Coffee Cups/Makers - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #101

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I was wondering if you enjoyed your coffee as say someone who enjoys a fine Scotch or Bourbon. Anything other than perhaps an occasional ice cube and it ruins the product.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #102

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
lol! I think it is quickly becoming apparent that I need to learn a lot about coffee. As a total novice what would be a decent choice should I walk into my local Starbucks and grab a lb to experiment with.
starbucks coffee is overpriced and overroasted, generally using cheap bulk beans. they are in fact the worlds largest purveyor of coffee flavored milk drinks.

while we have 2 excellent 'microroasters' here in town, they too are very expensive albeit much higher quality than Starbucks (the McDonalds of coffee). I've discovered the local wholesale roaster sells direct to the public, and their coffee beans are every bit as good as what the fancy places use, and are $11-12 per full pound, vs $16+ for 12 ounces at the boutique roasters (Verve, and Lulu Carpenters). Now, Lulu's and Verve both make superb espresso drinks... Lulu's actually uses a different roast for a straight espresso than they do for cappuccino or lattes.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #103

Registry
Also, when you do buy these fresh roasted coffee beans how do you store them? Should they be room temp or refrigerated/frozen?
Old 12-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #104

Mid Left Coast
I store them in a closed bag in a dark cool cupboard. do NOT refrigerate them or risk condensation. I usually get 3 lbs at a time, which lasts us about 2-3 weeks (we brew our coffee strong). if the roaster wasn't all the way across town, I'd probably get 1 lb at a time, but I hate dealing with westside afternooon traffic.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #105

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Best thing is to buy fresh, store in a cool, dry place, and go through them quickly.

I know some people like to buy bulk. I used to freeze my beans, but...even when I'm not drinking all that much coffee, it still tastes fine a couple weeks later.

Fridge: no.
Freezer: yes, BUT.

Every time you pull the beans from the freezer, they get a lot of moisture on them. If you buy coffee in bulk and freezing it makes sense, then there are ways to avoid too much condensation. My mom buys 5lbs at a time. If you're taking them in & out of the freezer every morning, they're going to get a lot of condensation.

So you can freeze them in 1 or even 1/2lb containers, or whatever size makes sense for how fast you go through coffee. Just take one container at a time out of the freezer.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #106

Mid Left Coast
make sure beans are in a completely airtight container/package if you freeze them. glass jars with a tight fitting lid work well.

but yeah, 2-3 weeks is fine for whole beans as long as its in a cool dark place... our pantry stays around 55F if the door is closed, thats just fine.

if you can't find a roaster, here's some excellent choices mail order from my local wholesale roaster.
Moka Java - Java Bob's Coffee Roasting
Tanzania Peaberry - Java Bob's Coffee Roasting
Costa Rica Estate - Java Bob's Coffee Roasting

for some reason, the Kenya AA isn't on their website...
Old 12-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #107

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
There is no need at all to freeze beans. Green they will last lots of years if kept in a cool dry place. I have roasted 7 year old Sumatran beans and the result was great.

If roasted, beans are always best withing 4 weeks, and freezing them does little to keep them fresher. If you do feel you need to do this, as mentioned they must be sealed air tight or they will absorb odours or get freezer burnt.

If you are truly interested in getting the most out of your coffee, I can't express enough the need for freshness, both with the roast as well as the grind. I look at it this way, as other than water, coffee is the most drank beverage of mine, so why not make the effort to make it as enjoyable as possible.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #108

Registry
I have really enjoyed losing quite a bit of my ignorance about coffee from all the experts in this thread. I've consumed it for 50 years but never really paid that much attention to the finer aspects of a good brew.

I hate to be greedy but can I coax anyone in the know to harp in on the finer aspects of tea? I thought I was doing well using "organic" Lipton tea bags.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #109

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Lipton, the Folger's of tea.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #110

Name: Thomas
Trailer: RVision
Pennsylvania
Coleman has a newer self contained 10 cup that works off a 1# canister. The older version is available used online. We have used it for 20 years. Works on a camp stove or rv kitchen range.
TMccaffrey1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #111

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
I have really enjoyed losing quite a bit of my ignorance about coffee from all the experts in this thread. I've consumed it for 50 years but never really paid that much attention to the finer aspects of a good brew.

I hate to be greedy but can I coax anyone in the know to harp in on the finer aspects of tea? I thought I was doing well using "organic" Lipton tea bags.
get a tea diffuser... this can be a stainless screen ball on a little chain, or it can be screen insert for a small teapot. I particularly like the Bee House teapots made in Japan, beautiful simple classic design and glazes, example: https://www.amazon.com/Round-White-T.../dp/B001GFDN5M

whole teas can be grouped into three categories, not counting the flavored dreck... green tea, oolong, and black teas, where oolongs are half roasted and black teas are fully roasted. each should be seeped a different length of time, in water of a somewhat different temperature but I forget all the specifics as I only rarely drink tea.
Attached Thumbnails
31sbhFGMGvL[1].jpg  
Old 12-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #112

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Lipton, the Folger's of tea.
That is correct that's why I need some education if anyone would like to share. I go through periods where I need something lighter and tea fits the bill.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #113

Montana
This is where I get all my tea. Can't go wrong with this company, though of course there are other quality tea merchants. Tea is still in its early stages in the US, so unlike coffee, unless you're really lucky, there's probably not good tea in your town, even if there is a fancy shop with giant glass jars of tea on the wall. So I shop online.

Using some kind of infuser is the easiest way to get into it. I learned by just using quality leaves, right in the mug I drink out of. Drink till about 1/4 of the liquid is left, then add more hot water. Depending on the tea, you can do this 3-5 or more times. Almost all high quality tea leaves will sink to the bottom fairly quickly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1865.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	126757

Other times I like to use a gaiwan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	extra-large-white-gaiwain-copy.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	126756

But if you're looking for easy, either an infuser or just loose tea leaves in a mug are about as bare bones as you can get for a hot morning beverage. Just like coffee, there's a learning curve as far as how much to use, how long to steep and water temperature. But I find that following the directions is always a good starting point. The site I linked has brewing videos, too.

Honestly though, go to a natural food store and look around the coffee/tea section. There are some really decent bagged teas with mixes of black tea and other things to taste more like coffee, plus coffee substitutes like roasted barley. If you just want an occasional break from coffee there really are good teas in bags in a lot of stores.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #114

Registry
Wow, you are a hot drink connoisseur. Have you tried Yerba Mate? I had a friend from Argentina who lived on that stuff.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #115

Montana
Not really, but I'm good at playing one on the internet

Over the last 5 or so years I've been caring more about the quality of the products I use, and the quality of my process for making them (cooking, coffee, tea etc), but I still don't really know a thing. I think some people are more drawn to perfecting processes and some people just want to get on with other things in life so they don't care to spend as much time. Right now I'm deep into sourdough baking. Can't make it work in the camper but anytime I'm in a house I bake.

It's similar to going down the Amazon or other internet review rabbit hole of any product you want to buy. With the internet, we can know so much about a product, not just what the locals in our region know. Rather than just buying something, like you would have before, you get online and research it, read reviews, get educated on what's good quality and what's not before you buy. That's all I do with coffee and tea. Why did that cafe have so much better coffee than I can make at home? Suddenly 3 hours of internet searching later and I'm trying a new method and know so much more than I used to...

Loose leaf tea is great to get into but definitely not necessary if you just need an occasional break from coffee. I've definitely got some tea bags in my cupboard (still like sleepy time tea), and there's nothing wrong with them.

i got into Mate for a bit a while back, before I got into tea. I remember really liking it. For whatever reason I forgot about it for a while, then after I got really into tea, I remembered it and decided to start drinking it again. I should probably try it again, but I remember that time thinking it tasted like cigarette butts. Yuck. No idea if that was just my taste buds at the time or if I got a bad batch or what, but I didn't like it.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #116

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOGDOG View Post
I use a moka pot that makes about 10 oz of coffee (just enough for me). I't forces the water from the bottom reservoir, through the grounds and then into the top reservoir. The water is passed though the coffee grounds only once unlike a percolator. The directions say to fill the coffee basket up to the top, this makes very strong espresso like coffee. I don't care for that so I only put two spoons in and get the strength that I like.

I’ve been using a similar pot for a long time. They work very well. At home, I have an electric burr grinder and use French roast beans. On the road, I use the same pot with store bought ground espresso beans. Moka pots are lightweight, work well and last forever. The only “wear” part is the rubber gasket which is easy to replace and available in most Italian or Cuban markets.

Almost every Italian household uses one of these every day.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #117

Registry
That's a pretty informative site for tea. Do you order from them?
Old 12-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #118

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Moka pot....it won't balance on all gas stove burners as the diameter of the pot is sometimes smaller than the gap between the ends of the burner support rings. In those cases you need a special trivet to bridge across the gap.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #119

Montana
Quote:
That's a pretty informative site for tea. Do you order from them?
They're the only place I order tea from.

In the past I've tried some teas from this place. They were great, too, but there's something about Seven Cups I really like, including the yearly "tea tours" they put on in China. They're based in Tucson and I stopped into the tea house when I went through there a few years ago. I just like the company and people.

But there are definitely other good places to get your tea if you happen to get really into it.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #120

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Moka pot....it won't balance on all gas stove burners as the diameter of the pot is sometimes smaller than the gap between the ends of the burner support rings. In those cases you need a special trivet to bridge across the gap.
I've run into this, too. I can tell they'd work fine in my camper, but a lot of the newer gas stoves people have in their homes have really large gaps in the burner covers for whatever reason and the moka pots don't span it.