Classic Scamp Failure - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #81

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Floyd,

I'll check it out on my next Portland trip. We've gone up (45 miles) to the wooden boat show there, really fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #82

Florida
Paul, I particularly like northern Maine, Washington county, partially because few people live there.

My goal is to find a place to Escape to......

Floyd, there's been a lot of good information in the thread and a few diversions make it interesting.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-26-2014, 03:24 AM   #83

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp 13' 1977
California
Washington County is great, if a little "backward" even for home! We were stationed at then Bucks Harbor AF Station ('68-70', '74-'78) before coming to the Peoples Demokratic Republik of Kalifornia. We lived in East Machias and Bucks Harbor (where there is the only almost totally Jasper rock covered beach, aptly named of course, Jasper Beach!) I have a background there even though I was raised in Hancock Co. My mother was from Milbridge in Washington County and is buried there. VERY laid back and "your business" IS your business! If I were to actually "hide', I would probably find property (probably much more cheaply) in Piscataquis or Penobscot Counties. WAY away from anything, but definataly OFF-GRID if you wanted. Otherwise Washington Co is about ideal. Maybe "upper" Hancock Co would be even better, but zero real towns there.

Paul
Born in MAINE, living in Exile (Lompoc, CA)
Old_Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #84

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm sure a good experienced welder can do a repair as "good as new" if not better. Getting it to a shop would be a challenge, how can it be towed? Or are you going to have a mobile welder come out to the site?

I would think it would even be a challenge to winch it onto a flat bed unless there was some way to support the frame.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #85

Florida
Yahoo, fixed today. We had a number of things done. We repaired the broken and cracked beams at the caves. The outsides of the beams now have a 3*18*12" steel welded on. The insides have a 3*18*1/4" C section steel beam on the outside.

We have added a plate with a fish like tail on to the existing beam reinforcement., picture included.

He welded the propane tank ring down and the amt-sway bar mounting plate down, eliminating the effects of their holes.

Pictures of the repairs in the morning. Price $180,Limons Welding, Ona FL.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #86

Florida
Fish tail picture.
Attached Thumbnails
1390864964751.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #87

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
That's Good news Norm. Been thinking about you and the cracked frame. I want to crawl under my Scamp 16 and look around but it's buried in snow right now. Glad you were able to get it fixed rather quickly. Thanks for your detailed pics. Looking forward to seeing more.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #88

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Norm....That looks good she is stronger than new! Should last another 20!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #89

Florida
Jason, Now if only I can survive for another 20.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #90

Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Norm,
I am glad the repair was done so quickly and for a reasonable amount of money. I read the whole thread tracking the progress of your improvements and I see that you cannot trade this Scamp in - you more than doubled its value by what you did, and it is the way you both like it. Congratulations.
Paul
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #91

Florida
The repair guy was amazing. He came out to our RV site because we couldn't move the trailer. He worked hard every minute he was here, about 1.5 hours.

I drove out to his shop, backed in and he and a fellow worker got right on it and finished in another 1.5 hours.

I was thoroughly impressed. When he gave me the bill for $180 I said not enough and gave him $240.

We're so happy to have our trailer back. IN the morning I'll weigh the tongue, someone asked, and get some underneath pictures.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #92

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Norm,Ginny.
Glad to see it came out ok. I had a similar situation with a Casita a few years ago. It was a 92 model. It is owned by the state agency I worked for. I had gotten it at a local air base surplus for the agency. I hit a big bump on a highway where they were doing construction. I was near my destination when it happened. I was able to slowly limp in to the regional office where we have a shop. A coworker knew how to weld. He put it back together. One side had separated. We reinforced both sides. Good as ever since. This topic is going on my list of questions to Scamp when I contact them later this winter to plan my purchase for a new one. If you come through ND again I'd like to meet again. Enjoyed our visit.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #93

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I was thoroughly impressed. When he gave me the bill for $180 I said not enough and gave him $240.
It's great when you find a really good service. I have a guy that works on our cars that is very similar. Every time he tells me how much, I usually add about 30% more. I just wish I could get him out to Ontario to fix my van.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #94

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Jason, Now if only I can survive for another 20.....

At the rate you guys are going it would not surprise me if you did!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #95

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That's great news. And it's always good to reward honest work done well. $180 really does sound too low!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #96

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I'm happy to hear it was a reasonable price! So hitting the road soon?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #97

Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
When he gave me the bill for $180 I said not enough and gave him $240.
You are a good man!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #98

Florida
Everyone

Gene, We'll certainly stop next time we're in ND, probably 2015/16.

Deryk, We're in FL at the Escapee SKP Resort in Wauchula, a resort in that it's well ordered, and not a resort in the traditional RV sense. These parks were built for fulltime RVers to have a place to retire to when they can no longer be on the road. We've been on the list here to get a spot for 9 years and we're about to get one. We plan to stay here this year until we get one since we're in the single digits on the list and maybe most of next year to try it out as an owner. After that we'll be continuous travelers again until....

Paul, It would be nice if we doubled the value of our Scamp, the reality is we'll probably have it until our last days. We actually, if love is not too strong, love our Scamp. We both felt a little broken hearted when it broke. Last night we went out for a big celebration dinner, rare for us.

To Everyone, thanks for all your suggestions. They were all considered, The layout of the Scamp's frame makes some of them difficult if not impossible. The existing 6" steel sections are really thin and difficult to attach to well, preventing some solutions; even the Scamp's box beams are comparatively thin compared to the sections we added. Welding to the thin sections improved dramatically when we got to his shop using his 'wire feed welder'.

Now that I'm more conscious of the frame I believe I'll add shock absorbers to the Scamp, any comments on this are welcome.

One more comment about our welder, when I brought the trailer to his shop, he was just finishing up some work for two farmers who had just dropped in with small problems. Our campground is located in FL farm country, oranges and cattle, and most of his work is on farm equipment, equipment built strong and used strong.

Lastly we are two happy Scampers, getting ready to continue our travels, both thinking about our Newfie trip. I've posted a lot about our trip, part of my process to get us ready, to build anticipation in Ginny, and to a smaller measure myself.

Everyday we wake up in feel blessed, not that I am religious, but knowing the troubles of others, we are always thankful for our chance to travel together, the size of our trailer, the width of the bed, the height of the aisle or ducking for the doorway, no way diminishes the excitement we feel on the road. (Last night in bed Ginny and I were joking about running a course on why 44" wide bed is enough. I think it's our joking and enjoying that makes anything possible.)

Safe travels and a love of life and living to all.

More pictures and a tongue weigh in this morning.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #99

Florida
The first picture shows one of the added brackets that will allow us to bolt the Scamp's floor to the stiffened beam.

The second picture shows the Scamp's beam sandwich between a 16*3*1/2" piece of steel plate and a 18*3*1/4" C channel, the C channel's flanges are 1/4 " thick and 1.5“ wide. Both pieces have been shape to match the original curve of the Scamp's beam. As well the crack and break in the original beam's were welded closed before installation of the plate and C channel.

The third picture provides a view of the new steel Sandwich more clearly showing the C channel.
Attached Thumbnails
1390921408851.jpg   1390921447657.jpg  

1390921490968.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #100

Name: Ramsey
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
Thanks to Norm and all the input regarding frame issues. It's easy to involve oneself with the cosmetic fun stuff and putting off some of structural/mechanical concerns as this thread has brought to light. That being said, should one consider being proactive reinforcing some of the frame areas as opposed to "wait and see"? Especially in the older fiberglass trailers? I too have a 16' Scamp that i will have to wait a couple of months before i can closely examine.
Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp