Colorado RV Show - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Colorado RV Show

Today we went to the RV show down at the Denver Convention center. While I used to go with grandparents when I was little, my family had never been to see all that the RV world has to offer. It was really quite fun!

We had two favorites out of all those giant rigs... a class C that the kids loved because they loved the layout AND that they could "do stuff" while driving down the road, and our son loved the A frame pop up. Aside from that, it was fun to go in and out of all the really big rigs.

We didn't expect to see anything fiberglass, but to our surprise and delight, there was a Happier Camper on display AND four Bigfoots! The 25 foot, a smaller unit and two truck units.

All in all, it was a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, we agreed that our little (new to us) 16 foot Scamp is exactly what we are glad we have!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Thanks for posting this, I have been thinking of going, but have not made up my mind.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Nice.

I went to one in Minnesota a few winters back. At the time I had a motorhome, and so I was looking more at the new motorhomes than trailers. What I remember was that I was very unimpressed with the layout of motorhomes. They were all cramped and trying to fit too many comforts into a small space. The nicest, most expensive ones (in the class C or smaller size) felt like a tiny, cramped airplane.

The trailers on the other hand had nice comfy layouts, but I didn't spend much time in them. Now I wish I had.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #4

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Nice.

I went to one in Minnesota a few winters back. At the time I had a motorhome, and so I was looking more at the new motorhomes than trailers. What I remember was that I was very unimpressed with the layout of motorhomes. They were all cramped and trying to fit too many comforts into a small space. The nicest, most expensive ones (in the class C or smaller size) felt like a tiny, cramped airplane.

The trailers on the other hand had nice comfy layouts, but I didn't spend much time in them. Now I wish I had.
That's interesting...we sort of felt the same way. And even the really spacious ones, often only had room to sleep two comfortably. It seems like many, many rigs are designed for retirees. We only saw a handful that would be good for families because they had bunks, and those were trailers. Of course my preference is individual sleeping spaces so we aren't converting tables to beds every day, so there is that!

We loved looking at the Airstreams and the Rpods and the Shasta reinvented because we like the smaller sizes. So many interesting camping options and people to buy. There really is a camper for every camping style!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
We usually go to the RV show at the National Western Stock Show Complex. I think it is in March.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Spent 7 hours there yesterday. About an hour too much. No Nest, but didn't really expect one. Took two groups of friends. It is clear why they make so many types, as we were all drawn to very different segments.

Lots of niches, starting over $10,000 to get you off the ground.

One friend nailed it on small units. The tear drops, and edgy looking small adventure campers, have an image & lifestyle appeal to milllenial$. The A frames and the 40 year old fiberglass egg designs are niches.

We saw two brands of A frames. One dealer showing them hid 4 out of 5 units in his back row. That says it. A friend & I liked them, bears don't.

Fiberglass eggs are another niche. Happier Camper nice, but not for me.

Bigfoots are their own niches, as are $40,000 Basecamps & Nests. Nests could stir things up. We'll see in a couple years if Keystone, or Forest River offer any. Not holding my breath. All Airstreams (Thor) are niche trailers. At least the Happier Camper was in the mid twenties, but so we're some bigger stick builts one friend liked. Friends thought Happier Camper was pricey in mid $ twenties. Same with Bigfoots in $40-50 range. Basecamp at $35-40, not cheap, compared to A frame in mid teens.

Biggest surprise was all the outside kitchens, tvs, & stereos hanging on the outsides of stick builts.

If I had to leave with something, it might have been a Hymer van. But it was not lust at first sight. I expect I'll make extended road trips in my Sprinter.

Want to make a killing? Figure out what can be towed by a self-driving Prius/Volt that you share with the "community". In ten years, they don't want us owning Rams with Cummins diesels, folks.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
...Want to make a killing? Figure out what can be towed by a self-driving Prius/Volt that you share with the "community". In ten years, they don't want us owning Rams with Cummins diesels, folks.
It wouldn't surprise me if the option is there within 10 years, but I'll doubt I'll live long enough for it to be the only option. New cars being sold today easily last 15-20 years. Too many out there to outlaw them all. I predict the death of the self-driving, internal combustion automobile will be slow and protracted.

If it comes to a small electric/hybrid car, I already have a favorite towable RV, and it's molded fiberglass (at least the parts that aren't fabric). I like that the stand-up section is a real floor off the ground and the bed sleeps longways. It's a really clever design with space to store clothes (or even a porta-potty) out of the way when opened.
Lees-ure Lite Trailers
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lees-ure Lite.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	114952

I also appreciate that Lees-ure Lite is another small, factory direct company like Scamp. You probably won't find their offerings at any of the big dealer-sponsored RV shows, either.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Jon, I always love your thinking. I expect self driving cars, and "community" owned cars will be forced upon us by car insurers. Once they are confident that a self-driving car is safer than you, your insurance will skyrocket. Perfection is not required.
They are working through tough moral calls. Say you are two blocks from home, turn a corner & two kids chase a ball into the street. A new mom pushing a stroller is on the left, and a telephone pole protected by concrete is on the right. Quick, what to do?
If it was me, it probably would sacrifice me to the telephone pole. Don't laugh. Does it do the same if A young mom with kids aboard was driving? Lawyers, get ready.
A friend says her Tesla can already pull into and out of her garage with no one at controls. Says she could likely drive from Colorado Springs to Cheyenne on I-25 without turning steering wheel. Jon, Get ready.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Jon, I always love your thinking. I expect self driving cars, and "community" owned cars will be forced upon us by car insurers. Once they are confident that a self-driving car is safer than you, your insurance will skyrocket. Perfection is not required.
They are working through tough moral calls. Say you are two blocks from home, turn a corner & two kids chase a ball into the street. A new mom pushing a stroller is on the left, and a telephone pole protected by concrete is on the right. Quick, what to do?
If it was me, it probably would sacrifice me to the telephone pole. Don't laugh. Does it do the same if A young mom with kids aboard was driving? Lawyers, get ready.
A friend says her Tesla can already pull into and out of her garage with no one at controls. Says she could likely drive from Colorado Springs to Cheyenne on I-25 without turning steering wheel. Jon, Get ready.
We know the Tesla will pull a fg trailer just check out the Tesla pulling the HC1 thread.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the option is there within 10 years, but I'll doubt I'll live long enough for it to be the only option. New cars being sold today easily last 15-20 years. Too many out there to outlaw them all. I predict the death of the self-driving, internal combustion automobile will be slow and protracted.

If it comes to a small electric/hybrid car, I already have a favorite towable RV, and it's molded fiberglass (at least the parts that aren't fabric). I like that the stand-up section is a real floor off the ground and the bed sleeps longways. It's a really clever design with space to store clothes (or even a porta-potty) out of the way when opened.
Lees-ure Lite Trailers
Attachment 114952
I also appreciate that Lees-ure Lite is another small, factory direct company like Scamp. You probably won't find their offerings at any of the big dealer-sponsored RV shows, either.
I'm with you. That Lees-ure Lite is slick, they way the tent supports fan out when you open it. One motorcycle owner said he could be off his bike and inside the trailer in 40 seconds. I think there actually is a dealer or two in the USA... Texas Trikes is one of them, I believe.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Beats setting up a tent, but still a tent. I could see it if I were solo maybe...and 20 years younger.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Beats setting up a tent, but still a tent. I could see it if I were solo maybe...and 20 years younger.
The context of the comment is a hypothetical world in which there are no tow vehicles big enough for even a 13' molded fiberglass trailer.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #13

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
The context of the comment is a hypothetical world in which there are no tow vehicles big enough for even a 13' molded fiberglass trailer.
Yeah, I know. I just don't want that world.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Edit... meant to say...
Quote:
...I predict the death of the driver-operated, internal combustion automobile will be slow and protracted...
Probably obvious from context, but maybe not...