Check It Out! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Wow!

It shows my bias to say I'm only surprised by the Subaru motor, but then they went through a phase of headgasket issues.

Most people I know who drive Chevys have a story like "it's been a great truck. 200,000 miles on the original motor. 3rd transmission though..."
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I've about had it with cars and tow vehicles, but what's a guy to do?!?
Frank
MMMMM, a rickshaw .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #23

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Mileages

Here's some for you: I'm on my 3rd Toyota pickup truck. The first one in 1981 was a 4 cyl with the 22RE engine and Warn hubs. Drove that thing up the mountain on a washboard gravel road to the ski area for years. When it hit 350,000 miles I decided it was time. Still sold it for $2,000 CDN to a local rancher who said he was just going to use it on his land. One day a year later, driving on the only bit of 4 lane highway we had then, it passed me! I think they only came in beige.

The next one was the same truck but with an Extended Cab which was a real treat except to access the back seat area you had to flip the front seats forward. Drove that one up the mountain to 425,000 miles but the road was paved by then.

Enter # 3, a 2006 Extended Cab Tacoma, 4 cyl. 2,7l. 4WD, Manual trans. Purchased online one year old. An import from the U.S. as they weren't bringing the 4 cyl. models into Canada then. And this one had the suicide doors to access the back seats. As I didn't know I was going to be towing anything then I wanted to stick with the trusty 4 cyl. with a standard transmission. A bit slow going through the Rockies, but the standard transmission sure helps. The trucks sure got bigger over the years. It's my daily driver.

It has only 108,000 miles on it right now. Nearly brand new! Two years ago it towed my Trillium to the Arctic Ocean, over 8,000 miles, and a lot of dirt roads. I did some preventive work before that journey - new hoses, belts, plugs, etc. and had no problems thank goodness. On the Dempster Highway there is one gas station in 500 miles. Didn't even need the extra spare tire for the sharp shale roads.

New shocks, new springs on a recall, usual regular maintenance, and no issues outside of the A/C quitting which I gather is common. Run Finnish Nokian WRG2 snow tires year round that have a good sipe for the rainy Wet Coast here.

After years of VW's my last one, a Passat, kept needing new front wheel bearings and it was only 8 years old. I'd had the same VW mechanic for years and he was about to retire. He told me to get rid it. I asked him what I should buy instead. His answer: "Anything Japanese"! I was absolutely floored.

That's when I purchased a new Corolla. Had 2 of those as I commuted 3 hours per day to my paying job. Kept the local Toyota dealership busy for years. Now I have my own independent mechanic again.

Every time I bought one the price went up another $10,000. But they hold their value. The reason I purchased the first one was I'd moved out to the country where we got snow. My grandmother had died and left me $10,000. What to buy? I looked around and noticed all the young men seemed to be driving/off-roading with these things and they couldn't seem to wreck them, so that's how I made my decision and became a Toyota convert.

Recently I was thinking of getting a Subaru but the head gasket issue was still going on up until at least last year. I wish Toyota still made the old Corolla 4WD station wagon. They were great cars. Not fond of AWD or automatics.

Now that I'm retired I should be able to keep this one going until I can't drive anymore as I'm certainly not putting the miles on like I used to. Whatever you drive, almost, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Now I've had my say I'll see you again at 450,000 miles?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #24

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
... I'm only surprised by the Subaru motor, but then they went through a phase of headgasket issues. ...
I was under the impression that the past Subaru engine "issue" turned out to be a supplier's shipment of bad piston rings. Owners were burning all the oil out of their engine before it was time for an oil change. Subaru tried to claim it was normal for an engine to burn "a little" oil (but 5 quarts in less than 5k miles?!), then tried to blame the owners for not changing oil more frequently than specified in the owner's manual (so then why have a manual?). It took a class action lawsuit by affected owners to finally get Subaru's attention, find the real problem (the bad rings), and make it right (mostly) with their customers. It's a good thing for Subaru that they have a loyal customer base.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:52 AM   #25

California
Nice post BarbinBC.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #26

Montana
Dale, I'm not sure. Most of my knowledge about vehicles ends with with the 20th century. So I'm not sure if we're even talking about the same engine issues.

90s Subarus went through a problem of blowing head gaskets. Actually Subarus (and Toyotas) have historically had head gasket "issues". The issue partly being that they use an iron block with an aluminum head. That's fine, except that if you overheat the engine, the metals expand and contract at different rates, so the gasket between them fails (that's the conventional wisdom I've always heard). So if you never overheat, the engines are fine. But for people who don't check their fluids, or just honest issues, overheating and then head gasket failure happened.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #27

Montana
I aree, great post Barb!

The 81 would have a 22R, and they did come in different colors. I had an 83 (same body style 79-83), and it was a great truck. I've also had a 78, 86, 87, 92, 94, and now my 98. Unfortunately I would always buy them with almost 200,000 miles already, and sometimes abused, so they never lasted me to 300,000+. My 86 went to 240,000 and either the head gasket blew, or the timing chain finally ate through the cover and dumped coolant into the oil. It had been making noise for...almost 100,000 miles. My fault.

Are you definitely talking miles, or kilometers? I see you latest came from the US, but since your in Canada, I just have to ask.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Miles

Zach : My post is in miles, since my Toyota Tacoma came from the US. So I still use miles, even though everything here in Canada is in kilometers. I do a lot of arithmetic!

Yes, it was a 22R engine and I do know they came in other colours than beige - I was being facetious! The last two have been red - not by choice though.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #29

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Dave. Got a little carried away telling my truck stories!
Old 12-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #30

Montana
Cool. Yeah that's impressive.

Funny though, my 83 was beige Definitely fewer color choices back then, but yeah, they did have the typical red, yellow, tan & blue along with some fancy versions with stripes.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #31

British Columbia
Registry
Hilux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Cool. Yeah that's impressive.

Funny though, my 83 was beige Definitely fewer color choices back then, but yeah, they did have the typical red, yellow, tan & blue along with some fancy versions with stripes.
Yes I remember the ones with stripes - blue on beige specifically.

How about a Hilux? I still wish they made the external hook-type tie downs like those. The new plastic, track-mounted things are a pain in the neck. I installed more D-ring tie-downs in the bed of mine. One of my previous trucks had a built-in set of D-rings set vertically in the front corners of the box. That was before the plastic bed liners, I believe. When I got this last truck and wanted to carry a load I complained on a Toyota forum about the fact that I wanted tie DOWNS, not tie across. I don't trust these plastic things either.

Just a short rant!
Old 12-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #32

Montana
Yeah the external hooks on the bed of my 83 were great. My Tacoma has the vertical interior rings. The bed liner has cut-outs at the four corners so I can get to them. They’re nice but the external ones were sure handy.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #33

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
I complained on a Toyota forum about the fact that I wanted tie DOWNS, not tie across. I don't trust these plastic things either.
Totally agree with that. I added tie downs on my Ranger's bed deck where they should have been installed for shorter height items.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
i bought the 9 pack bull ring retractable tie downs. Along with the original 6 tie down points I now have a total of 16 tie down spots. they are made for Chev, Ford, Dodge, GM and Toyota.

https://www.bullringusa.com/
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote