that tilt out from the bottom and the huge bed/dinette. I wouldn't want any other camper and knowing it's 1 of only 75 makes it even more special. I will post some pics since most have probably never seen a PP.
Webshots
Attached Thumbnails
RickyPP.jpg  
Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #40

Kenny, The moulds were destroyed in '74

Quote:
I didn't see is asked anywhere; do you know/have the original molds or know where they are?