Check this out - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
The feature that will tempt one of my Casita buddies most is the ADA compliant door that folds down to act as a wheelchair ramp. This is an issue for him when his chair bound wife wants to come along.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
ooooh, reading through their press releases, I see they're located in Seattle. Anyone from that area want to check it out for the rest of us

Guess we can't include this brand on the homepage since it doesn't fit "LIGHTWEIGHT"
Quote:
The 38-foot Stiletto has a UVW of approximately 12,000 pounds which has already been obtained in the pre-production unit. Gross vehicle weight rating (gvwr) will be 18,500 pounds...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I agree the Stiletto looks expensive, so much so it just might make a Bigfoot appear to be a bargain--just the trailer for someone who has more money than they know what to do with. Not for me! Purdy, but too big and heavy.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #24

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Drool. If money were no object. Don't really like the unusual shape of the windows. Also, I would like to be able to open the windows. Some very attractive features, but then there are some features I don't like also.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #25

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
So, presuming it has an enclosed underbody; how much water flowing under it d'you suppose it would take to float it when it's down? ...
I know this is not an question looking for an answer, but...

It is over 5000 kg empty, so it would take over 5 cubic metres of displacement to float. With the lower section about 10 metres long and 2.5 metres wide, that's a draft (submerged depth) of at least 0.2 m (20 cm, or eight inches). If I stepped out of my Boler to find 8" of water, I'd know I picked the wrong campsite!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Underneath the unique body is a 2" x 8" x 5/16" tube steel frame, which is actually integrated into the body mold. Channels in the shell accommodate the chassis rails, and then the shell is bonded and bolted to the chassis.
This says to me that the frame is not inside the shell; the shell drops down around it. Since the floor is apparently flat across the top of the frame channels, the dropping down is presumably to look good from the side and to include under-floor tanks and other services (between the frame rails) within the shell volume. The tops of the frame rails would still be hidden from view (as they always are), but in this case the sides would be as well.

So few people ever do a shell-off-frame restoration that the bonding together may not be a big deal.

Even if the size is not in our league, I think it would be interesting to see more detail of the design and construction techniques.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I just dont understand why these trailers are so eliquent on the inside.I dont know where everyone else camps but i am ususally around sand and dirt etc.Too fancy for camping with---Maybe ok as a home in a resort area for the summer.

PS---It is different and nice looking inside and outside.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #28

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Thanks to Robirob I came across a European trailer with air suspension capable of lowering and raising itself a considerable distance. As I recall it was much more "our" size and the claim was that it could easily be parked in the average garage.

I have noticed that many of the Yurpean trailers have aluminum alloy frames (Alko, I think) and appear to be much more carefully designed for the purpose than our welded together steel ones (tapered members, etc. Maybe they spend a lot of time and money in test jigs to come up with appropriate designs.).

As a result it seems even their larger trailers are lighter than I would expect. Wall construction often seems to be different than the Murrican stick-built standard. If these aluminum frames were to be enclosed there is possibly less of a chance that corrosion would be a problem. Outright breakage may be another matter.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #29

Are those really aluminum frames, Per? While I have only seen them on web sites - with the exception of the Tab - what I'm seeing is generally stamped steel. Since they are sometimes galvanized, not painted, they look like unfinished aluminum. Al-Ko says "The AL-KO chassis is Hot Dipped Galvanised." I don't see a material indication in the BPW information, but they looked like stamped galvanized steel to me, too.

I agree that these European designs are more highly optimized; they are also produced by chassis manufacturers (such as Al-Ko and BPW) which amortized development and tooling costs among many clients sharing a common modular design, while North American trailer makers tend to "brew their own".
Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #30

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I just dont understand why these trailers are so eliquent on the inside. I dont know where [b]everyone else camps but i am ususally around sand and dirt etc.
I have a lot of friends who say that camping is a [b]3-star hotel.
Many of them have 40 foot motorhomes that they paid more for than I paid for my house. They tend to insist on resorts like this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RRV_4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	7252
Attached Thumbnails
RRV_5.jpg  
Old 04-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #31

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
Quote:
Wouldn`t the electric leveling jacks that are standard equipment with the unit level the trailer?.......anyone know the price?.....Benny

My guess, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it!"

However, my next door neighbor and camping mentor (a retired state employee) is on his SEVENTH RV/motorhome. It's a coach longer than his house.
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Stiletto is it a high heel or a TT?
Hmmm

Personally I think its sweet looking although I wouldn't want to haul it around

Quote:
Wow!!
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna, Donna, Donna, If I'm not mistaken, it does have a rear bedroom!! Now you need to go get one, modify your panel truck, and pull 'er on down to Bullards. I guarntee you will have the most looked at trailer at the park!!!
Shall we start a poll on how much this thing is gonna cost?! Whatdaya think...100,000
Via Con Dios
Randy and Renee
Yeah, what a waste of good space. I see the "nose" section which is typiclly a bedroom in 5th wheels...isn't in this trailer. It's used to hold all the electronics, etc. So now I know why there are stairs under the television.

I think Bardy's trailer is going to be the most looked at trailer at the Oregon Gathering.

Okay, I say $250,000 for the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #34

The typical front bedroom in a "fifth-wheel" is why those trailers are 12 feet and more tall. It is also usually at the top of a steep and narrow set of stairs. These characteristics don't appeal to everyone.