Coffee Cups/Makers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGDOG View Post
I use a moka pot that makes about 10 oz of coffee (just enough for me). I't forces the water from the bottom reservoir, through the grounds and then into the top reservoir. The water is passed though the coffee grounds only once unlike a percolator. The directions say to fill the coffee basket up to the top, this makes very strong espresso like coffee. I don't care for that so I only put two spoons in and get the strength that I like.

Nice looking Scamp Dan.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #22

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
I don't drink coffee often so I use an AeroPress. Works great.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #23

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I tried the metal Aeropress filter and for some reason, I definitely like the taste through a paper filter better. Too bad since then you need paper filters, but it tastes way better to me. I've never had a problem with any coffee sludge at all with one paper filter. Might depend on how fine you grind. A lot of people grind their beans for the Aeropress pretty fine, but it actually works pretty well with a lot of different grind sizes, so it's pretty versatile.

I have a hand grinder and use the same grind for Aeropress as I do for my pour over; works great.

Short of actual espresso machines, which have their own taste and aren't necessarily "better" than another method, Aeropress and pour over style make by far the best quality coffee.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I tried the metal Aeropress filter and for some reason, I definitely like the taste through a paper filter better.
I use both, and it can depend on the origin of the beans and how they are roasted as to which tastes better with which filter. There is more oil thus acidity let through the metal filters which gives it a brighter taste, and with some beans this can be a good thing as with others not so much. Maybe try changing up with the same batch of beans, as well as with different beans. I love experimenting from selecting beans, roasting, extracting and drinking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #25

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I'm another evil k cup user. But only in my trailer. I have a human powered thing that I can't think of the name of. You put the cup in, screw on the upper part, add hot water, put on the top and pump the water through the cup into the cup. It might could be dangerous as it is kinda wobbly, but so far I've survived. Then I add hot chocolate and milk so I can't taste the coffee but get the caffeine.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:22 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I've noticed some pretty nifty coffee makers/cups at some of the rallies. I'm looking to upgrade from my old stovetop aluminum percolator. Does anyone have any suggestions that I might check out? Thanks in advance!
I have one of these. A nice useful combo.
https://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-BSE...SIN=B00LS7VOCC
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:27 AM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
I have one of these. A nice useful combo.
https://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-BSE...SIN=B00LS7VOCC
Another option that's handy are the Folfers coffee bags. They're like tea bags but with coffee. All you need is hot water. If you have a microwave, piece of cake. It's not instant coffee either.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:30 AM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Another option that's handy are the Folfers coffee bags. They're like tea bags but with coffee. All you need is hot water. If you have a microwave, piece of cake. It's not instant coffee either.
This. Walmart has them.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Folgers-C...-6-oz/10318575
Old 12-07-2018, 01:39 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm not an elitist, but, I think "Folgers" is a curse word to people who love coffee.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:09 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm not an elitist, but, I think "Folgers" is a curse word to people who love coffee.
That's an interesting observation since Folgers is the top selling brand in the Country.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Coffee Cups/Makers

A lot of people eat at McDonald's, too. Sometimes convenience wins over quality.

I tried the coffee bags years ago when backpacking. Better than nothing. Now that camping includes a trailer I have raised my standards.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #32

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm not a coffee connoisseur (whom I actually pity a little bit). I use a (small-ish) percolator with a paper basket wrap filter (from Kroger) for easy cleanup. Since I'm only making a couple cups for myself in the morning, I just put about 2-1/3 coffee cups of water (out of the fresh water tank for goodness sake) into the percolator so I'm not heating up too much extra water so that it speeds up the boil time. Generally Folgers. The little extra water is to counter what boils away.

I used to carry both a percolator and one of those 4 cup drip Mr. Coffee's but I eventually wondered why I was carrying both.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #33

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I remember drinking the Folgers singles when I had a job as a fire lookout. They do the job. I like the Starbucks Via instant packets better, and use them for backpacking, but the Folgers singles are just fine. Via wasn't around back when I had that job.

But I agree. "Popular" doesn't mean good, or quality. Glenn's example is a perfect one. McDonalds food is straight up trash (trash that I very occasionally do like to eat), but every time I pass one, the drive through is full.

The problem for me is that crappy coffee makes me feel crappy. Jittery, rot gut. It's low quality, mass-produced and cheaply processed. Cheap beer has added corn or other types of sugar. McDonalds "food" is mostly created in a lab. It's not that we're elitist snobs (well, some of us are), it's that what many companies are offering us is complete crap. Once you get a taste of the real thing, it's hard to be content with the industrialized "product" so easily available.

For me it's not a hassle. I go back & forth between coffee and tea anyways, and I can wake up ok without either. It's enjoyable to have something hot. But if the coffee isn't good quality, I just go without coffee. Sometimes it's situational. Cowboy coffee can really hit the spot, standing around in the morning up in the mountains. On a river trip, out in the hot sun in the wilderness, PBR can actually taste good.

I envy people who are good with "whatever". The older I get, the more affected I get by stuff. Crappy food and drink makes me feel crappy. So more and more, I get more and more particular about what I consume.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #34

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
As Mr. Bennett stated, few electric makers produce good coffee. The primary reason is because they fail to heat the water to a temperature for proper extraction. Those that do are expensive (Bonavita, Oxo On Barista) or very expensive (MoccaMaster). Of these, the BonaVita has the smallest footprint. I personally do not like the Aeropress (I find it”messy”) and often have hookups so I have and really like the Bonavita. With dual 6 volt batteries and solar, I finally installed an inverter with a dedicated outlet so that I can use the Bonavita drip maker anywhere. That being said, I do have a 6-cup stainless steel percolator from Cabela’s as a contingency as well as a single cup pour over (no coffee = emergency!). Even so, neither the percolator nor the pour over can produce coffee of the same quality as the BonaVita. At home, I use a MoccaMaster but it is definitely not compact.
Which model of the Bonavita drip maker do you use?
Old 12-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #35

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
I have an aero press and agree that it makes great coffee.

But I'm not that much into great coffee, I just want a decent cup of hot caffeine that can wake me up. So, I am the slime ball heathen that uses a keurig. It is just easier while camping, and while camping easier wins out often times.

It helps that we live in an area where there are tons of good camping areas with hookups. We have not yet spent a night in our trailer without electricity, at least.

As for cups, I am typically a big fan of something that will warm my hands. But, I was given a Yeti mug and I really like it. It works well for coffee, wine, beer, whiskey and water. The whiskey and water do not have to be together.
We do to, although I try to buy a kind with pods that will compost. Hard to find where we moved to though.

CindyL
Old 12-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #36

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Which model of the Bonavita drip maker do you use?
I use the 8 cup one touch which can be purchased on Amazon. There are two models but the only difference is the way the filter basket attaches. The older version the basket sits atop the carafe, the slightly newer “updated” version it slides into grooves. They are essentially the same. 8 cup is a misnomer because what the coffee industry calls a cup is @ 6 fluid ounces. It essentially makes about four 12 ounce cups. And I would disregard the reviews in Amazon. Much of what I have seen that is negative is simply not true. I really like the Bonavita.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:33 AM   #37

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The paper filters make cleanup so easy and much less messy. I am too lazy to want to use a metal filter. The paper filters are so small that the ecological savings versus using a metal filter is not that big of a big issue.

The key to easy cleaning is to push out the grounds immediately after making the coffee. It is the hot water in the grounds that makes it a snap to clean. If you wait until it gets cold the grounds take a lot more force push out.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #38

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We're still using a Comet aluminum percolator. Neither of us can recall where it came from but it shows up in photos of camping trips made before we were married in 78.

The shot below was taken at Lee's Ferry in Glen Canyon NRA showing the pot on my 533 stove and my preferred cup (red handle) on the left. Its an Engle ($10) and keeps the coffee hot for several hours. Cindy doesn't like it because the lid is a little finicky.

Apologies for the poor photo but its the only one I could find with the pot and cups together.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wow... white gas stoves, too!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #40

Name: P
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Wow... white gas stoves, too!
I have 3 white gas stoves. A two burner, a heavy one burner, and an old, Primus one for backpacking. The first two need some work. The oldest one, the Primus, still works fine.

I remembered the name of my coffee pumper. It is a MyJo.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote