Cold to warm climate question. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Cold to warm climate question.

When leaving from a cold climate ( 10 degrees) to a warm climate (70 degrees) what do you do, with the stuff, you don't want to freeze? I have a 2 door pickup, I could put some stuff in the cab, but everything will not fit.
I have a electric heater -should I warmup the Casita before I leave?
( I don't think the heat will last very long on the road when traveling)
Any Ideas?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When we left home (NW Wisconsin) for the South last year it was -18 deg F
We have a pickup with a topper .. We placed items we did not wish to freeze in good coolers along with a jug/s filled with warm / hot water . We traveled with the coolers in the bed of the truck . This works for most things except maybe delicate vegetables like lettuce
Our first days drive is a long one ,trying to find warmer weather or if like last year , refill the jugs with hot water . After a couple days we are usually far enough South that freezing is not an issue.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The last time I did it I warmer the trailer up before loading it up. Liquids are really are the only items you really need to worry much about. I found that for the two days of travel in freezing weather that it took to get to slightly warmer weather where freezing wasn't a concern that items were fine inside the trailer, I am assuming your are doing to be stopping overnight along the way and rewarming the trailer again? I didn't pack any large filled water jugs etc - filled those up once out of the real cold weather. Did keep a large bottle of drinking water in the fridge and it did not freeze up during the day travel. The wine didnt freeze up either ;-) Like Steve the first day or so I will drive for extended amount of time to get the real cold weather behind me fast. I also tend to carry a min. amount of fresh food products so that it will all fit in the fridge. Do a big shop once in warmer weather.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Warming it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
When leaving from a cold climate ( 10 degrees) to a warm climate (70 degrees) what do you do, with the stuff, you don't want to freeze? I have a 2 door pickup, I could put some stuff in the cab, but everything will not fit.
I have a electric heater -should I warmup the Casita before I leave?
( I don't think the heat will last very long on the road when traveling)
Any Ideas?
We never shut are trailer off when it's at home. If it's cold we run the heater in the trailer. Hence when we leave in cold weather the trailer is generally warm enough to make it to someplace above freezing.

Fortunately we never wait for it to get much below freezing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:12 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Does anyone travel with the furnace on?
Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I travel with the furnace thermostat at the lowest setting. Keeps it about 55 degrees. I just returned from Camp Verde, AZ getting home to 12 degrees here in Michigan. Some would say I'm nuts for leaving 70s for teens temps. Maybe they're right.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have NO propane furnace only electric heater. I will try the hot water in a cooler trick and I will warm up the Casita before I leave. (Need to arrange trailer anyway )
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Prior to leaving home if the trailer was winterized I blow the antifreeze out the waterlines with air and rinse out the water heater with clean water. This makes it easier to de winterize once you get to wamer weather. Flush out your water lines first then open your WH bypass.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Kevin, maybe if you listed some specific items you don't want to freeze you could get tips aimed at those items? I, too, live in the frozen north!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Remember that a lot of products we take for granted in the North are difficult / impossible to find in the South . Try and find windshield washer fluid rated for -35 below in Florida . Two years ago ,it took trips to 3 different stores to get some -50 below RV antifreeze to winterize for the trip home . We now carry a couple gallons with us on our trip.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Remember that a lot of products we take for granted in the North are difficult / impossible to find in the South . Try and find windshield washer fluid rated for -35 below in Florida . Two years ago ,it took trips to 3 different stores to get some -50 below RV antifreeze to winterize for the trip home . We now carry a couple gallons with us on our trip.
Good point!

I actually keep a gallon of winter rated windshield wash in the back of my car at all times - nothing worse than running out of windshield wash at the worst possible time. You can go through a lot of it when traveling on heavily sanded/salted roads in winter. I actually wish there was a early warning light that would come on before you run out! Perhaps some cars have it but mine don't.

I also keep a gallon on RV anti freeze in the back hatch of my trailer as well. When returning to cold weather from warmer temps I will drain everything and pump the anti freeze completely back into the system before I tow through freezing temps again.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote