Classic Scamp Failure - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #141

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mike,

I agree that in retrospect there had to be signs, In this case the sign was the lowering of the front of the trailer recognizable by the visual position of the rock shield latches against the Honda's rear window's heating elements. I use these to check that the trailer is leaning to one side or the other and not looking to see if it's lower, obviously a mistake.

I agree it's hard to catch every scenario however relocation would catch the trailer and A frame separating. With the stiffening of our frame I doubt that failure could now occur.

I seriously doubt the axle could fall off though certainly a wheel could go and would quickly announce itself. We have added pressure/temperature sensors to our trailer tires to help us see trailer wheel and tire problems. An increase in temperature on a trailer tire compared to the other can serve as a warning. We have already seen this on one of the Honda's tires where the temperature increased quickly on one of the rear tires.

In that case we stopped put it in reverse.

Now retired and virtually a full time trailer person, I have a lot of time to think about the rig. You know, free from the work-a-day world.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp