Clothing for trips - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #1

Name: Barclay
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Clothing for trips

I am curious about the best method of storing extra clothing in a Scamp etc. since storage space is so limited. We have been storing our clothes in a suitcase and leaving it our tow vehicle . We take out the day’s clothing the night before. We store small items in the overhead bins. Are there any other suggestions? Our closet is full of camping essentials so we don’t use it for clothing. Any hints would be appreciated. Thank you.
Bjkj Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
1. Pack less. On longer trips, we plan on one week's worth of clothing, and doing laundry once a week. Comes from our prior motorcycle travel experience.

2. Duffel bags can fit well in lower cabinets like the dinette benches. We put hiking and seasonal stuff there, as we tend to take LONG trips and see a wide variety of weather.

3. Shelves in closet work better for us than hanging clothes. We don't carry much that requires hanging. Waste of space for us.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Is this the 16' Scamp listed on your profile / what plan is it? Or is it a 13?

Since space is so limited, it often boils down to deciding what's a really priority to bring at all, and also what's a priority to keep inside the trailer cabin.

We keep jackets and outwear in the tow vehicle so they go with us when we take day trips. Same goes for bicycle helmets, snorkel gear, hiking shoes, etc.

We pack a lot of layers; silk and poly long underwear, knit shirts, light sweater, wind/rain shell, etc. That makes the clothing much more versatile for wearing in different weather conditions.

When we had the Casita we used soft, "mashable" duffle bags for personal gear that stored under the dinette / bed area. I retrieved them from under the bed with a broomstick with a little hook in the end.

Outdoor chairs rode on the bed during travel and were taken out of the trailer on arrival. A canopy and outdoor stove rode on the floor and were likewise taken out of the trailer on arrival.

I really liked getting the A-frame storage box on the Escape as that allowed me to take some things out of both the trailer and the tow vehicle, particularly a doormat, towing gear, blocks and chocks.

It all seems to be a constant process of readjustment. Now that we have a relatively large trailer with much more storage space, we have worked (successfully so far!) to keep the storage cabinets lightly loaded so that they don't fill up with extra stuff and make fetching things out of storage a nuisance.

Everytime some new addition to the kitchen gear is proposed, I ask if it can perform three tasks. Other items earn a place by being "special", such as snorkeling gear when we are going to certain destinations. That same mindset is also applied to clothing and other gear and helps to reduce the sheer number and volume of things we bring along.

We also use cardboard boxes as "drawers" in some kitchen cabinets. That way we can load them up, pull the box out of the cabinet, and readily get at what we want. Over time, we modify these; using cardboard means they are cheap, flexible and the arrangements are readily modified. Other folks like using plastic storage bins under the bed, in tall cabinets, etc.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #4

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
This is another spot for the Trofast cupboard hack. We found that using the IKEA Trofast bins made clothing storage much easier and better orgasnised. We also use sealable storage bins to go under the benches front and both sides (they have to share with the other storables).

As for the Trofast hack, I have posted in the miscellaneous documents section a detailed set of conversion plans to get it built in through the door opening.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Florida
Reduce space for clothing

On way is to use high quality large freezer or other storage bags. Put items inside and sit on them or otherwise compress them while closing the seal.
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
CLothing bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjkj View Post
I am curious about the best method of storing extra clothing in a Scamp etc. since storage space is so limited. We have been storing our clothes in a suitcase and leaving it our tow vehicle . We take out the day’s clothing the night before. We store small items in the overhead bins. Are there any other suggestions? Our closet is full of camping essentials so we don’t use it for clothing. Any hints would be appreciated. Thank you.
I like my western shirts, so I use a clothing bar in the back seat of the tow vehicle and have also added shelves to the closet.
https://www.amazon.com/High-Road-Hea.../dp/B001NI7KE2
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
We carry nothing that needs to be on a hangar. We're going camping, not to a formal dinner party. Mostly T shirts, jeans, heavy-duty shorts, socks and underwear. We can do laundry when we need to. It all stuffs in our soft-sided carry-on bags which we toss on or under the bed. My front closet is all shelves which we find more useful than a rod and hangars would be. Just us...
Attached Thumbnails
closet1.JPG   newlocker.jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Travel light.

Our rule is:
1 make a list of all the clothing you will need
2 - make a list of the money you will need.
3 - take half the clothes and twice the money…. !

Invariably we get back home with clothes we never wore.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #9

Name: Gib
Trailer: Scamp Shopper
Minnesota
Plastic drawers instead of suitcase

We do like what you do. We keep most of our clothes in the TV and only bring a change for the next day into the trailer at night. To keep things organized in the TV we used plastic storage drawers that we got at Target. Works really well. We also tend to pack mostly camping clothes from places like REI or Gander that tend to pack down. And we try to focus on only bringing the essentials.
agibsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #10

Name: sharon
Virginia
we leave the bed made up so i bought one of these under the bed rolling boxes. works great, keeps everything neat & organized. long as shoes go beside the box & not in it, you can fit a week's worth of clothes.
Attached Thumbnails
box.jpg  
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #11

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Before adding shelves to our closet, we used an idea carried over from our pop-up days.
Two small cardboard dressers with drawers. They can ride anywhere they fit and sit in the trailer when needed.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I tend to bring much more than I actually end up using. So lately, I've just been bringing the essentials. So far, I haven't missed any of the other stuff. Extra clothes ride in a covered storage container in the truck, as does bottled water, and gear I don't want in the trailer, such as tools, door mats, door step, etc. A covered container in the truck can also be a good pantry for canned goods, wine, and that large iron frying pan for incredible breakfasts. The computer rides in a bag on the bed where it can't fall. The microwave is a good place to store paper towels or bread. The conventional oven works for that too. Extra bedding, blankets, pillows and sheets can go into heavy duty contractor trash bags and live in the truck.

Some things, like dish detergent, a shaving kit, a thermos, coffee pot, or paper towels can ride in the sink.

I insist the trailer is fully usable inside all the time. We might stop for the night at a truck stop, for instance and I don't want to unload anything just to sleep, or to make lunch, or a cup of coffee, etc. The easier it is to use, the more fun it is.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:54 PM   #13

Name: AvisJo
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Dear Sharon,
I bought a rolling box exactly like yours at Target several years ago and have used it happily until a side got smashed in. I would love to replace it since it works so well, but Target doesn't carry it any longer and I can't find it anywhere else. Do you remember where you got yours???? Many thanks...
Avisjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #14

Name: sharon
Virginia
Avisjo I bought it at either Walmart or Lowes
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:55 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
Avisjo I bought it at either Walmart or Lowes

You might also check “ big lots” or “the container store”
Think I’ve seen these at both
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Colorado
Space on the road is precious. When we go on a trip, it takes one day to do laundry, so we only carry the essentials.
Carasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Old thread, but we do the same as the OP. Each person has their own suitcase or duffle that stays in the tow vehicle. Keeps the trailer uncluttered, and if the weather changes or clothes get soiled while we're on a day outing away from camp, we're covered.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Older thread, but missed it somehow before.

We carry enough clothing to do at least a week, and at that keep it relatively simple. I wear pants and shorts until they are getting dirty, shirts kinda the same. Only t-shirts, socks and underwear get changed fairly regularly.

We have two smaller upper cabinets each to use, and a small hanging closet that except for a very few hanging shirts I let my wife use.

Laundry then gets done at the most once a week, more often even longer between. Seeing it is about a 3 hour ordeal we plan shopping and stuff around it. I shop, my wife does the laundry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:00 AM   #19

Name: Mark
Trailer: CR-V
California
Space on the road is precious. When we go on a trip, it takes one day to do laundry, so we only carry the essentials. Try to think of sets of clothes that you can change. It's best to take vacuum bags and a vacuum cleaner with you on the road. Then you can always use less space than you need for clothes. Put a finished set of clothes without underwear in one vacuum bag. You change your underwear more than once every five days. Haha. We, a kid, once forgot to bring a change of clothes and had to buy them online and call for delivery to our trailer. There's quality children's clothing for all ages, so we quickly picked out everything we needed and changed the baby.
schaemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #20

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Microfiber towels pack compactly.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote