Cheap Camera for Rear - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Cheap Camera for Rear

Only TODAY on Daily Steals...
Pyle Rear-View Car Back-Up Camera System with 3.5" TFT LCD Monitor and Night Vision

See:

Daily Deals | One Deal A Day | Dailysteals.com | Mobile

$25!

I wouldn't drill out like they show but would make up some strap mount.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd rather not see the guy I cut off as he mouths foul words into the camera!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
OK, I ordered one. Here is to hoping it is a good one. Decent reviews on Amazon.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #4

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
OK, I ordered one. Here is to hoping it is a good one. Decent reviews on Amazon.
Yeh, and for $25, what the heck, eh? Rather than wire it into the backup lights, I've made it an "on all the time" thing.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
OOOHHHHHHH THAT REAR........my bad....
Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #6

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
My husband doesn't need anymore things to watch while driving.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Not going thru no lift decks with no holesaw. If bracket mounted, say to the inside of the lift deck on a SUV and I leave the deck open, would I be able to get the camera far enuf from the hitch ball to reach focus, allowing me to use it to confirm that I've got the hitch directly over the ball. I have those long fiberglass rods with magnets and they've got me down to one gross positioning where I knock over the rod on top of the ball, one trip back to see what's what and the usual squeaky 1 1/2" correction to drop the hitch on the ball, and then usually a trip up front again and just a touch of easing fwd or aft so that the locking hood will drop. Usually easier to accomplish on the flat than on the slope of my driveway where a slight movement fwd in drive has to be "stopped" by brake-on engagement in reverse before going to park. I usually hook up in 4wheel low range except on the level. Anybody think this would be a worthwhile addition to my incredible hitching proficiency? Or another gadget that would end up not working or being in the way?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #8

Minnesota
Registry
Jack... I like it for seeing out behind me when I drive. On those odd times when I actually pass someone, the camera has been a big help.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We have a license plate mounted rear camera that use only when hooking up the trailer. It is wired to be on when the license plate light is on. I can't imagine having this camera on while driving. I'd probably drive off the road or get car sick!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #10

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
We have a license plate mounted rear camera that use only when hooking up the trailer. It is wired to be on when the license plate light is on. I can't imagine having this camera on while driving. I'd probably drive off the road or get car sick!
Ours is on the license plate of the TRAILER not the TV. Trust me... once you start using it you'll wonder how you got along without it. No More Blind Spot! I've got the monitor mounted off-center on the dashboard. It's not a distraction at all.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I'd like to use the camera for both backing up to hitch trailer and then move it to the back of the trailer while driving. Does that sound feasible. How much hassle is it to hook one up on a mostly temporary basis as needed? I see it comes with a 17 foot cable which isnt long enuff.
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
I'd like to use the camera for both backing up to hitch trailer and then move it to the back of the trailer while driving. Does that sound feasible. How much hassle is it to hook one up on a mostly temporary basis as needed? I see it comes with a 17 foot cable which isnt long enuff.
I was thinking the same thing. You can buy extension cables on eBay, so you could have a plug in at the TV bumper and the trailer bumper. You'd need a quick mount for the camera - maybe magnetic?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Most of the designated "hitch assister" camers are pricey at 130<200$+. However, they are wireless and have provision for magnetic grip on tailgates and decks. I think I'll pass. I spend too much time doing the driving for those behind me when I don't have the donkey; given the stopping distance for trailer and tug my wife thinks I shouldn't carry this habit over into towing and I think she's right. Curiosity about cheap junk isn't rewarded with great enuf frequency to make me want to take a chance.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #14

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
No reason to move a camera back and forth. Have the best of both worlds, have a camera on the back of both the tug and trailer. A second camera is dirt cheap, about $15. I bought two cameras and a 7" monitor on ebay for about 50 bucks, delivered to my door.

The key to making it work with two cameras is that little button marked "V1/V2" When hooking up the trailer I select V1, when backing up the trailer, V2.

Finally, it makes hooking up a truly one-person, non-stop effort. Exceeded expectations.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
24-08-2012 7-16-16 PM  001_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #15

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No reason to move a camera back and forth. Have the best of both worlds, have a camera on the back of both the tug and trailer. A second camera is dirt cheap, about $15. I bought two cameras and a 7" monitor on ebay for about 50 bucks, delivered to my door....
That's what I'm planning on doing... just haven't gotten around to the 2nd camera.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I've got a two camera system from Rear View Safety combined with a 5" monitor. Works great for hitching, and as a rear view mirror, but not all that useful for backing into a site - the very wide angle camera makes judging distances difficult. It does let you know if you are going to hit something, but I still use the outside mirrors & "Get Out & Look" for campsites.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Thumbs up

Thank you Gary for the good deal. I also use a backup camera (wireless) on the trailer for full-time rear viewing, but the wireless has a lot of static with poor picture quality. I sure hope this works out much better.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #18

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
I really like the idea of the back-up camera as I'm usually alone.

Ron... What brand did you get, and it is easy to hook up?
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Given the title of this thread, I am very impressed that it has not gone south, like slightly lower then hip level.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #20

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Mary Ann,

I got it off ebay. There were several vendors with the same product. The main reason I choose this type was because of the ability to switch between two cameras with the touch of a button. The V1/V2 button.

I hard wired mine, never a potential problem with interferance or distance. I ran the power source to the little switch by the monitor. I can turn it off and on whenever I want, I don't have to be in reverse. Very handy to "look" behind the trailer on the road to see if anyone's up close and personal and especially if they have any extra colored lights on their vehicle

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote