Checklist before camping for the season? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2022, 12:30 PM   #1

Name: Jessica
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Checklist before camping for the season?

Apologies if this has been asked a million times, and I did search the forums, but there’s SO much stuff in there!
I’m just wondering if anyone has a good checklist of things to do to get your camper ready for the camping season. We have a 1975 13’ Boler which we’ve owned for 2 years now, and it’s only gone out sporadically in the summer. We live in Seattle, so the weather is not conducive to camping year round! Total newbies still, so I’m just assuming there’s lots we don’t know still. Thanks!
Jessicadolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:46 PM   #2

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicadolph View Post
... ...
I’m just wondering if anyone has a good checklist of things to do to get your camper ready for the camping season. ... ... Total newbies still, so I’m just assuming there’s lots we don’t know still. Thanks!
I got my (new to me) Casita four years ago and along the way I developed a trip log spreadsheet and later embellished the excel workbook to include sheets (tabs) for checklists.

You can download a copy here.

Note that the google docs version for excel workbooks does not handle embedded links very well. I recommend that you download the file and use a local viewer or LibreOffice or OpenOffice or Micro$oft Office.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:48 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicadolph View Post
Apologies if this has been asked a million times, and I did search the forums, but there’s SO much stuff in there!
I’m just wondering if anyone has a good checklist of things to do to get your camper ready for the camping season. We have a 1975 13’ Boler which we’ve owned for 2 years now, and it’s only gone out sporadically in the summer. We live in Seattle, so the weather is not conducive to camping year round! Total newbies still, so I’m just assuming there’s lots we don’t know still. Thanks!
There are a lot of things all of us don't know.

Since you've had the trailer for a while, and used it successfully, I assume you understand how to fill the water tank, install a propane tank, how to hook up to the truck and how to tow it. So, you already have the basics handled.

The rest is just stuff you might want to take to make your trip more fun, or easier. Maybe the best way to do that is just take some basic cooking stuff, an ice chest (if you don't have a fridge), bedding, chairs, door mat, flashlight and a few tools like a four way screwdriver, pliers, garden hose, a steno pad with a couple of good pens, and volt ohm meter. Take some cash and if going to other states, call the bank to make sure your card works there. Go food shopping on the way out.

Then go. As you camp, which will be done differently than anyone else, make a list of things you would like to have with you, and bring them the next time.

Making a formal spreadsheet list sounds very boring and overly complicated. It can't predict what you might wish you had. And copying someone else's will only make you bring their stuff.

Over the years, I tend to bring less and less, and keep most of it in the trailer ready to go. The easier you make it the more fun it will be, and the less stress you will have checking off and packing all the things on the list. And when you shop for food, you can pick up a few items you wish you had thought of before you left.

Make it easy, simple and fun. Don't stress over doing it right, or it won't be fun.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:04 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
1. Check battery electrolyte level and top off with distilled water as needed. Verify state of charge. If it’s older or questionable, take it to a battery dealer for a load test.
2. Test lights and safety detectors.
3. Check propane level. Do a pressure drop test of the propane system if it hasn’t been done recently. I do one every 5 years or so.
4. De-winterize plumbing following procedures for your model.
5. Fill fresh water tank and test plumbing. Repeat for city water. Make sure water heater is filled.
6. Test all appliances, starting with the stove.
7. Clean interior and inspect for any signs of leaks or insect/rodent presence.
8. Wash and wax exterior.
9. Check tires: condition, pressure, and age. Don’t forget the spare.
10. If needed, re-pack wheel bearings and adjust brakes. Every 2-3 years or 20K miles is a good practice.
11. Hook up to tow vehicle and test running lights and brake operation.
12. Check and restock items you keep in the trailer all the time (another list, if you’re into lists).

You have a simple 13’ Boler, so some of this may not apply. For example, we never use the onboard water system on our 13’ Scamp, so I skip all the plumbing steps. It’s a long list, but it will soon become second nature.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:26 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
# 13. Money
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:37 PM   #6

Name: Jessica
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Thanks so much! This is great, and also makes me realize we aren’t as new as I thought we were
Jessicadolph is offline   Reply With Quote