Clever idea to save water - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Clever idea to save water

Watch video

Use this idea in camper.

Keep sink faucets the way they are.
Just run sink drain to toilet.(Water saver)
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You can buy a sink that is setup for doing that with a portable toilet. The sink has its own fresh water supply tank. It then empties the sink waste water into the toilet flush water supply holding tank. Of course with some adaptation it would also work for a toilet on a black water tank.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20L-Portabl...-/311933697460

Name:   s-l300.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  8.8 KB

Or do as many other people do, collect the grey water into a bucket under the sink and then pour it into the toilet flush water holding tank.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Cool.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I want a foot pedal operated shower
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:34 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
I've not understood the obsession many have about dumping greywater in black tank...the DW and I avoid CG baths and use our bath instead. We find we can go 7-8 days...with careful usage...before we havvta dump and have never had the grey come anywhere near full(as best we can tell)...we will take one or two "navy" baths in that timeframe and may use the outdoor shower to wash hair(if needed) on occasion...I dunno, jusayin'.................
madjack

p.s. we wash dishes in a pan with hot water and either dump down drain or (heavens forbid) throw it in the bushes...we almost always rinse dishes with outdoor shower(oh the horror)...............mj

p.p.s. we are rarely out more than 10-14 days at a time and usually just one or two campgrounds per trip.................mj
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The problem is when hundreds of people over a camping season dump their dishwater on the same bush and leave remnants of wet mac'n'cheese from the dishpan that attract rodents.
On the other hand, we may be required to dump grey water on the campsite when the water runs out, like Cape Town.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #7

Rapides Parish La.
...to clarify somewhat, all dishes have been well scraped of food detritus before washing and the CG's we goto are rarely full and have lots of room/bushes around the sites...not really worried that we are causing any undue pollution...afterall, we use Dawn
madjack
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
out west here, dumping grey water or washing dishes at a campground faucet is likely to bring swarms of yellowjackets.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #9

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
water

what a great idea.
Go and Enjoy
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Have Dog...Have NO waste

My simple answer to grey water ... dog leaves pot without a trace of food. Just a little hot water and you're done!
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #11

Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
out west here, dumping grey water or washing dishes at a campground faucet is likely to bring swarms of yellowjackets.
We have yellow jackets by the zillions(along with most all other critters...I live in a swamp afterall), they get into food, drink and your ear when dinning outside....the cure...take a half filled coke or beer can and set it off to the side...replace daily 'cause it fill up daily with the little critters...........
madjack
Old 03-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Joke !(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
My simple answer to grey water ... dog leaves pot without a trace of food. Just a little hot water and you're done!
__________________________________________________ ________

Reminds me of the Camper who says his dishes are as clean as soap and water can get them. Then he lays all the dishes on the ground and yells to his dog, "Come, boy. Come here, Soap and Water ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
__________________________________________________ ________

Reminds me of the Camper who says his dishes are as clean as soap and water can get them. Then he lays all the dishes on the ground and yells to his dog, "Come, boy. Come here, Soap and Water ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA.
I think I'll name my next two dogs Soap and Water.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Anytime I have dumped gray water on the ground, and it has been a rare occurrence, I dump it in the fire ring. I have never seen an accumulation of insects or vermin crawling about the fire ring, and I believe that embers from the next campfire minimize any residual “detritus” that may be present.

That being said, my method of saving water is to drink very little of it; I simply drink more beer. Granted, any beverage one might drink contains water, but technically, they are not “water.” Furthermore, since matter (including water) is neither created nor destroyed, any water that is a component of beer gets recycled. Oh boy does it get recycled! And you can take that statement “to the bank.”
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
savin the water

we boondock mostly even when at a site we use disposables we find we can get by with 1 gal a day. we have not tanks in our 13f scamper!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack View Post
p.s. we wash dishes in a pan with hot water and either dump down drain or (heavens forbid) throw it in the bushes...we almost always rinse dishes with outdoor shower(oh the horror)...............mj
We do this often too, as I like to wash outside if possible. If not hooked to services I often disperse the grey water into the bushes. We too scrape all food waste off first so it is just residue that suspends in the water. Lots of camping areas tell you to dump the grey water away from the site and in the bushes. At Quartszite, on BLM land, we were told to dump grey water on a bush somewhere. If I was in an established campground, I would not just dump grey water in the bushes.

To save water even further, we do not rinse our dishes after washing, and instead wipe dry with a dish towel to remove what wee bit of soap may still be there. Heck, sometimes we have waited to long to hand dry, and have never tasted soap in our food or drink.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
water is life

Water is for drinking, not so much for washing dishes. We can starve ourselves for days, but we can't live without water for very long.

It's no joke that my dog takes care of all solid food that might be left over. When it's the frying pan or sauce pan, I just heat a little water in the empty pot or pan and scrub it down and rinse with a minimal amount of water. Occasionally, I'll use a drop of Dawn if needed. No food goes onto the ground. It goes into us! I use paper plates and bowls when on the road. These can be burned or discarded without damaging the environment or attracting critters. I'm frugal (some say cheap) and will reuse a paper plate many times if it's not too messed up.

And I agree with CPW, beer is like bottled water with built-in fun.

Stay hydrated this summer. Your life may depend on it!

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cleaning

yes a tad of water in a skillet is amazing. our doggie cleans up all paper plates before they are put into the trash. we haven't found anything she wont eat yet!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote