CLAM Shelters - Floor or no floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2021, 05:02 PM   #1

Name: Nate
Trailer: scamp
CA
CLAM Shelters - Floor or no floor

Getting ready to purchase a CLAM shelter.

I'm debating between one of the "camper" versions with a floor or one of the standard ones. The floor appeals to me because it can be used as a tent as well as a screen room.

Also does anyone have a preference between the Escape and Pavilion?
Arooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #2

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Ours has mud flaps but no floor which allows me to lift it over a picnic table with ease. I have never seen one with a floor. I did get the side curtains though and am yet to use them. It rides inside the Ollie, but I store it under her when camped and not in use. It proved to be a valuable item whilst camping on St. George Island FL during mosquito season.
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #3

Name: Mark Bradley
Trailer: 1976 Boler B-1300 1980 Bigfoot B-17
Manitoba
I agree with Skalywag as I've never seen a Clam with a floor. It's an excellent choice with the flaps. It can be used in all types of weather.
Mark Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:55 AM   #4

Name: Nate
Trailer: scamp
CA
https://shop.quicksetshelters.com/es...reen-tent.html

Here's a link to the one with the floor.

What models do you recommend?
Arooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Clam

As above I am not aware of a floor being available in the Clam however I think the name is Gazelle makes a Clam type which is actually a camping tent . Several manufacturers make ice fishing type Clams , some with floors. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I’ve owned a clam shelter for about 6 years now. I didn’t know they had floors. But just seen this:
Attached Thumbnails
42FEB4BA-F406-4B95-AFAC-42BEB3C268AF.jpeg  
Old 03-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #7

Name: Sher
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Clam shelter floor

The only clam I could find and order with a floor is huge 12.5’ x 12.5’ (150 x. 150). Haven’t used it yet but did set it up. Very heavy because I ordered the one with the sides attached, which can unzip and roll up, which makes it feel more like a tent but it is harder to transport than a tent due to length and weight. The floor is a bit stiff and a lot of work to attach. Only got this so my cats can’t escape under the flaps which they could with my other clam with separate rain panels. (And those panels work great for rain and sun but the elastic loops stretch a bit with use and the wind can blow them away from the sides a bit, which is why I wanted to try attached panels.)

Won’t be using this when traveling as it is too large to set up and take down regularly, better to use for when staying in one place for a longer time.

The floor can be purchased separately but so far only one size available 150 x 150. It attaches with Velcro all along the sides a few inches above the bottom of the flaps.
Attached Thumbnails
2130FD9A-48AA-4FAB-8D11-E922285C5FE7.jpg  
SherN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Constructam Condor
4 years with my clam. Love it. All window flaps keep out water if attached properly. Fits over picnic tables and keeps sun out
penelope woodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #9

Name: Mark Bradley
Trailer: 1976 Boler B-1300 1980 Bigfoot B-17
Manitoba
Yes, it looks like there is a new and improved Clam shelter out now. Ours works out really well with the Boler and we wouldn't go without it.
Mark Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #10

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Vintage Cruiser 19ERD
Michigan
I have the Quick-Set Escape Sky Camper, by Clam. Just got it late last summer. The tub-style floor is removable (in fact, must be removed for storing in the bag), so if that was the determining factor, you have the option of either floor or no-floor. It’s fairly easy and quick to set up, but the floor takes some time and effort to get it attached. It is nice to have the option of a floor, though. With wind panels and rain fly, it makes a nice, large (94 sq. ft.) protected outdoor space that doubles for accommodation when the kids camp with us. In its bag, it is a heavy, unwieldy package for one person to handle, at 48#, 6’ long x 12”. I can imagine it will be quite the load after a wet camp! When packing away, it easily fits in the bag, though. Where to carry it is a bit of a dilemma. Plan on two people to carry and set it up, though one can, in a pinch.
Kevin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 17' Casita
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherN View Post
The only clam I could find and order with a floor is huge 12.5’ x 12.5’ (150 x. 150). Haven’t used it yet but did set it up. Very heavy because I ordered the one with the sides attached, which can unzip and roll up, which makes it feel more like a tent but it is harder to transport than a tent due to length and weight.

The floor can be purchased separately but so far only one size available 150 x 150. It attaches with Velcro all along the sides a few inches above the bottom of the flaps.

The Clam Pavillion is our spacious living room. It is big, a handful, but I can still carry it by myself. A dry floor would be nice, it could also come in handy for a quick ground reference to judge the clear space available before set up. If it snows, add a pole in the center and a Buddy heater for warmth and to melt the snow.
Attached Thumbnails
00001 DSCN3404.jpg   0001 DSCN3402.jpg  

New Orleans John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:52 PM   #12

Name: Blake & Melissa
Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13
OREGON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin7 View Post
I have the Quick-Set Escape Sky Camper, by Clam. Just got it late last summer. The tub-style floor is removable (in fact, must be removed for storing in the bag), so if that was the determining factor, you have the option of either floor or no-floor. It’s fairly easy and quick to set up, but the floor takes some time and effort to get it attached. It is nice to have the option of a floor, though. With wind panels and rain fly, it makes a nice, large (94 sq. ft.) protected outdoor space that doubles for accommodation when the kids camp with us. In its bag, it is a heavy, unwieldy package for one person to handle, at 48#, 6’ long x 12”. I can imagine it will be quite the load after a wet camp! When packing away, it easily fits in the bag, though. Where to carry it is a bit of a dilemma. Plan on two people to carry and set it up, though one can, in a pinch.
I would just repeat what Kevin7 said here. We don't have kids but when it was hot and or buggy, it was nice to have a fully enclosed space for us and our two dogs. We have never camped in it but based on construction quality and engineering we would guess it would work dandy for that. We just decided to go for this version so we had all the options.
PDX Scampo is offline   Reply With Quote