Clam 1600 owners ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Clam 1600 owners ?

Are there velcro attaching points to attach the sixth solid panel cover over the entrance door. I want to use the Clam as a tent for a quick trip and don't want to drag it out if I dont have to to check. I have only used it as a screen room and never used all the panels at once.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Don't own one but I want to. I've heard their nice. Waiting for our old canopy to run its course.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
My Clam doesn't have velcro tabs on the panel which has the zippered entry (aka, door panel.) However, it wouldn't take much to buy a chunk of velcro at a fabric store and sew a few patches on wherever you would need them situated in order to mount the sixth cover panel. You may even, (if a little sewing doesn't frighten you,) want to cut the sixth panel in half, fold over and re-hem the cut edges, and mount a half section over each entry door screen section, so that you would still have access to the zipper, but also still have your privacy. Just an option.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
OK, I gotta ask, what is a Clam 1600? Pictures please.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
David-

You can see an example on today's discussion "SCAMP side storage cabinets..."

Clam makes one shelter that is for ice fishing and several other models that are screen room tents.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #6

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Nope, none for entrance.

I added 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners in addition to the velcro that is on the tent. I found that in strong wind, the panels blew off. The dual lock fasteners are much stronger than velcro.

I put them on with super glue. They do have adhesive on the backside, but I wanted to make sure they stayed attached.

I do have a question. How will you get in the tent when the entrance panel is in place?

This is a clam
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #7

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Three days ago we stopped in the Clam factory and looked at the Clam Quick-Set Escape (formerly known as the 1660 Six Pack Screen Shelter). In a month they will be offering a cooler tan version as well as the green. We're waiting for the tan version to become available.

They said you can put on the sides and turn it into a tent. You can stake the sides as well as the bottom to protect from wind, but it's still quite a tall tent, so I don't want to have it up in 40+ mph winds.

Terry and I set it up in less than 1 minute. Ground stakes would take another minute. The side stakes would probably take five minutes to install.

Here is one of the Quick-Set Escape videos.

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #8

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
I was thinking of buying a clam. Any one have experience with one or any alternatives? Heading to Pensacola on Sunday, where can I buy one, and the side curtains? They are not available in Canada as far as I know.

Bobby
2008 Casita f/d-----1988 Bigfoot 5er---1987 Boler
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Kirk View Post
I was thinking of buying a clam. Any one have experience with one or any alternatives? Heading to Pensacola on Sunday, where can I buy one, and the side curtains? They are not available in Canada as far as I know.

Bobby
I really like mine and it withstands wind better than most tents.

That said, the 3 problems I have had are:
1) If you get wind and rain, the curtains sometimes "leak"
2) In strong wind, the curtains can blow off
3) In strong wind, the top may pop down. If you watch the video on how to put the tent up, you see him go inside and pop up the center of the tent. When the wind blows hard enough, it will pop it back down. If it's raining, water will then collect and possible collapse the tent. I'm thinking about getting a telescoping pole to use when necessary.

I bought mine on Amazon.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I really like mine and it withstands wind better than most tents.

That said, the 3 problems I have had are:
1) If you get wind and rain, the curtains sometimes "leak"
2) In strong wind, the curtains can blow off
3) In strong wind, the top may pop down. If you watch the video on how to put the tent up, you see him go inside and pop up the center of the tent. When the wind blows hard enough, it will pop it back down. If it's raining, water will then collect and possible collapse the tent. I'm thinking about getting a telescoping pole to use when necessary.
I literally just got off the phone with the gal at Clam. She felt that if you expect winds over 35 mph take the room down. It's designed to be a screen room with sides to put on the wind side. Her father and others at times put five sides on. The make no side for the door side. You can use one of the other sides, but it really doesn't fit and is awkward.

The tan version will be available sometime in April.

It is NOT a tent, but a screen shelter you can sleep in on nice nights. If you want a tent, buy a tent. Terry and I tour with our trikes and have a small, light, but rugged, four person tent. It's small and we carry it with us in the camper. Today's tents have floors to keep out unwanted guests. In the 70's I owned a tent with no floor and woke up with a mouse running around in my sleeping bag. My next tent had a floor!

Our intention is for this screen room to replace our portable awning and provide a room to go to in the morning to make coffee and read the paper while the other sleeps.

Use the right tool for the job.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 02-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #11

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I literally just got off the phone with the gal at Clam. She felt that if you expect winds over 35 mph take the room down. It's designed to be a screen room with sides to put on the wind side. Her father and others at times put five sides on. The make no side for the door side. You can use one of the other sides, but it really doesn't fit and is awkward.

The tan version will be available sometime in April.

It is NOT a tent, but a screen shelter you can sleep in on nice nights. If you want a tent, buy a tent. Terry and I tour with our trikes and have a small, light, but rugged, four person tent. It's small and we carry it with us in the camper. Today's tents have floors to keep out unwanted guests. In the 70's I owned a tent with no floor and woke up with a mouse running around in my sleeping bag. My next tent had a floor!

Our intention is for this screen room to replace our portable awning and provide a room to go to in the morning to make coffee and read the paper while the other sleeps.

Use the right tool for the job.

Enjoy,

Perry
Mine's a tent. When I camped on the Outer banks, my clam was one of the few tents still standing after a severe storm that came through in the middle of the night. If you stake it down, it will hold up pretty well.

Like I posted, I added additional "velcro" to the panels so they hopefully won't leak and won't blow off. And by adding a center pole, I think I can stop the top from popping down.

I've used it on 3 trips, about 7 days each. I set it up when I get there and take it down when I'm ready to leave. I had several people stop by to see what kind of tent I had because they were going to buy one when when they got back home. Many were using cheap sunroom type tents.

The one thing I usually do as an extra safety measure is to tie one rope from the tent to the picnic table. The 1st time I put the tent up the wind was blowing and the tent got away from me, so I always make sure I have it tied to something that can't blow away. Turn your back for a minute to grab a stake and the wind has the tent 10' away and gaining speed.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Mine's a tent. When I camped on the Outer banks, my clam was one of the few tents still standing after a severe storm that came through in the middle of the night. If you stake it down, it will hold up pretty well.
Agree to disagree.

Your definition of tent and my/Clam's definition of tent are different. Clam makes no tent opening for the entrance of the shelter, just use their side opening as best you can. There is no integrated floor to keep critters out. When all the walls are covered there is no ventilation openings, just have to rely on the walls breathing. In the 60's & 70's these were called tents, but considering today's expectations for a "tent" I and Clam would only call this a shelter.

TETO

Perry

Old 02-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
After readings Creg's post my internet died so I set the Clam up in the barn. Creg was correct there is no velcro on the door side. I did discover the cover panels have clips on each of the four corners in addition to the velcro. The clips attach to the D rings on the tent so the the panel should still be attached if the velcro pulled loose. I found I could use doublesided Velcro cable ties to make the side velcro points to do double duty to hold the sides of the door cover panel. I made a bungee cord with cable velcro ties to span the top of the door this helps support the top of the door panel. Thanks for the help.
I would go with a tan Clam if ordering again. The green gets warm and the screen is so tight it can block some of the breeze.
Thanks again Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I couldn't resist any longer! Amazon has the Clam for about $235 (in green) so I bought one for this summer's camping. IIRC they were about $350 when I looked a year ago, and I couldn't bring myself to spend that much.

No way would I use it for overnights like a tent, though. For that I have a Coleman Instant Cabin.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #15

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I couldn't stand it either. Leaving for Ocracoke N.C. April 16th. Just purchased one also.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #16

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Got one love it
Old 04-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #17
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428706729.873829.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	82454Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428706763.056468.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	82455
We just picked up one too! We didn't need one to go over the picnic table so we grabbed the 72x72 inch Traveler Shelter.
There were a couple of nights last year just north of Ely Mn we could've really used it!
Sid

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Mine came a couple days ago. I think I will give it a try in the yard tomorrow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:23 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I must be all thumbs. My new one didn't go up quite so quickly. A couple of the panels were difficult to pop out... as I pulled on them, the entire unit kept dragging toward me instead. One in particular was really obstinate. Maybe it was made a little tighter than usual or something. In the end it took me more like about 3 minutes to pop all panels including the roof.

Taking it down was even worse, but all my fault. Short term memory loss?? I read the instructions, but an hour later I completely forgot what I was doing! Popped all but one of the side panels in before I realized that I hadn't collapsed/stowed the doorway poles. I had to pop a couple of sides back out, go in and fix that. Then I got the sides popped in again, and DOH! I didn't pop down the top yet!! I swear, it's a good thing no one was videotaping....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Got mine yesterday. Unpacked this morning and put in front yard to erect. No luck until I realized it was laying upside down. Was much easier when I flipped it over. I collapsed it with ease but was a wrestling match to get it back in the bag. Practice will make perfect. Wife loves it (me too). Went inside and ordered 3 wind panels.