Colorado RV Show - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Colorado RV Show

Today we went to the RV show down at the Denver Convention center. While I used to go with grandparents when I was little, my family had never been to see all that the RV world has to offer. It was really quite fun!

We had two favorites out of all those giant rigs... a class C that the kids loved because they loved the layout AND that they could "do stuff" while driving down the road, and our son loved the A frame pop up. Aside from that, it was fun to go in and out of all the really big rigs.

We didn't expect to see anything fiberglass, but to our surprise and delight, there was a Happier Camper on display AND four Bigfoots! The 25 foot, a smaller unit and two truck units.

All in all, it was a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, we agreed that our little (new to us) 16 foot Scamp is exactly what we are glad we have!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Paul O.'s Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Posts: 1,669
Thanks for posting this, I have been thinking of going, but have not made up my mind.
Paul O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
ZachO's Avatar
 
Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Posts: 2,467
Registry
Nice.

I went to one in Minnesota a few winters back. At the time I had a motorhome, and so I was looking more at the new motorhomes than trailers. What I remember was that I was very unimpressed with the layout of motorhomes. They were all cramped and trying to fit too many comforts into a small space. The nicest, most expensive ones (in the class C or smaller size) felt like a tiny, cramped airplane.

The trailers on the other hand had nice comfy layouts, but I didn't spend much time in them. Now I wish I had.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
emij's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Posts: 503
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Nice.

I went to one in Minnesota a few winters back. At the time I had a motorhome, and so I was looking more at the new motorhomes than trailers. What I remember was that I was very unimpressed with the layout of motorhomes. They were all cramped and trying to fit too many comforts into a small space. The nicest, most expensive ones (in the class C or smaller size) felt like a tiny, cramped airplane.

The trailers on the other hand had nice comfy layouts, but I didn't spend much time in them. Now I wish I had.
That's interesting...we sort of felt the same way. And even the really spacious ones, often only had room to sleep two comfortably. It seems like many, many rigs are designed for retirees. We only saw a handful that would be good for families because they had bunks, and those were trailers. Of course my preference is individual sleeping spaces so we aren't converting tables to beds every day, so there is that!

We loved looking at the Airstreams and the Rpods and the Shasta reinvented because we like the smaller sizes. So many interesting camping options and people to buy. There really is a camper for every camping style!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Thom Rowland's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Posts: 152
We usually go to the RV show at the National Western Stock Show Complex. I think it is in March.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Posts: 944
Spent 7 hours there yesterday. About an hour too much. No Nest, but didn't really expect one. Took two groups of friends. It is clear why they make so many types, as we were all drawn to very different segments.

Lots of niches, starting over $10,000 to get you off the ground.

One friend nailed it on small units. The tear drops, and edgy looking small adventure campers, have an image & lifestyle appeal to milllenial$. The A frames and the 40 year old fiberglass egg designs are niches.

We saw two brands of A frames. One dealer showing them hid 4 out of 5 units in his back row. That says it. A friend & I liked them, bears don't.

Fiberglass eggs are another niche. Happier Camper nice, but not for me.

Bigfoots are their own niches, as are $40,000 Basecamps & Nests. Nests could stir things up. We'll see in a couple years if Keystone, or Forest River offer any. Not holding my breath. All Airstreams (Thor) are niche trailers. At least the Happier Camper was in the mid twenties, but so we're some bigger stick builts one friend liked. Friends thought Happier Camper was pricey in mid $ twenties. Same with Bigfoots in $40-50 range. Basecamp at $35-40, not cheap, compared to A frame in mid teens.

Biggest surprise was all the outside kitchens, tvs, & stereos hanging on the outsides of stick builts.

If I had to leave with something, it might have been a Hymer van. But it was not lust at first sight. I expect I'll make extended road trips in my Sprinter.

Want to make a killing? Figure out what can be towed by a self-driving Prius/Volt that you share with the "community". In ten years, they don't want us owning Rams with Cummins diesels, folks.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,450
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
...Want to make a killing? Figure out what can be towed by a self-driving Prius/Volt that you share with the "community". In ten years, they don't want us owning Rams with Cummins diesels, folks.
It wouldn't surprise me if the option is there within 10 years, but I'll doubt I'll live long enough for it to be the only option. New cars being sold today easily last 15-20 years. Too many out there to outlaw them all. I predict the death of the self-driving, internal combustion automobile will be slow and protracted.

If it comes to a small electric/hybrid car, I already have a favorite towable RV, and it's molded fiberglass (at least the parts that aren't fabric). I like that the stand-up section is a real floor off the ground and the bed sleeps longways. It's a really clever design with space to store clothes (or even a porta-potty) out of the way when opened.
Lees-ure Lite Trailers
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lees-ure Lite.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	114952

I also appreciate that Lees-ure Lite is another small, factory direct company like Scamp. You probably won't find their offerings at any of the big dealer-sponsored RV shows, either.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Posts: 944
Jon, I always love your thinking. I expect self driving cars, and "community" owned cars will be forced upon us by car insurers. Once they are confident that a self-driving car is safer than you, your insurance will skyrocket. Perfection is not required.
They are working through tough moral calls. Say you are two blocks from home, turn a corner & two kids chase a ball into the street. A new mom pushing a stroller is on the left, and a telephone pole protected by concrete is on the right. Quick, what to do?
If it was me, it probably would sacrifice me to the telephone pole. Don't laugh. Does it do the same if A young mom with kids aboard was driving? Lawyers, get ready.
A friend says her Tesla can already pull into and out of her garage with no one at controls. Says she could likely drive from Colorado Springs to Cheyenne on I-25 without turning steering wheel. Jon, Get ready.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
Commercial Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Jon, I always love your thinking. I expect self driving cars, and "community" owned cars will be forced upon us by car insurers. Once they are confident that a self-driving car is safer than you, your insurance will skyrocket. Perfection is not required.
They are working through tough moral calls. Say you are two blocks from home, turn a corner & two kids chase a ball into the street. A new mom pushing a stroller is on the left, and a telephone pole protected by concrete is on the right. Quick, what to do?
If it was me, it probably would sacrifice me to the telephone pole. Don't laugh. Does it do the same if A young mom with kids aboard was driving? Lawyers, get ready.
A friend says her Tesla can already pull into and out of her garage with no one at controls. Says she could likely drive from Colorado Springs to Cheyenne on I-25 without turning steering wheel. Jon, Get ready.
We know the Tesla will pull a fg trailer just check out the Tesla pulling the HC1 thread.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the option is there within 10 years, but I'll doubt I'll live long enough for it to be the only option. New cars being sold today easily last 15-20 years. Too many out there to outlaw them all. I predict the death of the self-driving, internal combustion automobile will be slow and protracted.

If it comes to a small electric/hybrid car, I already have a favorite towable RV, and it's molded fiberglass (at least the parts that aren't fabric). I like that the stand-up section is a real floor off the ground and the bed sleeps longways. It's a really clever design with space to store clothes (or even a porta-potty) out of the way when opened.
Lees-ure Lite Trailers
Attachment 114952
I also appreciate that Lees-ure Lite is another small, factory direct company like Scamp. You probably won't find their offerings at any of the big dealer-sponsored RV shows, either.
I'm with you. That Lees-ure Lite is slick, they way the tent supports fan out when you open it. One motorcycle owner said he could be off his bike and inside the trailer in 40 seconds. I think there actually is a dealer or two in the USA... Texas Trikes is one of them, I believe.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Posts: 1,300
Registry
Beats setting up a tent, but still a tent. I could see it if I were solo maybe...and 20 years younger.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,450
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Beats setting up a tent, but still a tent. I could see it if I were solo maybe...and 20 years younger.
The context of the comment is a hypothetical world in which there are no tow vehicles big enough for even a 13' molded fiberglass trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Posts: 1,300
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The context of the comment is a hypothetical world in which there are no tow vehicles big enough for even a 13' molded fiberglass trailer.
Yeah, I know. I just don't want that world.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,450
Registry
Edit... meant to say...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...I predict the death of the driver-operated, internal combustion automobile will be slow and protracted...
Probably obvious from context, but maybe not...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show us your Little Stinkers Gina D. General Chat 125 08-13-2007 07:12 AM
Victoria's Secret style show Charles Watts Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 6 12-08-2005 07:22 AM
CHECK LISTS - IíLL SHOW YOU MINE Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 34 06-15-2003 08:48 PM
Abbotsford BC- Early Bird RV Show General Chat 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM
Chicago RV Show General Chat 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.