CO Route 82, Aspen to Leadville - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

My question is in this link:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti.../1.cfm#23248072

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
My question is in this link:

Adrian

Yes, it is still there. And Independence Pass hasn't changed much in the last few decades. I went over the pass about a month ago on return from Utah. I would NOT recommend towing a trailer over that pass, even a small one. Max legal length on that run is 35'. I drove a 22' flatbed truck over the pass a few years ago and wouldn't do it again, even on a bet.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Here is the post that was linked to, so it is here for future searchers [paragraph breaks added]:

Quote:
I just remembered going from Aspen to Leadville, and camping at Twin Lakes State Park. A very nice campground, beautiful Lakes, nice canoeing on them. Drove around in our dinghy to Leadville and had pizza at Pizza Hut. We'd driven over from Aspen, very neat drive up and over, extremely narrow at one point on the drive, one lane, it seems now.

I remember a lot broken side mirrors by the rock which one had to squeeze around and tucking in the driver's side mirror. In a 22' C-Class MH towing a Geo Metro with a 16' Canoe on it's roof. Made it by without a scratch. Topped out well above tree-line getting over at the pass. Independence Pass very scenic. Very beautiful country. It just reminds me, we do not have to stray too far from home to see some beautiful country.

At the time we were returning from a trip which took us up the west coast to Blaine at least at Birch Bay State Park, then over into Canada. To Jasper, Baniff, Watertown, back to US to Glacier, to Idaho to Rock Springs, WY by Flaming Gorge to Aspen. But after Twin Lakes, we got to Heron Lake in New Mexico, but not sure of the route. A neat trip in 1997, our first in the Couchmen.

The campground near Aspen was along a river, lots of dense willows between the sites and to the river. Not much around in the way of public campings areas.

Twin Lakes SP: Twins
Forest Service Campground near Aspen: Campground
Aspen the town where the Billionaires are buying out the Millionaires. Aspen
Independence Pass Pass
Independence
May Company & Leadville May/Leadville

Is the one lane pass around the "bolder" or RockFace on CO 82 up from Aspen still there, going to Independence Pass?
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thanks.

Here are the links which did not show:
Twin Lakes Campgrounds: Dexter ** Lake View ** Parry Peak ** Twin Peaks ** White Star I believe we stayed at White Star.
Forest Service Campground near Aspen: Campground
Aspen the town where the Billionaires are buying out the Millionaires. Aspen
Independence Pass Pass
Independence
May Company & Leadville May/Leadville

Edited to delete reference to Twin Lake State Park, not a state park there, but San Isabel National Forest Campgrounds.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Did the drive in 2005 sans Casita, in a driving rain, and YES the boulder is still there making the already winding, crazy, mountain pass road into a one lane winding, crazy, mountain pass road for an unexpected moment.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
It's still a spectacular drive spite the boulder! Rod drove it 30 years ago in a Class C. Say's that wasn't a fun drive................................... I have only been over in my full size truck. It's tight but like I said Beautiful!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I have been over Independence Pass twice in the past year, most recently about two months ago. I was driving my Ford F-150 pickup truck and not towing anything. It is a beautiful drive, but very tight in spots and very sharp switchbacks. I would not pull my 21' Bigfoot over this route, because it is wider than my truck and would be very vulnerable to sideswipes. And the length when combined with my truck is well over the 35' limitation. Someone pulling a 13' FGRV with a small tow vehicle could probably make it OK, but it would still be a white knuckle experience to have to worry about the trailer while trying to keep the truck out of harm's way. There are plenty of easy mountain passes to drive in Colorado, but Independence Pass has more challenges than most of them. Also, keep in mind that Independence is not maintained in winter and will probably close soon. There has already been snowfall in the high country this year.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Eco Featherlite 1970 (Circa)
Registry
I would imagine by now you've gotten an earful dismissing driving over Independence Pass with any type of trailer less of course you have some type of .....wish. I'd recommend coming in from I-70 from the west and try camping with your trailer up HiWay 133 south of Carbondale up towards McClure Pass, where theres plenty of pull-offs and scenic beauty along the Crystal River. Try Penny Hot Springs while your there. If your still bent on getting to Leadville continue on east thru the magnificent Glenwood Canyon, bring your bicycle as the path this time of year is the best way to enjoy its grandeur! Forecast: Snow manana in the High Country
Happy camping!!
jeff isaacson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Stay away from Independence Pass, it's white knuckle enough w/o a trailer.

If you try it, know it's no return once you start, not many places to pull over or turn around. It will probably be closed for the season soon, anyway.

I'm in Glenwood Springs, just down the road, and have driven it a number of times and always wonder why the heck I'm on it again. As a western Colorado native, it's one of the worst (paved) passes I've been on, worse than Red Mountain IMHO. Very narrow with big drops, beautiful, though.
Marjorie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
I only have one thing to say. I've been over the pass a couple of times and it's breathtaking in more ways than one. I would NEVER drive over it pulling anything....but if you must, then be sure and take a small, 12 to 16 inch will do, Crow Bar with you and leave it on the seat next to you. You will need it to pry your rear end off the seat if you make it down safely.

There, that's my 3 cents worth.
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote