Cheaper campsites? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #1

Name: carol
Trailer: Scamp fifthwheel19 ft.
Pennsylvania
Cheaper campsites?

I want to go full time camping and exploring the USA I've got a 19 ft Scamp 5th wheel ( 2nd hand) I am retired and one goal is going to the Grand Canyons. I can travel 10 to 12 weeks at a time from PA.Retirement is my only income and I can be very frugal. So if anyone has any helpful hints or ideas they'd like to share would be greatly appreciated. Hope to head out about the end of March or beginning of April 2017.thank y'all.
gypsy elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy elmo View Post
I want to go full time camping and exploring the USA I've got a 19 ft Scamp 5th wheel ( 2nd hand) I am retired and one goal is going to the Grand Canyons. I can travel 10 to 12 weeks at a time from PA.Retirement is my only income and I can be very frugal. So if anyone has any helpful hints or ideas they'd like to share would be greatly appreciated. Hope to head out about the end of March or beginning of April 2017.thank y'all.
Carol, have you seen the website https://freecampsites.net/ yet? I use it before any trip to look for free camping locations. I also have a couple of apps (Allstays and CampWhere) to help me pinpoint locations while traveling.

To economize, take your time and drive slowly so you use less fuel, and plan your daily drives with affordable campsites in mind.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Carol, note that the north rim of the Grand Canyon doesn't open until May due to snow. Arizona isn't all desert.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Carol, we're also retired, have a 19' Scamp, live in the east and enjoy exploring the southwest. If you'd like more info on areas we've visited, send me a PM and I'll respond.

First, if you haven't already done so and are sixty two or older, get the USGS Senior Pass America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass We almost always camp on public lands and this will get you into most Federal properties that charge an entrance fee without cost. It also usually provides a 50% discount on camping fees.

No charge dispersed camping is often available in National Forests and BLM lands and policies for this are provided on their websites. We even found a free campground, Sagebrush, in Badlands National Park on our Fall trip through South Dakota. When camping fees are charged, those on public lands tend to be significantly less than the private sector. For USFS info, Fred and Suzie Dow have a great resource at Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

Another possibility would be to contact the managing agency for campgrounds in areas you plan to visit and inquire about host positions. We've never done this but have talked to many who have and think it would be great if we had the opportunity.

Good luck and please post back on your experiences.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
camping

Had a wrong phone number correct one is (570) 835-5281 Called there and the lady was very helpful. I am going up to Tioga HHammond's Lakes tomorrow to get my pass. Thanks again for ąll the help!
Old 11-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
camping rates!

Went and got my"America the Beautiful "National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass, a Lifetime pass.Thank you AL & wife for the reccomondations on this subject.I'm very happy. Will hopefully cross paths someday. Also thank you to the opening date on the Grand Canyons. I drew pictures of the GC when I was in grade school,my youngest brother saw them in the art room at the same school some17-19 years later and told me about seeing them.I went in search of these pics but no one knows what happened to them, So I've always wanted to go out west and see them in person. Plus on my way out there I've got family here and there in different states, to visit!!
Old 11-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
A great lakes campsite

Tioga-Hammond & Cowanesque Lakes. 710 Ives Run Lane Tioga,PA 16946 phone: (570)835-5281
,http://WWW.nab.ußace.army.I'll/Missi...ecreation.aspx
Old 11-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Thanks for the reminder! Just got my pass ordered. No plans for full-timing but it will be nice not to be gouged to go into a National Park.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
pass

Should of thought before I first posted looking for "cheap camping" and stated: .Reasonably priced sounds much better, as I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to go for free.Bobbie glad you got your pass ordered. Happy days and blessings to all.Am going on a road trip soon to see my great grand children born11/28,twins one of each now have 3.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
not what I say,how I say it

[QUOTE=gypsy elmo;618398]Should of thought before I first posted looking for "cheap camping" and stated: .Reasonably priced sounds much better, as I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to go for free.Bobbie glad you got your pass ordered. Happy days and blessings to all.Am going on a road trip soon to see my great grand children born11/28,twins one of each now I have 3.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
I got my Senior Pass o n Tuesday,11/29/16 ,the charge was only. $10.00.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Carol - Congratulations on the pass AND the great grandchildren!!!! Hope to see you out on the road sometime. If you ever find yourself down in northeastern NC, drop me a message.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
elmo, once you get to the Western US, there are endless possibilities to camp inexpensively. For the most part, National Forest and BLM land is open to "dispersed camping" which has very few restrictions and is usually free. Not all National Parks are the same cost. For instance, I was just at Guadalupe Mountains NP and the cost was $8 a night. ($4 with the Senior Pass) New Mexico State Parks are $14 a night with water and electricity and only $10 if you can get by without those things. And you can't beat the free hot showers. Generally, smaller National Grasslands campgrounds like Withers Canyon in Southern Colorado and Mills Canyon in New Mexico are free since they don't get enough campers to make it worthwhile to go collect the fees. In short, go West and the possibilities are unlimited.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
northeasternNC

AL & Cindy

Probably be around there April or May will give U acall
Old 11-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
thanks terry

Will make sure to visit those places. Wrote them down!!
Old 11-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #16

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
[QUOTE=gypsy elmo;618399]
Quote:
Should of thought before I first posted looking for "cheap camping" and stated: .Reasonably priced sounds much better, as I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to go for free.Bobbie glad you got your pass ordered. Happy days and blessings to all.Am going on a road trip soon to see my great grand children born11/28,twins one of each now I have 3.
Just came back from seeing mine. Granddaughter 11/29 but she is 7 now, twins (two boys) 3 1/2, grandson 13, and baby almost a year.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #17

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
You can also do dispersed camping outside the Grand Canyon on both rims. More desert like near the south rim and in forest near the north rim. The reason the north rim is closed in the winter is because the elevation there is much higher. Been wintering in AZ for about 20 years and more years than not(if my memory holds) there has been little to no snow on the south rim. In 1994 we went in Feb and found 2 feet of snow. Exactly one year later we went again and people were running around in tee shirts and shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:55 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
cold &snow!

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:00 AM   #19

Pennsylvania
How does one become a senior member? I went to a site called fiberglass(was yellow) campers, and it wwouldn't let me do anything on that site. I had to delete it off my Zoom.just asking?
Old 12-04-2016, 05:51 AM   #20

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
"Senior member" is due to total number of posts. I forget the number, must be a senior moment.