check out local trailers? - lower Michigan - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Don't be in too big a hurry. I spent 2 years looking for nice used trailer. Gave up and bought a new one with my choice of options, and not messed with by shade tree mechanics.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Don't be in too big a hurry. I spent 2 years looking for nice used trailer. Gave up and bought a new one with my choice of options, and not messed with by shade tree mechanics.
I looked for a bit over a year and found a mint one with no PO changes. Not every trailer has been "messed" with although I did pass on a couple that had things done that had my 40 years of RV experience scratching my head to figure out....why. They are out there.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #23

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Well, I still have not gotten a hold of the folks with the Escape that I would like to look at, they do not answer the phone. I emailed back to Escape this morning to see if they may have another referral in the area.

I checked out a Lil Snoozy a few days ago - VERY interesting - lots of things to like about it, but I may do some late fall/winter trips, so I think I would need a dependable heat source.

I did see a Casita last evening. I really liked how they had modified the layout, so I would consider doing something similar - nothing major, just widened their beds and replace cushions with actual, custom made mattress. Also, seeing the carpet on the walls has eased my mind about that issue, I could definitely live with it.

I am going to see a Scamp 16 later this afternoon. Scamp gave me four referrals, 2 of which had their phones disconnected. Nice possibility here is that the gentleman said he probably will be selling this Scamp at the end of the fall, so would let me have first crack at it if I'm interested. It is the side dinette layout with a shower. 2013 model. Only drawback is that he doesn't have air conditioning. I could be ok with that. Checking Scamps FAQ's, they state that MOST 16s built since 2000 have the reinforcement and wiring needed, even if they did not come with the air.

For those who have offered via this thread or in PM, I am interested in seeing your trailers as well, and will set up a time to head across state the first part of August. Thanks again for the offers.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Surprised that Escape is lower than I anticipated, once the monetary exchange rate is factored in. Still expensive, but a pleasant surprise.

Make sure when comparing pricing that you also look at what comes standard on the Escape vs what is optional costing $$'s on the other brands..... the result may be surprising to you & you may as many others have discovered find the Escape is not actually "expensive".
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #25

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Make sure when comparing pricing that you also look at what comes standard on the Escape vs what is optional costing $$'s on the other brands..... the result may be surprising to you & you may as many others have discovered find the Escape is not actually "expensive".
Yeah, I realize their list of standard options is better than most. The problem is that they also have a list of additional options that other few if any other manufacturers offer, such as the extra large window, dual 6 volt batteries, solar panel, and extra insulation/thermal windows. All things I am very interested in - so their price still goes up, even if it results in comparing apples to grapes. Such a dilemma.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2001 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
You might find this thread interesting over on the Escape Forum:
2015 17B trailer for sale Calgary, Alberta - Escape Trailer Owners Community

This is a 2015 used-once trailer, for sale now in Calgary, AB. The post contains a photo of the build sheet from Escape, listing out the base price and options, including cost of each option, as ordered in the fall of 2014.

This guy got just about every option Escape offers with a total cost of about $30k CAD which at today's exchange rate is $23k USD. Who knows how long the exchange rate will remain this favorable, but as Carol H said, the Escape is not as expensive as it seems when you are an American buyer.

I am biased -- I just ordered an Escape 17B this week. I toured one locally yesterday. The difference in quality and design compared to my 2001 Casita 16' SD is readily apparent. Not that the Casita was a piece of cr*p by any means...we loved it and if you go that way, you'll be getting a fine product.

But for people who want to do more shoulder-season camping, the creature comforts of the Escape are a winner. And the ability to design YOUR custom trailer with just the options you need and/or want and no others...that is only going to come with an Escape.

We briefly thought about Oliver because of the true 4-season nature of the dual hull construction, heated tanks etc. BUT you buy the trailer with everything on it or you don't. You can't eliminate things you don't want, like Air Conditioning, TV, stereo, etc. Why should I pay for things that don't fit my camping style? I also asked Casita if I could eliminate AirCon on a 17' new build...the answer is "No".

With an Escape, I don't have to make compromises. On the other hand, I have to wait 11 months to get one
ClareM is offline   Reply With Quote