Coffee Cups/Makers - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #121

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I've run into this, too. I can tell they'd work fine in my camper, but a lot of the newer gas stoves people have in their homes have really large gaps in the burner covers for whatever reason and the moka pots don't span it.
I don't imagine it would be that difficult to come up with a small grate to bridge the gaps.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #122

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
...So last spring I got myself an Aeropress. If someone doesn't like to experiment and play with variables like grind, temperature, water to coffee ratio, brew time etc and you're more like "press the button and wait" to make your coffee, the aeropress is not for you...
I will disagree with that statement. I don't like to experiment. I just want my coffee to taste the same every time, and I'm satisfied with how it tastes from my Aeropress. If it starts tasting differently, it's time to chuck what's left of the old bag of Starbucks House Blend and buy a new bag. (Jim is probably gagging about now.) I add about 2 tablespoons of heavy cream, and just a smidgen of local honey.

I do drink more tea than coffee, though. Loose-leaf Tarajulie from Darlene's Tea Port (web store), straight up.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:11 AM   #123

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I will disagree with that statement. I don't like to experiment. I just want my coffee to taste the same every time, and I'm satisfied with how it tastes from my Aeropress. If it starts tasting differently, it's time to chuck what's left of the old bag of Starbucks House Blend and buy a new bag. (Jim is probably gagging about now.) I add about 2 tablespoons of heavy cream, and just a smidgen of local honey.

I do drink more tea than coffee, though. Loose-leaf Tarajulie from Darlene's Tea Port (web store), straight up.
I agree with Mike to disagree. I had an Aeropress and experimented with it a lot. It’s forte is that is capable of making exceptionally great coffee and can do so without electricity. I just found it too much bother to make the amount of coffee I drink every morning. I gave my Aeropress to a young woman (an employee at the UPS store) when I was in Minnesota two years ago. In retrospect, I probably should have kept it as an emergency back-up rather than the 6-cup SS percolator and the single cup pour-over cone I keep in the trailer, as I rarely need a back-up coffee brewing method and what I perceive as cumbersome I could deal with on those rare occasions.
And while I would disagree with Mike that he likes his “coffee” with heavy cream and honey (Jim IMHO is right, it is a coffee flavored drink), I see no problem with that. One’s likes and dislikes are tantamount. If someone is happy with adding chocolate, cream, sugar, vinegar, Tabasco, or whatever to the fluid that is pure coffee, I would say “go for it.” If they are happy with preground (stale) Folger’s from the grocery store, K-cups from a Keurig, a teaspoon of “instant” coffee in lukewarm water, or a well-done ribeye steak doused with ketchup, so be it. Taste, as well as preparation method, is subjective and personal, and everyone is entitled to enjoy consumables prepared to their personal likes.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #124

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
One’s likes and dislikes are tantamount. If someone is happy with adding chocolate, cream, sugar, vinegar, Tabasco, or whatever to the fluid that is pure coffee, I would say “go for it.” If they are happy with preground (stale) Folger’s from the grocery store, K-cups from a Keurig, a teaspoon of “instant” coffee in lukewarm water, or a well-done ribeye steak doused with ketchup, so be it. Taste, as well as preparation method, is subjective and personal, and everyone is entitled to enjoy consumables prepared to their personal likes.
Think you've hit the nail on the head Carl....but ketchup should be outlawed for anything IMHO
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #125

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Merry Christmas!
Attached Images

Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #126

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If it starts tasting differently, it's time to chuck what's left of the old bag of Starbucks House Blend and buy a new bag. (Jim is probably gagging about now.) .
But you just had to say it, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Think you've hit the nail on the head Carl....but ketchup should be outlawed for anything IMHO
I pretty much agree, but do use it when there is no other option for a better sauce or condiment available. I cringe when I see it put on eggs or mac and cheese.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #127

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I pretty much agree, but do use it when there is no other option for a better sauce or condiment available. I cringe when I see it put on eggs or mac and cheese.
But Jim, you can relish (pun intended!) that neither those eggs nor the Mac and cheese will be entering your mouth. Possibly a little known fact, but ketchup is about 50% sugar.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #128

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I like a good catsup with french fries, and maybe even over meatloaf. but I am picky, none of the tomato flavored cornsyrup stuff from the major brands, my current favorite is Sir Kensingtons, made with cane sugar, and more tomatoes than anything.
Attached Thumbnails
classic_ketchup_squeeze_main_image-7e408db0467dce558f6d210bfb624203[1].png  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #129

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Seems like about everything is 50% sugar, these days.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #130

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Like me? [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #131

Montana
Depends on your diet!
Old 12-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #132

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
FWIW, that Kensington ketchup, 16g of it has 3g of sugar, which is less than half as much as regular ketchup. it also has less salt.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #133

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
FWIW, that Kensington ketchup, 16g of it has 3g of sugar, which is less than half as much as regular ketchup. it also has less salt.

Then, what's the point?
Old 12-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #134

Montana
Cool. And my post wasn't directed at that product (which happens to be sitting in my fridge at the moment, too), but food in general. I check labels now a lot more than I used to. Salt is good to keep an eye on but can be really specific to different people. I don't have an issue with salt so it doesn't concern me as much as sugar.

I was at a diabetic friends' house over the summer, eating salsa before dinner, and thought "man this stuff is sweet!" and mentioned it. She took a look at the label and yep...a good amount of sugar. It went in the trash. Industrial food motto seems to be "put sugar in it and they'll eat it!"
Old 12-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #135

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
I was at a diabetic friends' house over the summer, eating salsa before dinner, and thought "man this stuff is sweet!" and mentioned it. She took a look at the label and yep...a good amount of sugar. It went in the trash. Industrial food motto seems to be "put sugar in it and they'll eat it!"
sugar and/or fat and/or salt.